News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What do you think are scams?

Started by kirbykart, January 06, 2023, 08:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 06, 2023, 02:41:12 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on January 06, 2023, 02:38:59 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 06, 2023, 12:03:43 PM
Let's see there's....

the gluten free label, especially when they put it on shit that can't possibly have wheat protein in it (Wow, gluten free eggs!)

https://gfdwater.com/

I mean, Tito's made all of its money by advertising that it was gluten free, as if all liquors* weren't gluten free.

*In theory, in things like flavored vodka, the flavoring additive could have gluten, but the vodka itself prior to being manipulated was 100% gluten fee.

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on January 06, 2023, 11:13:02 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 06, 2023, 09:10:51 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 06, 2023, 08:21:47 AM
Cryptocurrency and NFTs in their entirety.

Amen. Technological beanie babies.

I've always thought of 'cryptocurrency' as being the modern day investment equivalent of tulip bulbs a few centuries ago.

Mike
Crypto has its niche, and well supported by goods in that area. Drugs, illegal weapon, slavery, extortion, blackmail etc are a real sector of economy, probably the healthiest industry business wise in US these days.

KeithE4Phx

"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jp the roadgeek

98% of robocalls
The Red Sox signing of Pablo Sandoval
The building of CT 11 and saying "it'll be finished soon" .

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on January 06, 2023, 08:55:32 PM
Chiropractors
Heh.  Some are.  But, I've found that this is a common belief held in Appalachia.  My mother eventually came around. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CoreySamson

Quote from: tigerwings on January 06, 2023, 05:45:04 PM
Organized religion
I kinda figured this would come up sooner or later by someone (although, if we're being honest, most of them are).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 06, 2023, 06:11:18 PM
Capitalism.

Perfect post. Should go in the favorite forum quotes thread.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 09:56:05 PM
Capitalism.

Says the guy with 29k cash on hand who doesn't work.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 10:03:48 PM
Capitalism.

46,000 if you count my college account, which I didn't need much of, but believe me that's nothing with today's inflation. In my opinion, people with less worthy sources of income, like multimillionaire tik tok influencers should be taxed massively, such as 60 or 75%, and use that money to fund higher minimum wage and medical research.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 10:15:26 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 10:03:48 PM
Capitalism.

46,000 if you count my college account, which I didn't need much of, but believe me that's nothing with today's inflation. In my opinion, people with less worthy sources of income, like multimillionaire tik tok influencers should be taxed massively, such as 60 or 75%, and use that money to fund higher minimum wage and medical research.

And this is helping your stance on not liking Capitalism how?

MultiMillionMiler

I do have it a little better than alot of people, but that's doesn't mean Capitalism in general is fair. I have empathy. I give up to $5, occasionally $20 to homeless people on the streets. I recently donated $40+ to a local animal shelter. When I start having income I will give more to other causes as well.

kalvado

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 10:19:37 PM
I do have it a little better than alot of people, but that's doesn't mean Capitalism in general is fair. I have empathy. I give up to $5, occasionally $20 to homeless people on the streets. I recently donated $40+ to a local animal shelter. When I start having income I will give more to other causes as well.
How about...
I know it's a strange concept....
But no, I really mean that....
yes, it is embarrassing....
working 40+ hours a week as most of people on this forum?

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on January 06, 2023, 09:04:23 PM
Chiropractors
Heh.  Some are.  But, I've found that this is a common belief held in Appalachia.  My mother eventually came around. :D

What are the alternatives?

- Surgery that may not be affordable nor covered.

- Addiction to medications; increasing dosage or switching to stronger meds with harsher side effects.

- Dealing with unmanageable pain.

- I dunno...acupuncture?

I don't get all the chiro-hate, it's not as if the alternatives are anything other than suboptimal solutions. The first is ideal if it's covered and effective but the others (including chiropractic help) is just substituting one issue for another.

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on January 07, 2023, 09:37:18 AM
Chiropractors

- Addiction to medications; increasing dosage or switching to stronger meds with harsher side effects.

- I dunno...acupuncture?

I don't get all the chiro-hate, it's not as if the alternatives are anything other than suboptimal solutions.
Well, there were chiropractors when I lived in CA that told my friends that they could cure diabetes, so chiroquackery does exist out there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on January 07, 2023, 09:38:44 AM
Chiropractors

- I dunno...acupuncture?

I don't get all the chiro-hate, it's not as if the alternatives are anything other than suboptimal solutions.v
Well, there were chiropractors when I lived in CA that told my friends that they could cure diabetes, so chiroquackery does exist out there.

That's just evil. I had a relative who wound up in a self-help cult that believed you could permanently transcend illnesses through stubborn willpower. That's well and good if you just stubbed your toe, or stranded alone in a forest, but a bit dangerous for just about any other situation.

The only experience I've heard was for people who had back pain from accidents and they said it made them feel good for a day or two, but usually necessitated scheduled visits for years.

SectorZ

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 06, 2023, 08:45:35 PM
The Red Sox signing of Pablo Sandoval

The whole thing are subsets of it? My favorite out of John Henry (all time, not just regarding the signing) was that "he came in with a body fat ratio of 17 percent", giving us the only time a team owner ever discussed the body fat percentage of a free agent signing and of course vastly underestimating it.

kalvado

Chiropractors

- I dunno...acupuncture?

I don't get all the chiro-hate, it's not as if the alternatives are anything other than suboptimal solutions. The first is ideal if it's covered and effective but the others (including chiropractic help) is just substituting one issue for another.
My personal experience... I have a curse of upright posture - L4-L5-S1.
Doctors offered pain management.
A chiropractor could relax some muscles and basically that made me walk normally 360 days/year.
A trainer in a gym made me gain several pounds of core muscles and allowed to forget about the 2 options above.
Although there is still a chance I may still need a surgery (.....if you live long enough for things to go real bad - I don't know if that is optimistic or pessimistic)

For the record, the gym is the most expensive option as it is not covered by insurance.... And all those are recurring things, no real fix except surgery - and no surgery while patient can walk as risks are non-negligible and not justified.

skluth

CBD. I know this was mentioned already but it deserves its own spotlight.

CoreySamson

Quote from: skluth on January 07, 2023, 11:29:29 AM
Never used it, but I do know a friend who was dealing with some major anxiety and she took CBD which helped with it quite a bit.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kirbykart

Most of the stuff featured in posts on r/scams.

kalvado

Quote from: CoreySamson on January 07, 2023, 12:09:49 PM
Never used it, but I do know a friend who was dealing with some major anxiety and she took CBD which helped with it quite a bit.
the placebo effect is certainly not a scam. Great that it helps, but that's why a lot of medical research is based on double-blind testing.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on January 07, 2023, 12:30:54 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on January 07, 2023, 12:09:49 PM
the placebo effect is certainly not a scam. Great that it helps, but that's why a lot of medical research is based on double-blind testing.
Yeah...have friends that jump from one trendy supplement, claim one helps "so much"...only to have them jump on the next trend for the same symptoms. 

MultiMillionMiler

CBD is legal in NYS, about time. The scam was alcohol and cigars being legal but not a harmless plant.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.