News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois 53 Extension

Started by Brandon, July 28, 2010, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

Quote from: mgk920 on April 19, 2012, 02:03:56 AM
Remember that when the first part of I-355 opened north of I-55 (late 1980s), it was four lanes.  Due to traffic, it was upgraded to six lanes a couple of years later.

Mike
While that is true, the ISTHA actually did a smart thing by making the bridges wide enough for 6 when 355 was originally built in 1989. There was also no truck ban either.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

sandwalk

I haven't driven through the area in a while so I'm unaware if this is old news, but I was on I-80 WB near Joliet approaching I-355 NB.  The control city for NB 355 was 'Rockford' (instead of West Suburbs).  I thought that was pretty interesting (and confusing for some, I suppose).  However, Rockford was my destination so the control city designation made sense to me....so maybe a lot of travelers do use I-80/I-355/I-290 to bypass downtown Chicago (and the Tri-State).

I wonder if the control city will change if/when IL-53 is built????

Brandon

Quote from: sandwalk on April 20, 2012, 08:49:10 PM
I haven't driven through the area in a while so I'm unaware if this is old news, but I was on I-80 WB near Joliet approaching I-355 NB.  The control city for NB 355 was 'Rockford' (instead of West Suburbs).  I thought that was pretty interesting (and confusing for some, I suppose).  However, Rockford was my destination so the control city designation made sense to me....so maybe a lot of travelers do use I-80/I-355/I-290 to bypass downtown Chicago (and the Tri-State).

I wonder if the control city will change if/when IL-53 is built????

I doubt it.  "Rockford" seems to be IDOT's control for I-355 at I-80.  The ISTHA control seems to be "West Suburbs".  The newer signs there on I-80 were installed by IDOT, and the older ones (in spite of the exit numbers) were installed by ISTHA.  You can tell from the stroke width on the word "EXIT" and on the number.  ISTHA's are narrower than IDOT's.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hobsini2

What I guess you probably would see as the control cities at the I-90 jct if/when 53 is extended would be Lake Geneva, Milwaukee, Waukegan, and/or Madison.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120507/news/705079911/

Tolling existing 53 is part of the plan. I hope it sppeds it up and for that matter I am with Brandon Toll them all end IDOT

mgk920

Quote from: 3467 on May 08, 2012, 05:19:49 PM

Tolling existing 53 is part of the plan. I hope it sppeds it up and for that matter I am with Brandon Toll them all end IDOT

Article is behind a pay-wall....

:banghead:

Mike

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on May 08, 2012, 07:57:03 PM
Quote from: 3467 on May 08, 2012, 05:19:49 PM

Article is behind a pay-wall....

Mike
I'm able to read the whole thing... It's the same as Brandon discussed at the meet though.

http://capitolfax.com/2012/05/08/morning-shorts-831/

Maybe you can avoid the pay wall through this link. The story describes how parts of existing free freeways will end up being part of tolled freeways in order to make them viabale projects.
The article does not mention how fast this would speed up route 53

breese

Here is a new planning report for Route 53 extension into Lake County.  It is written by consultants for the Illinois Tollway.

http://www.frego.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Council-Resolution-May9.pdf

I hope they go for Scenario E, which call for 3 lanes in each direction and a travel speed of 60 MPH.

I live near Route 53 and Lake Cook Road.  Rush hour traffic is horrendous in this area.

mgk920

It looks to me like a fancy-printed repeat of what was being discussed upthread.  Yes, anything less than 'E' will be functionally obsolete on the day that it opens, especially if the numbers given (actual counts of 100K+ AADT on the current IL 53 extension at Lake-Cook Rd) is correct.  Usually about 50K is the threshold for considering six-lane upgrades.

Remember that the Netherlands went all-in for the 'induced demand'/'let's not build what we need to prevent people from using their cars in order to save the environment' fallacy from the late 1970s though the 1990s and are now paying for it BIG TIME - they're laying out billions of Euros per year now playing 'catch up' with their highway system and have at least a decade to go before they will be mostly done.

Also, if you agree with us on these points, by all means - contact the ISTHA and let them know!

Mike

mukade

It sorta sounds like a longer, tolled version of the Keystone Parkway in Carmel Indiana.

Jordanah1

limited to 4 lanes, 45MPH? i didnt know flatlanders could be so stupid.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

Brandon

Quote from: Jordanah1 on June 28, 2012, 08:41:39 PM
limited to 4 lanes, 45MPH? i didnt know flatlanders could be so stupid.

1. It'll be outdated the minute it opens.  Watch for massive traffic backups and widening within two years.

2. No one will pay any heed to the asinine 45 mph limit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

hobsini2

It should be 6 lanes and 60 mph thru Lake County. I think IDiOT has influenced ISTHA.

JREwing78

I suspect the plan is to get the thing jammed in there, get people using it, tick them off with the congestion and low speed limits, and then get approval to put in upgrades. It's pretty savvy when you think about it.

Revive 755

^ Might work for the IL 120 portions, but I would not be surprised if ISHTA ends up signing some sort of long term agreement with Long Grove and/or Hawthorne Woods that prevents any easy fixes.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 10, 2012, 08:09:10 PM
^ Might work for the IL 120 portions, but I would not be surprised if ISHTA ends up signing some sort of long term agreement with Long Grove and/or Hawthorne Woods that prevents any easy fixes.

Fuck Long Grove and Hawthorne Woods.  In fact, I favor a full boycott of everyone of Long Grove's downtown area until the assholes get the point that IL-53 needs to be built, and built properly.

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on July 10, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on July 10, 2012, 08:09:10 PM

Fuck Long Grove and Hawthorne Woods.  In fact, I favor a full boycott of everyone of Long Grove's downtown area until the assholes get the point that IL-53 needs to be built, and built properly.
Brandon coming with the heat! I love it. Stick it to the man. In all seriousness, 53 has been long proposed (at least ever since I moved here in the early 80s) and people who moved into the area in the last 20 years IMO have no say or gripe to complain about because they knew it was coming.

Cam4rd98

Since I used to live near the area of the Illinois 53 extension I am here to suggest good tactics to use when building this highway. Even if trees have to be cut down trees in the way of the Illinois 53 highway, I think there is still a need on replacing those trees. Maybe if trees and plants get erected into the ground along the highway, It could block pollution from spreading around the area, for example Long Grove is a small village in Illinois and a peace and quiet town and a forest like area with lots of trees and not a lot of pollution and if the noise level could be kept down there would be a need for strong sound barriers along the highway where homes are near because then the noise level of traffic would be kept down. The highway would extend from Lake Cook Road North to the future IL-120 bypass and then follow along the 120 bypass going west untill 120 ends at U.S.12/Illinois 59 and then Illinois 53 would continue and follow along U.S. 12 and meet with the current
freeway in Genoa City in Wisconsin and then U.S. 12 through Fox lake to Genoa City would become U.S. 12 Business.

Cam the design is done and I would say the deal is done. You can look at the designslinked in this post The road is elevated so wetlands are not destroyed. Its expensive but after all these years I think it will be built soon rather than later.
Unlike others projects it all takes place in one county and IDOT and Pat Quinn are not involved

mgk920

If that road is built like is described above, it will be obsolete the day it opens.  The next question would then be - 'How long before it is upgraded?'.

:no:

Mike

Mike as I read the plan it wont be because as a new road ISTHA cam raise or lower prices to keep the volume they want which is a slow moving free flow. This is going to be a project we want to keep and eye for issues of congestion pricing and unique design.
It was almost more unique because the IL 120 part was planned as a tolled arterial not a tolled freeway.

Jordanah1

so you just toll the road untill it becomes more inconvinient than the already congested local roads are now? what is the point of building it then? i dont have a problem with it being an extension of the illinois toll road system, although i personaly hate toll roads, but to build an inadequite arterial were a high powered urban freeway is badly needed is just a stupid waste of money.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

I read it as ISTHA will toll it so it doesnt become congested. It will be expensive but not so expenive that traffic is moving at 70....more like 55-60( ten miles over the posted).
I really think the 45 is to pacify Long Grove like Lake Shore Drives 45 in Chicago.
I will admit its just hunches but ISTHA is not stupid

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.