Cultural items your age demographic should have knowledge of but you don’t

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 18, 2022, 09:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: skluth on December 22, 2022, 11:33:36 AM
.... The first two movies are really children's movies but every subsequent movie becomes more adult much like the main trio of Harry, Hermione, and Ron. 

That very much reflects the way the books evolved as well, becoming longer, more complicated, and considerably darker. I believe Rowling noted that in her view that also reflected how her primary audience (which began with younger kids) were growing up and thus required more complex installments–she more or less said the series evolved and grew with its audience. I could certainly see that as I read the books, and as you say it's quite obvious in the movies.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 22, 2022, 11:36:09 AMI believe Rowling noted that in her view that also reflected how her primary audience (which began with younger kids) were growing up and thus required more complex installments–she more or less said the series evolved and grew with its audience.
That is the sense I got while reading them.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 22, 2022, 01:38:44 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 01:35:10 PM

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 22, 2022, 01:16:26 PM

Channeling your inner SPUI?

Had to be said.  Like when you say to an Episcopalian Jedi "May the Force be with you" and they respond "And also with you."

Why did it have to be said?

[...]
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

In the interest of board harmony, I've edited the initial comment I made, along with subsequent replies.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 22, 2022, 02:40:14 PM
In the interest of board harmony, I've edited the initial comment I made, along with subsequent replies.

In that spirit, I have now edited mine as well.
Male pronouns, please.

Bruce

Transphobes do not deserve respect. Racists do not deserve respect.

Rowling is both.

kphoger

Human beings deserve respect.  Even racist transphobes.  It's boorish to act otherwise.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 02:54:17 PM
Human beings deserve respect.  Even racist transphobes.  It's boorish to act otherwise.

I think the word "respect" is the one that has a lot of nebulous meaning.

I feel everyone acquires it by default, but they can also lose it with reprehensible manners. Especially by fighting pointless and distracting battles.

GaryV

Quote from: formulanone on December 22, 2022, 03:11:55 PM

I feel everyone acquires it by default, but they can also lose it with reprehensible manners. Especially by fighting pointless and distracting battles.

No wonder there's so little respect on the AARoads forum.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on December 22, 2022, 03:14:24 PM

Makes sense.  Every battle on the forum is pointless.   :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

ran4sh

I use the original definition of respect, which is "to consider worthy of high regard" according to Merriam-Webster. This is the "respect must be earned" meaning rather than the "be respectful to everyone" meaning.

But that doesn't mean I agree with others' uses of it either.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

SectorZ

Quote from: Bruce on December 22, 2022, 02:51:06 PM

Rowling is both.

Stating biological women are harmed by letting men compete against them in women's sports is not transphobia. In fact, support of the opposite is considered misogyny to many more people. I don't even know about her alleged racism, but a quick google search found nothing a reasonable person would be considering racist.

Claiming a human doesn't deserve respect because you have a rather extreme view of things is a tad puzzling. Maybe you just hate women or something, I don't know. I still respect you despite those possibilities.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 03:19:51 PM
Quote from: GaryV on December 22, 2022, 03:14:24 PM

Makes sense.  Every battle on the forum is pointless.   :biggrin:

Maybe in the grand scheme of things of universe, but primarily the quibbles, banter, and battles here are Mostly Harmless.

I think approximately zero are out to publicly destroy others' livelihoods and shed blood with their insistent grasp of patent nonsense.

kphoger

Well, there went the thread.

abefroman329:  I really appreciate you trying.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 03:26:27 PM

I blame you for not just deleting all of your posts.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 22, 2022, 04:20:45 PM

Should have known it would end up being my fault.   :awesomeface:
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: Bruce on December 22, 2022, 02:51:06 PM

Rowling is both.

Rowling deserves respect for writing a good series of books that were a massive hit. Not many authors manage to write something that becomes anywhere remotely close to that popular–and, in today's world where kids are often perceived as less interested in reading than they were in the past, that's nothing to sneeze at.

As for the other issues, you're certainly entitled to use whatever criteria you choose in deciding whether to respect someone, but the rest of us are entitled to use whatever criteria we choose, and we don't have to use the same ones you do.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

I straight up do not understand or agree with "human beings deserve respect". Human beings deserve human rights and dignity. They deserve food, water, shelter, a fair trial if they do something illegal, and all the nice things in the Bill of Rights. They do not deserve respect, however, until they do something proving themselves worthy of it.

I don't respect anyone the first time I meet them. I give everyone an opportunity to change that. Sometimes they do. Often, they don't. Sometimes people will gain my respect and then lose it later on.

With free speech, people have the right to say anything they want. They do not have the right to make everyone like or respect them if they use their right to free speech to say something stupid or insulting.

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 22, 2022, 05:46:52 PM
Rowling deserves respect for writing a good series of books that were a massive hit. Not many authors manage to write something that becomes anywhere remotely close to that popular–and, in today's world where kids are often perceived as less interested in reading than they were in the past, that's nothing to sneeze at.

In my internal accounting: That gets her 100 RespectPoints™. Her conduct since then gets her —500 RespectPoints™. That puts her 400 points in the hole. I don't respect her.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 03:26:27 PM

All but 1000?   :poke:

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 04:53:10 PM

Really it's my fault for bringing the franchise up in the first place. But someone else probably would have eventually.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on December 22, 2022, 06:15:40 PM

Really it's my fault for bringing the franchise up in the first place. But someone else probably would have eventually.

Really it's my fault for creating the thread when you think about it.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ran4sh on December 22, 2022, 03:20:23 PM
I use the original definition of respect, which is "to consider worthy of high regard" according to Merriam-Webster. This is the "respect must be earned" meaning rather than the "be respectful to everyone" meaning.

But that doesn't mean I agree with others' uses of it either.

I was curious, and according to the OED, the original meaning of respect was to "look back." Next oldest is the meaning of "aspect."

Curiously, the OED doesn't seem to take a stand on whether respect, with respect (ha ha) to the definitions you give, requires being earned or not:

a. Deferential regard or esteem felt or shown towards a person, thing, or quality.

b. The condition or state of being esteemed, honoured, or highly thought of.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2022, 06:18:41 PM

Really it's my fault for creating the thread when you think about it.

Really it's Alex and Andy's fault for creating the forum in the first place.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

It's a pathetic culture we live in when EVERY. SINGLE. MENTION. of her name online will unavoidably devolve into a discussion about her views on this issue.

So, to get us off this track . . . who here like Bill Cosby's standup routines?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.