News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Field Guide to American Traffic Signs

Started by Andrew T., October 31, 2010, 10:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew T.

Since there seem to be few online resources focusing on the history and chronology of road sign designs, I decided to create one:

http://www.andrew-turnbull.net/signs.html

The source of reference for this was 80 years of MUTCDs and predecessor documents.  All of the graphics were created from scratch; with help from the Roadgeek symbol fonts and a bit of extra tracing.  Since this is ostensibly a first draft, there are bound to be a few omissions, errors, and uncertainties:  I'm unsure of the introduction year of the symbol signs for W11-7 through 10, for example.

After spending ten days preparing the site, I'll probably take a break before expanding it some more; but that doesn't mean that updates won't be on the horizon:  Digesting the 2009 MUTCD and adding route markers are on the "to do" list!
Think Metric!

Dr Frankenstein

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Brian556

Very nice. One issue I noticed is that the diamond shaped double arrow sign (T-junction marker) was grouped with the safety zone signs instead of the rectangular double arrow. I think these should be grouped together since they have the smae meaning.

Andrew T.

Thank you, everyone!

Quote from: Brian556 on October 31, 2010, 02:46:52 PM
Very nice. One issue I noticed is that the diamond shaped double arrow sign (T-junction marker) was grouped with the safety zone signs instead of the rectangular double arrow. I think these should be grouped together since they have the smae meaning.
Actually, the 1948 MUTCD lists the double-arrow diamond sign for use with "loading and refuge islands;" in a separate section from the rectangular double arrow.
Think Metric!

agentsteel53

very nice!  let me know if you need help with the route markers, as that is my area of expertise :)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

This is quite a good start.

I look forward to the D-series signs . . .
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

ctsignguy

An impressive start....

once you really get up and moving, you need photographs of the various signs (Jake and i once discussed something like this where we can put all the various STOP signs for instance, but this can go far beyond that!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Brian556

I have some of the old style signs you have on this page in my collection. I'd be willing to send you pictures of them if you should decide to go thru with this.

I could also see adding a link below each sign to a picture of the sign "in the wild" if possible. If no such photo can be located, a photo of one on somebody's wall would suffice.

Andrew T.

Thanks again.

Quote from: Brian556 on November 01, 2010, 09:54:20 PM
I have some of the old style signs you have on this page in my collection. I'd be willing to send you pictures of them if you should decide to go thru with this.

I could also see adding a link below each sign to a picture of the sign "in the wild" if possible. If no such photo can be located, a photo of one on somebody's wall would suffice.

I hadn't even thought of this earlier, but that's an excellent idea!
Think Metric!

Roadsign199qc

Hi!

ctsignguy

A couple of signs that should be here

Early Sign at stoplights ( I KNOW there are earlier ones...just havent seen them)

FWHA design

Hope this helps
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Andrew T.

Hi signguy,

Quote from: ctsignguy on November 25, 2010, 09:02:30 AM
A couple of signs that should be here

Early Sign at stoplights ( I KNOW there are earlier ones...just havent seen them)[/img]

I've had a hard time putting a date on that design.  Though some states were surely using it for decades before then, the earliest MUTCD I've seen "officially" referencing it is from 2003!

I think I'll pass on the warning sign, since it's "just" a cross between the curve and side road types.  Many uncommon variations of these exist, and I haven't bothered listing them all.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, though!
Think Metric!

Andrew T.

While on the topic of additions, I'd just like to mention that I finished revising the site.  Route markers are new, along with signs from the 2009 MUTCD and a couple photos.  (I'm not sure yet what the best format for including those would be.)
Think Metric!

Brian556

One method for including photos would be a link under the sign image.Another option would be to give each sign type its own row, going from oldest to newest style, with photos below the image.

Brian556

Concerning the SLIPPERY WHEN WET sign...
I noticed you have the "2003" version that has been slightly changed. I noticed a few of these on the road and thought they looked a little funny. I thought it was just a fluke, I didn't realize the specs had changed.

rmsandw

Anyone have the sign for crosswalks that warn peds. that the walk time may be shortened by coming train?  Counld use one for my model layout.
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

Brian556

Andrew,
Would you consider adding the following signs/items so that we can see when the standard changed:
Small Guide Signs (non-frwy).......b/w to w/g
EXIT gore signs.........................b/w to w/g
object markers..........................b/w to b/y
railroad crossing gates................b/w to r/w
barricades(construction).............b/w to o/w
barricades (dead end).................b/w to r/w

Your site is great resource of information and has helped me increase my knowledge signifigantly as to when standards changed.

hm insulators

Neat! :clap: There's some signs I've never seen in the field such as the "Pavement Ends" picture sign and the "No Hitchhiking" picture sign.

Also, I remember when I was a child, the speed limit signs (at least in California) were white on black. Also, before picture signs, the pedestrian crossing signs that I remember read, "PED XING" instead of "PEDESTRIAN CROSSING." Another California-only phenomenon?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.