AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Ohio Turnpike News  (Read 31290 times)

Bitmapped

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:36:44 PM
Re: Ohio Turnpike News
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2023, 03:14:29 PM »

What is the logic of making the western portion free (other than the state line extortion toll)?  I can understand around Youngstown, but not the rural area west of Toledo.

The Turnpike is following the Massachusetts Turnpike and the Pennsylvania Turnpike which IIRC made their western portions free (although the Mass Pike added them back).
I presume the PA Turnpike did that because it's the Pittsburgh metro, which seems similar to the Youngstown situation.  The MassPike was briefly free west of exit 6 because the people in the western part of the state complained about tolls paying for the Big Dig.  Does a similar type of complaint exist in western Ohio?

The free part of the PA Turnpike is not Pittsburgh metro. Pittsburgh metro area is Cranberry exit (I-79/US 19) to Irwin (US 30). PTC made this section free because there was relatively little traffic traveling between the interchanges in the free section, meaning lost revenue was minimal, and there was no practical way to keep a toll plaza in the middle of the Cranberry interchange as they reconfigured it to also serve I-79.

Ohio Turnpike is doing its toll-free zones for a similar reason: A relatively low amount of traffic between the interchanges in the free zones mean revenue loss will be minimal and not having to operate these toll plazas will save money.

thenetwork

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:28:55 AM
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2023, 10:45:17 PM »

What is the logic of making the western portion free (other than the state line extortion toll)?  I can understand around Youngstown, but not the rural area west of Toledo.

The Turnpike is following the Massachusetts Turnpike and the Pennsylvania Turnpike which IIRC made their western portions free (although the Mass Pike added them back).
I presume the PA Turnpike did that because it's the Pittsburgh metro, which seems similar to the Youngstown situation.  The MassPike was briefly free west of exit 6 because the people in the western part of the state complained about tolls paying for the Big Dig.  Does a similar type of complaint exist in western Ohio?

The free part of the PA Turnpike is not Pittsburgh metro. Pittsburgh metro area is Cranberry exit (I-79/US 19) to Irwin (US 30). PTC made this section free because there was relatively little traffic traveling between the interchanges in the free section, meaning lost revenue was minimal, and there was no practical way to keep a toll plaza in the middle of the Cranberry interchange as they reconfigured it to also serve I-79.

Not to mention that the PA Turnpike can still get at your wallet in the western Free Zone if you exit the Turnpike at I-376 and go north or south to either New Castle or the airport, accordingly.

thenetwork

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2023, 11:15:17 PM »

Sounds like the Turnpike will flip the switch to the new tolling system (and the new "free" sections on each end) next week, right after.the Thanksgivine Weekend rush:

https://fox8.com/news/new-turnpike-tolling-system-to-launch-after-busy-thanksgiving-travel-period/

PurdueBill

• Last Login: December 20, 2023, 04:13:55 PM
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2023, 08:54:44 PM »

Sounds like the Turnpike will flip the switch to the new tolling system (and the new "free" sections on each end) next week, right after.the Thanksgivine Weekend rush:

https://fox8.com/news/new-turnpike-tolling-system-to-launch-after-busy-thanksgiving-travel-period/

After you posted (the next day), WJW revised it:
*Editor’s note: This story has been corrected to say the full launch will happen after Christmas.

Probably wise to wait until the rest of the holiday travel is over too.  If the system bombs somehow, it would be brutal when busy with holiday travelers. 
(If the system did implode somehow, would they have to give free travel to those affected?)

thenetwork

« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2023, 11:18:10 AM »

After you posted (the next day), WJW revised it:
*Editor’s note: This story has been corrected to say the full launch will happen after Christmas.

Probably wise to wait until the rest of the holiday travel is over too.  If the system bombs somehow, it would be brutal when busy with holiday travelers. 
(If the system did implode somehow, would they have to give free travel to those affected?)

[/quote

It would probably make the most sense now to flip all the switches at 12:01AM on New Years Day, since I believe there will be an overall toll increase at that time anyways.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 09:33:38 PM
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2024, 12:15:33 PM »

Just looked ad there's still no news on the new toll system starting up

Would have thought they'd get it done by now

jmacswimmer

• BING BONG

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 04:24:20 PM
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2024, 12:26:04 PM »

Just looked ad there's still no news on the new toll system starting up

Would have thought they'd get it done by now

Great minds think alike - I was already writing this post and saw yours pop up when I hit preview. Looks like they did do the annual increase for the old system on 1/1, but nothing new seems to have come out about activating the new system. I passed thru the Eastgate & Newton Falls plazas back in mid-December and both looked ready to go whenever - at Eastgate, the eventual eastbound lanes bypassing the plaza were fully paved & striped. I wonder whether things have been popping up during testing that require additional work prior to activation, or if some of the recent winter weather has even delayed activation.

The new feedback displays already activated at some of the side plazas (I passed thru Streetsboro both ways heading to & from Cleveland) are really nice and easy to read - displayed "E-ZPASS ACCEPTED" in large letters.

Here's Eastgate & Newton Falls heading west:

And heading back east - side story at Eastgate, I cleared one of the E-ZPass lanes no problem but the gate didn't rise for the car behind me. Good thing I was in front of them :ded:

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

wanderer2575

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:47:27 PM
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2024, 02:05:34 PM »

I wonder if it's simply that, having waited for the year-end holidays to pass, OTC decided it missed its window and it's too cold/snowy/windy now to have crews out to do lane re-striping and removing the five zillion rivets holding the greenout sign covers at the new mainline barriers.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.