News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Adventures in Utah signage

Started by CL, January 22, 2011, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

Quote from: Zeffy on June 17, 2015, 05:53:21 PM
Damn, Utah looks pretty. Hopefully I can get out there one day - looks like a great place to visit for those who love natural features!

Thanks you! You should come and see it in person. :D It's hard not to take it for granted sometimes.

As promised but later than planned, here are some more photos from Utah County:

Even though US-89 isn't signed in shield form along UT-85, the street signs mention it here on the NB off- and on-ramps from I-15 in Lehi.

At the UT-68/73 junction in Saratoga Springs

Hmmm...something's missing.

I could've sworn that this shield said "West UT-73" when I came through the area last year

Also TO UT-73 here (should be TO UT-145 here, too).

And, figuring that it's not too far out to wherever UT-73 is, I followed and found this...

...and this...

and this.

Looks familiar, doesn't it?

Well, it seems that with the completion of the Pioneer Crossing extension (from Redwood/68 to 73), Crossroads Blvd (which begins to the left) was realigned and the portion from the newly realigned road to Redwood was relinquished back to Saratoga Springs, leaving the east end of the west/main segment of SR-73 ending at the same point as the west end of SR-145.

I did email UDOT about this and got a response saying that SR-73 and SR-145 was to stay the same, segmented and all. I haven't yet checked the east stub between I-15 and US-89. At least that's what the signing says here, even though nothing has been changed legislatively (yet). Maybe make the east segment something like SR-242/Business Spur 15.

Here's a couple more assemblies from the area at all nearby intersections.

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Rover_0

Here's some more signage from St. George, I-215, and Draper:

While it's likely that the last photo is just a UDOT/contractor error, I can't help but wonder if there have been (or are) plans to make Dixie Dr. a state route, possibly an extension of UT-8, considering UT-8 ends on Sunset Blvd. where it meets Dixie Dr. and that Dixie Dr. has become a fairly major road in the St. George area.

This is where I-215 bends to the north after meeting Redwood Rd.

Another fairly new state route, UT-175 (11400 S) at its intersection with Redwood Rd.

Another look at southbound UT-68, not long after crossing UT-71 (12600 S)

And some scenes from Bluffdale, the intersection between UT-68 and UT-140 (~14600 S):

Looking east across Redwood. UT-140 begins straight ahead.

Southbound UT-68 after meeting UT-140 with a "Bike Lane" sign underneath. Redwood from here to Saratoga Springs gets up to 55 MPH and meets UT-85 (Mountain View Corridor) along the way running "concurrent" with it. I wonder if this stretch of Redwood finds itself as part of USBR-50 at some point in the future.

UT-140 ends here. From discussions with UDOT, UT-140 may soon find itself on the chopping block, with an extension of Porter Rockwell Blvd. (UT-85 between Redwood to the main MVC roadway) eventually connnecting with I-15 or possibly UT-92 at some point in the future. Given that I've driven 140 and it is very narrow (even having a one-lane railroad underpass), this wouldn't surprise me.

As for the shields, this simplistic style is growing on me. I still prefer the outlined version (with reasonably-sized Series D numerals for 2-digit and 3-digit with a 1 somewhere in there number), but this would be the next best thing.

Rover_0

Some more scenes from UT-68 and the UT-85 junctions:

From the Porter Rockwell connector between the main expressway and UT-68

At the south end of the expressway

Since the Lehi 2100 N and main roads currently don't connect, UT-85 piggybacks on UT-68 for about 3 1/4-3 1/2 miles, with this and a similar northbound assembly. However, this is the only assembly showing both routes; the rest only sign UT-68.

Rover_0

And here are a few more photos from Saratoga Springs, from the former UT-68/73 junction before UT-73's cutting back.

Here's where UT-85 splits off from UT-68 and heads over to i-15 on Lehi's 2100 North

And the May 2014 UT-73 and UT-68 shields at Saratoga Springs and previous west end of UT-145 at UT-68:

Rover_0

More photos from the Great Photo Dump of 2015, this time from Salina, Gunnison, and Nephi:

From Nephi:

This is an initial southbound UT-28/BL-15 (as of last year) assembly from north of Nephi

And a UT-132 shield posted in 2012

From Gunnison:

The arrow/shield assembly is upside-down here

And finally, from Salina, where the erroneous Business "Loop" 70 shields have been replaced by the proper Business Spur 70 shields:

Southbound

Northbound

roadman65

I must admit I do happen to like the stand alone UT state route shields.  They seem so cool with the beehive on the black backround.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Kniwt

While most of the newer APL signs in St. George are OK, there's another one that's confusing at best and wrong at worst: (Street View image)

Exit 5 is right here, but with no exit-only lane. Exit 6 (actually, the new C/D ramp to Exit 6) is just ahead, with an exit-only lane and an option lane. But if the exit-only lane to Exit 6 were correctly curved on the sign, that would be confused with Exit 5.

Rover_0

Quote from: Kniwt on June 24, 2015, 11:15:25 PM
While most of the newer APL signs in St. George are OK, there's another one that's confusing at best and wrong at worst: (Street View image)

Exit 5 is right here, but with no exit-only lane. Exit 6 (actually, the new C/D ramp to Exit 6) is just ahead, with an exit-only lane and an option lane. But if the exit-only lane to Exit 6 were correctly curved on the sign, that would be confused with Exit 5.

Whoops, never noticed that. I might have to point this out to UDOT.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: Rover_0 on June 25, 2015, 09:14:51 AM
Quote from: Kniwt on June 24, 2015, 11:15:25 PM

Whoops, never noticed that. I might have to point this out to UDOT.

That's actually really funny. I've never noticed that when driving past there. Maybe it was because of that killer Mongolian BBQ...

Quote from: roadman65 on June 24, 2015, 11:58:40 AM
I must admit I do happen to like the stand alone UT state route shields.  They seem so cool with the beehive on the black backround.

I just like the new shields with smaller numerals and black outlining. Those are dope.

Rover_0

Here's some more photos, this time from the UT-141/147 Junction near Payson and UT-198/115 in Payson:

Not sure why they UDOT hasn't renumbered one of these to make a single continuous route, but if they're letting UT-73 (well, the main segment) and UT-145 terminate at the same point, then I guess this is staying.

UT-198 Junction Advance Signage and Street Blade in Payson, on Utah Ave.

And finally, the UT-198/115 Junction in Payson:

andy3175

Rover, is there any chance UDOT can restore Business Loop 15 on the northbound signs for the Utah 18 exit? For whatever reason, the business loop is now omitted and only seen once on Utah 18.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Rover_0

Quote from: andy3175 on August 04, 2015, 01:27:42 AM
Rover, is there any chance UDOT can restore Business Loop 15 on the northbound signs for the Utah 18 exit? For whatever reason, the business loop is now omitted and only seen once on Utah 18.

I'll see what I can do--I've noticed that when I've gone to St. George as well. BL-15 is signed pretty well on WB UT-34's east end but is pretty much non-existent anywhere else, aside from the 2 shields (one on NB 18 and the other when it turns onto EB 34).

andy3175

The missing business loop shield on I-15 north in St George, along with the disappearance of US 50 (somewhere between Salina and Green River) and US 189 (between US 40 and the Wyoming state line) when they align with the Interstates, remain among the mysteries of Utah signage.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Rover_0

It's true, unfortunately. I've sent a few messages to UDOT and haven't got a clear answer.

I have a few new pictures, mostly from a trip to southern Utah:

Advance signage for UT-17 on I-15 at Toquerville

1 Mile

1/2 Mile

Exit Signage

Signage in Beaver

Holden Signage:

All the UT-64 shields are about all the shields in the field.

And finally for now, some signage from the UT-68/UT-154 (Redwood Rd/Bangerter Hwy) interchange:

It's interesting to see UT-154 marked as North-South, given that it runs East-West (and is signed as such) here.

national highway 1

Quote from: Rover_0 on November 21, 2015, 05:00:07 PM
It's true, unfortunately. I've sent a few messages to UDOT and haven't got a clear answer.

I have a few new pictures, mostly from a trip to southern Utah:

Advance signage for UT-17 on I-15 at Toquerville

Exit Signage

That sloppy arrow placement resembles a practice usually found in Texas.  :no:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

authenticroadgeek

There used to be a sign approaching UT-265 from NB US-89 where instead of the state route symbol, it shows a US route symbol. However, they fixed it which makes me very sad because I loved that sign. :spin:

paulthemapguy

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.  We need more threads like this for sign photos!!

I'm always split on the debate of "regulate a constant sizing for numbering on route shields" vs. "make the numbering on route shields as big as possible!"  To reconcile these two sides of the debate, I think the solution is to standardize the larger numbering I guess :hmm:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

andy3175

Just for fun, here are some photos of Utah signage from my trip on I-80 and I-15 last summer...

I-80 west at I-84, with new guide sign:

I-80 west at Utah 280 in Coalville, which used to be a business spur that appeared to be unsigned from the freeway mainline:

Button copy sign on I-80 west at I-215 and Utah 186:

I-215 Utah shield:

Collector Distributor lanes on transition from I-215 west to I-15 south:

I-15 south is really wide as it approaches Exit 295, Junction Utah 209 (9000 South):

I-15 south at Exit 291, Junction Utah 71 (12300 South):

I-15 south approaching Exit 282, Junction U.S. 89 north and Utah 85 (Mountain View Corridor) west near Thanksgiving Point:

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

mrsman

Can anyone explain why the toll was suspended on the third to last picture above?

If it was temporary, simply having "Free" on the VMS would be enough without the need for the orange stripe.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: andy3175 on March 26, 2016, 09:26:14 PM

WOW can't believe those are still there.  Anymore left in the entire state?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

andy3175

Quote from: mrsman on March 28, 2016, 07:04:29 PM
Can anyone explain why the toll was suspended on the third to last picture above?

If it was temporary, simply having "Free" on the VMS would be enough without the need for the orange stripe.

I believe this  had to do with ongoing construction in the vicinity of this sign. With lane reductions and lane changes, I think they offered the HOV lane without a toll for the duration of the construction period.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 28, 2016, 10:52:04 PM
Quote from: andy3175 on March 26, 2016, 09:26:14 PM

WOW can't believe those are still there.  Anymore left in the entire state?

There might be, but this is definitely one of the few remaining, especially on an Interstate mainline. With the quick descent from Parley's Summit through Parley's Canyon to the I-215 interchange, I've been surprised this sign assembly has lasted as long as it has. It seems to me that with the speed of traffic on I-80 west leading into Salt Lake City that efforts should have been made some time ago to improve signage and visibility of exit ramps on the approach to I-215. Having said that, I enjoy seeing that this relic sign has survived at least into 2015.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Rover_0

And I'm back!! I have some photos from Utah County, with the newly-signed-but-yet-to-be-officially-christened SR-176, AKA the Vineyard Connector (it has its own thread here), planned to connect 800 N (UT-52) in Orem with 700 S in Lehi (roughly at Pleasant Grove Parkway at I-15, near the newer SR-129--I presume):

With SR-129 and now SR-176, it UDOT may be signing the beginning of routes now:

We're facing west, but UT-176 is meant to be North-South, as it will swing to the north (right) after about a mile (more on that in a minute):

And crossing over the FrontRunner/canal overpass in the above picture, we arrive at the (current) end of SR-176, but you can see the road base swinging to the north (right):

Turning back the other way, we see the first of the southbound SR-176 shield:

And find the advance junction signage for SR-52 and SR-114:

With the End SR-176 and UT-52/114 Junction assembly ahead:

I'm still not sure exactly why UT-52 isn't extended over this route, as even if its mileposts are reset, it is, after all, only about 4.5 miles long.

Anyways, since I was already in the area I figured I'd check out the south end of US-189, as the Provo Westside Connector (AKA PWC) is planned to connect the Provo Airport with I-15 and US-189 (AKA University Ave in Provo) at the same interchange (Exit 263). I assume that this will become a state route (and I'm placing my bets that it becomes SR-177, what with the proximity to SR-176 and SR-77 and that the number is available). However, I made an interesting discovery here, too. But first, the first northbound US-189 shield:

And the END (southbound) US-189 shield:

But now, for the interesting part. Coming off I-15's southbound off-ramp, I found what looks to be a future shield assembly:

And if that's not enough, there's a second small BGS-style sign heavily confirming a a second state route:

I would assume that the PWC may simply be routed over this interchange and over 1860 South to US-89--a mile or two east of here--but the placement of the shields may suggest something else entirely. Unless it's a simple installation misplacement, the "North US-189 turn left" signs should be on the left with "East SR-x stay straight" on the right.

Now, the BGS-style sign does have US-189 on the left, suggesting that this first hypothesis is correct, but if so, why does it look like "University Ave" covers the entire bottom of the sign if this second route is listed as straight ahead? Granted, it's not beyond UDOT (and/or their contractors) to make such an error, or there's something else on the sign I'm not sure about, or I'm just looking waaaay too much into this, but it is something to wonder about (and will be revealed rather shortly).

hbelkins

That junction assembly for 114 and 52 needs to go in the "worst of" thread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2016, 03:24:09 PM
That junction assembly for 114 and 52 needs to go in the "worst of" thread.

Why?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.