News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

'Highway to Nowhere' heads to the dump [I-170]

Started by MDRoads, September 11, 2010, 04:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDRoads

Possibly the end for the unused western bridge abutments for what was to be I-170:

Gov. Martin O'Malley, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and other officials announced a $2.5 million plan to demolish the hulking dead end that has become known as "The Highway to Nowhere."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-highway-demolition-20100910,0,2648004.story

froggie

For those that attended the Baltimore meet earlier in the year, this was one of the tour stops.

deathtopumpkins

I must make it up to Baltimore before they demolish it...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

Glad I got to see it one final time this past June. Was definitely worth seeing at least once for those like us into roads.

Going to be revamping my pages on dead-I-170/US 40 at some point this fall.

Alps

Those parking lots are gonna need a LOT of security.

kj3400

Well guess it was never to be....think I'll drop by on my way home from school tomorrow to get one final look.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

KillerTux

UPDATE: The blank gantry at the end of I-170 is gone and they are tearing into the concrete. I couldn't take photos because all of I-170/US 40 is closed for construction traffic and the side road was quite busy  :angry: It looks like the BGS with the older US 1 signs will not be harmed just everything past on the stub.

Henry

Yet another sign of failed urban planning. Not to mention that trying to route I-70 through a heavily-wooded area was the worst idea ever put out there!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.