News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBox

As for I-69C, after the Premont bypass, this would leave us with a bypass around George West, another bypass around Three Rivers (whiling not needed, most of the US-281/I-69C traffic comes from San Antonio), and then some upgrades for the following spots (like Alice bypass and the between La Gloria and Falfurrias)
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

Thegeet

Quote from: TheBox on December 23, 2021, 12:39:09 AM
As for I-69C, after the Premont bypass, this would leave us with a bypass around George West, another bypass around Three Rivers (whiling not needed, most of the US-281/I-69C traffic comes from San Antonio), and then some upgrades for the following spots (like Alice bypass and the between La Gloria and Falfurrias)
The Alice bypass will be worked on next year. The contract will be let in June.

Also, Construction on US 59 between US 87 and SH 185 has yet to begin.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Basically, I-69 south of Houston is around 40% complete whereas north of Houston is around 20% done.

If I had to place a bet on which portion will be done first, it will be I-69E, then I-69C then I-69W for the three suffixed routes of I-69 south of Victoria.
Renewed roadgeek

Thegeet

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 23, 2021, 01:49:55 AM
Basically, I-69 south of Houston is around 40% complete whereas north of Houston is around 20% done.

If I had to place a bet on which portion will be done first, it will be I-69E, then I-69C then I-69W for the three suffixed routes of I-69 south of Victoria.
Construction in Fort Bend is done, afaik. Now it's on to Hungerford and El Campo. Hungerford is already doing the frontage roads.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Thegeet on December 23, 2021, 01:59:17 AM

Construction in Fort Bend is done, afaik. Now it's on to Hungerford and El Campo. Hungerford is already doing the frontage roads.

I wonder when I-69 will be extended southwards again from Rosenberg?
Renewed roadgeek

Thegeet

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 23, 2021, 02:05:43 AM
Quote from: Thegeet on December 23, 2021, 01:59:17 AM

I wonder when I-69 will be extended southwards again from Rosenberg?
Probably when the FHWA approves the Interstate designation and concurrence, speculating early next year.

yakra

Quote from: Thegeet on December 22, 2021, 05:52:48 PM
Quote from: yakra on December 22, 2021, 01:29:51 PM
it appears new bridges over Los Olmos Creek at the Kenedy/Kleberg county line aren't required
You're telling me that the Riviera bypass is going to be tolled? I didn't see this coming at all.
That document is dated 4/3/2012; things have likely changed since then. Didn't Texas decide to move away from new toll facilities a while back?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

TheBox

It also helps that Corpus Christi (which has the beaches) and the RGV (which has the South Padre Island) are more tour-worthy than East Texas, even when not by much. Not to mention how RGV is growing

I know this may be a bit off-topic, more intercity bus services (Greyhound/Valley Transit, Tornado/El Expreso, Omnibus Express, Turimex Internacional assuming it's re-opended today, My Bus Line/Zima Real, and more) use I-69 south of Houston much more than they use I-69 north of Houston, and yes even Greyhound.
Plus, whiling a portion of the store/restaurant distribution trucks that serve Corpus Christi and RGV come from San Antonio or DFW, another portion come from Houston (McDonalds, Walgreens, CVS, Little Caesars, 99¢ Only Stores, Costco, Best Buy, and recently Domino's Pizza and Family Dollar/Dollar Tree)
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

TheBox

Once the Driscoll bypass is soon done, this leaves us with Refugio, Odem, and Riviera as far as I-69E (and by extension I-69 south of Houston) goes, and from those remaining bypasses on, overpasses and/or upgrades to areas like FM 1196 @ US-77/I-69E in Sinton, and the Pierce and Woodsboro bypasses

Thegeet

Quote from: yakra on December 23, 2021, 10:20:34 AM
it appears new bridges over Los Olmos Creek at the Kenedy/Kleberg county line aren't required
You're telling me that the Riviera bypass is going to be tolled? I didn't see this coming at all.
That document is dated 4/3/2012; things have likely changed since then. Didn't Texas decide to move away from new toll facilities a while back?
Oops. I forgot. The TTC project for tolls was no good and abandoned.

capt.ron

Quote from: edwaleni on December 22, 2021, 02:39:37 PM
Quote from: capt.ron on December 22, 2021, 02:25:50 PM
TXDOT need to get on the stick and get the section of US 59 upgraded from Texarkana to the existing I-69 piece around the Cleveland, TX area, especially that narrow and rather dangerous section between Teneha and Timpson.

Huh? Tenaha to Timpson is a 4 lane affair today. Are you speaking to the fact it has no median?

And no shoulders either (except for the short sections by the bridges).
Yep, it's a rather dangerous 4 lane "poor boy" and the sooner they get rid of that section, the better... along with bypasses of both Teneha and Timpson.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

I have a few notable things to say in regards of the future I-69 corridor.

Firstly, more US 59 Frontage Roads are complete in Victoria up to the railroad tracks. However, the mainline US 59 bridges are fairly narrow.
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8467005,-96.8987085,3a,75y,304.8h,78.79t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1saXEEERm7DnnypH6KJr4koA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DaXEEERm7DnnypH6KJr4koA%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D297.63773%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=0

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8210738,-96.9219103,3a,15y,59.42h,90.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sZFW7WnVQeBlHe7XkXVFyKQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DZFW7WnVQeBlHe7XkXVFyKQ%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D48.115448%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=0

Secondly, within the next decade, I-69C could be extended up to 4.15 miles north of TX 186, after construction starts in 10 years at most. Plus, another 16.767-mile portion of US 281 in central Brooks County is slated for Interstate designation in another 10+ years, perhaps after construction is done. The same applies to a 3.2 mile portion of US 281 in southern Brooks County. This is a total possible expansion of I-69C signage of at least 24.117 miles within the next decade for the central leg of I-69 south of Victoria.
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/drivenbytexans/pharr.htm

Thirdly, there have been some signage updates south of Robstown with both I-69E/I-69 and US 77 shields to FM 2826.
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7427635,-97.6973184,3a,60y,45.52h,89.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sicLHWdkmeCVsp-a3CQ2oog!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=0
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7372254,-97.7022414,3a,15y,223.23h,87.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2EaCZ-pMIMWiOarcN_XZsA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=0

Lastly, I-69E could be extended down to the Kleburg-Kenedy County line by the end of freeway construction in the late 2020s.
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/drivenbytexans/corpus-christi.htm
Renewed roadgeek

Thegeet

1. The US 59 bridges east of Victoria will be replaced starting in 2023. The NB lane(s) also drops to one at the FM 1686 interchange. This is being fixed right now.
2. Interstate designation projects on US 281 are occurring in 4-5 years according to TxDOT.
3. It looks like the signage replacement process is beginning in Nueces county. Not all signs , oddly enough, have been replaced at once.
4. After the Riviera bypass is open, It May very well be extended downward. But at least the I-69E designation will be extended to the southern end of the Kingsville bypass by 2023.

yakra

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 26, 2021, 05:03:31 PM
https://www.dot.state.tx.us/drivenbytexans/pharr.htm
I-69E construction barely makes it into Kenedy County from Willacy. Looks like just enough to cover the Thomas Ranch Rd interchange at the county line.
No upcoming construction or even corridor studies are shown for the southern half of Kenedy county, so it'd appear that whoever did the OSM editing down there got a bit carried away. :poke:
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Thegeet on December 23, 2021, 12:05:00 PM
Quote from: yakra on December 23, 2021, 10:20:34 AM
Oops. I forgot. The TTC project for tolls was no good and abandoned.

There was, IIRC, some move to build the Driscoll and Riviera bypasses as toll facilities, but that was axed by TxDOT when they nixed the TTC proposal and found public funding.

Thegeet

New imagery surfaced on Google Maps on US 59 in Hungerford (Wharton County) and Fort Bend County. The SB Loop 541 exit is open. There are additionally new BGSs. The Fort Bend stretch before Rosenberg is not designated as I-69. In Hungerford new bridges are being constructed and new frontage roads are being built. I'm not sure if the new bridge at the Wharton/Fort Bend county line will be a frontage road or not.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Thegeet on December 30, 2021, 07:00:24 PM
New imagery surfaced on Google Maps on US 59 in Hungerford (Wharton County) and Fort Bend County. The SB Loop 541 exit is open. There are additionally new BGSs. The Fort Bend stretch before Rosenberg is not designated as I-69. In Hungerford new bridges are being constructed and new frontage roads are being built. I'm not sure if the new bridge at the Wharton/Fort Bend county line will be a frontage road or not.

It looks like the bridge next to the current eastbound road will be the freeway for eastbound. This is since the current roadway turns back to pre-freeway after the westbound frontage road ends in a cul-de-sac.

Additionally for US 59 upgrading I thought of a new freeway coming out of the Bob Bullock Loop and connecting with US 59 outside of Laredo. I am not sure if something like this was previously planned or not. However, one notable positive is that there will be no known displacements of residence or business. One potential downside though is probably bypassing retail traffic.
Renewed roadgeek

Thegeet

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 31, 2021, 12:09:57 AM

It looks like the bridge next to the current eastbound road will be the freeway for eastbound. This is since the current roadway turns back to pre-freeway after the westbound frontage road ends in a cul-de-sac.

Additionally for US 59 upgrading I thought of a new freeway coming out of the Bob Bullock Loop and connecting with US 59 outside of Laredo. I am not sure if something like this was previously planned or not. However, one notable positive is that there will be no known displacements of residence or business. One potential downside though is probably bypassing retail traffic.
Not a bad plan. Yet TxDOT will route I-69W on the current US 59 routing around Laredo, with the sharp turn. One of my pet peeves. I wish TxDOT bought some land for later use to make it more direct.

yakra

New imagery surfaced on Google Maps on US 59 in Hungerford (Wharton County) and Fort Bend County. The SB Loop 541 exit is open.
Link? I don't see this.

Thegeet

Quote from: yakra on December 31, 2021, 11:11:13 AM
New imagery surfaced on Google Maps on US 59 in Hungerford (Wharton County) and Fort Bend County. The SB Loop 541 exit is open.
Link? I don't see this.
https://goo.gl/maps/J7NvtW8WE5stYdqf7

Bobby5280

The updated Street View imagery in Hungerford is available in Google Earth. When Thegeet said the imagery was new he didn't say how new. The imagery is dated from this month, December 2021.

Thegeet

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 31, 2021, 08:35:39 PM
The updated Street View imagery in Hungerford is available in Google Earth. When Thegeet said the imagery was new he didn't say how new. The imagery is dated from this month, December 2021.
Surry. Btw, I am intrigued to see how they handle the lanes, and amy potential slight realignment, as seen on their schematic sheet.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Renewed roadgeek

TheBox

yakra

Quote from: Thegeet on December 31, 2021, 12:58:14 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/J7NvtW8WE5stYdqf7
Aah, thanks. I was just checking regular imagery, not Street View. :pan:

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on January 01, 2022, 04:06:36 AM
New I-69 signage south of Rosenburg
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5298312,-95.8649107,3a,16.2y,284.12h,88.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKSGiPZBNsyiz3sMwU08pVg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0
And as soon as you drive ahead a few yards to the ramp gore, it's plain US59. LOL what a tease.
Meanwhile heading the other direction, there's a new I-69 sign that wasn't there in May. In one sense, not as big a deal in that it's already north of the previously accepted end @ Spur 529, but at least it's something? But this sign's new, darnit! :D
With no access to the mainlanes between here & Spur 529, one could argue that with I-69 already in progress, it begins at least at the last access point to the mainlanes behind the camera car. ...Whever one deems that to be.

Also, Exit 94 is signed & numbered in both directions. South of here, where work is more clearly ongoing, no exit numbers.
Does this mean something? "This is Exit 94 from the thing that has an Exit 94"? You be the judge.

*deep breath*
I think I'll extend I-69 a tiny bit in TravelMapping...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.