News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Adventures in Utah signage

Started by CL, January 22, 2011, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: Rover_0 on February 25, 2014, 09:01:21 PM

Clearview has infiltrated Utah outside of the Legacy Parkway!! I repeat, Clearview has infiltrated Utah outside of the Legacy Parkway!! Fortunately, this is the only instance I know of, and it may just be a contractor error, as the awful kerning of the second photo may imply.

This isn't Clearview--it is mixed-case FHWA Series D.  It should not be used on a high-speed, high-capacity road as a substitute for Series E Modified, but that is another issue.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rover_0

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 25, 2014, 09:30:45 PM
Quote from: Rover_0 on February 25, 2014, 09:01:21 PM

Clearview has infiltrated Utah outside of the Legacy Parkway!! I repeat, Clearview has infiltrated Utah outside of the Legacy Parkway!! Fortunately, this is the only instance I know of, and it may just be a contractor error, as the awful kerning of the second photo may imply.

This isn't Clearview--it is mixed-case FHWA Series D.  It should not be used on a high-speed, high-capacity road as a substitute for Series E Modified, but that is another issue.

Well, shoot. The "Meadow" sure looks a lot like Clearview. That's a relief.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Rover_0

There and back again...I finish with some photos up to Logan and back down to Holden...

Older US-50 BGS off of I-15 at Holden:

I-15 NB Updated Exit Advance Signage for UT-54:

I-15 NB Updated US-6 Advance Signage:

UT-178/Payson 800 S. Updated BGS Signage:

Also, a new center exit distance sign (or whatever the official term is)

Updated US-6 Shields alongside I-15:

The US-6 shield is actually bigger than I-15's! (Although I-15's is older)

From the (now-completed) UT-252:
At 2500 N and 1000 W:

All but the last one have way too narrow numerals. Yay for Series B!

More Series B, this time on a threehive and for a 2-digit route (UT-30):

US-89 and US-91 Shields on Separate Poles at UT-23:

Updated UT-90 BGS on US-89/91 at Brigham City:

Note no exit number, here or at the split.

State-named, Series C I-15 Shield at 700 E. and 10600 S. in Sandy:

UT-180 BGS at 500 E. in Pleasant Grove:

UT-180 and Pleasant Grove Blvd. BGS's:

I wonder if there were, or are, plans for Pleasant Grove Blvd. to be part of the state highway system. Else, why all that green space?

UT-132 in East Nephi

Thought that this was a nice shot, and a nice shield.

US-50 Westbound after leaving I-15 in Holden:

Again, a nice characteristic picture for US-50.

US-50 Traffic Use I-15 NB:

I didn't think this sign was here. IMO these need to be before just about any I/Non-I route concurrency.

US-50/UT-64 (TO I-15) Junction:

US-50/TO I-70

Didn't think that I-70 was signed out this far.

Holden gantry:

I-70 receives a second mention in Holden. Also, the sign should say: "TO North I-15" and "TO South I-15."

South UT-64, TO I-15 after US-50 Junction:

Only 2 UT-64 shields that I know of. This is the only one with a directional placard (the shield on the other end lies atop a "TO US-50" shield.

And that's it for now. I plan on snapping the new UT-34/I-15 junction assemblies, as well as UT-7 along its first couple of sections. Thoughts?

xcellntbuy

andy3175

Hi Rover,

It you are taking requests, then how about the business loop I-15 and I-84 in Brigham City, which is not signed from the mainline but is signed along the loop itself? I also wonder how US 6 is signed as it approaches I-15 at both connection points. Is it similar to how US 50 is signed at Scipio?

Thanks for the great pictures,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Rover_0

Quote from: andy3175 on March 10, 2014, 01:05:52 AM
Hi Rover,

It you are taking requests, then how about the business loop I-15 and I-84 in Brigham City, which is not signed from the mainline but is signed along the loop itself? I also wonder how US 6 is signed as it approaches I-15 at both connection points. Is it similar to how US 50 is signed at Scipio?

Thanks for the great pictures,
Andy

I'll see what I can do. Usually I take pictures I find worth showing, provided it's not too far out of my way in order to do so. You know, gas prices being what they are and such.

That said, I'm thinking about at least making the 30-mile round trip down US-6 from I-15 to the US-6/89 split to catch the erroneous "UT-6" shield and going up UT-14/Mammoth Creek Rd.*/UT-143 to US-89 at Panguitch to snag a pic of "US-143." Maybe I'll just follow US-89 all the way through Manti in order to do so, next time I head north.

*Which IMO should be a state route. Maybe UT-214?

andy3175

Sounds good. Thanks in advance for checking out some of the smaller state highways along and adjacent to the I-15 corridor.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Rover_0

All right, it's been a while, but I have some pictures from Washington County:

UT-9 Reassurance Shield after UT-59 Junction:

UT-18/BL-15 Shields off of Bluff St. in St. George:

And now UT-7 (AKA Southern Parkway) shields:

The font on the "East" certainly looks different. Can anyone pinpoint it for me? Modified FHWA or even Clearview?

Here are the "TO I-15" Shields on WB UT-7. Unusual how TO I-15 is to the left of the UT-7 shield.

Getting off on River Rd., the River Rd. exit (Exit 3) is right on the Utah/Arizona stateline, and after noticing a sign that looks like it could contain a UT-7 shield just outside of Utah (on the far left):

I figured I'd take a look:

Nuts. Just another "TO I-15" sign. :/ IMO I'd be tempted to just call UT-7 Future I-x15 (and make Exit 2 a freeway-to-freeway interchange).

Here are a couple of the "Parkway Entrance" signs:
EB

WB

A shot of the River Rd. overpass with interchange assembly:

Again, it might make some sense to have numbered this route UT-x15 (Future I-x15) if every westbound reassurance assembly contains a "TO I-15" shield and is takes precedence over UT-7. Just my opinion, though.

EB UT-7 Directional sign:

WB UT-7, "TO I-15" Directional sign:

At least UT-7 takes precedence over TO I-15 here. Also notice the raised shields/lettering from the sunlight.

EB UT-7 Shield:

River Road Approach Assembly for UT-7:

UT-7 Advance Junction Shield:

UT-7 Shield from Washington Dam Road:

Note the "09" creation decal. This implies that a few of these UT-7 shields have been hanging around, unused, in contractor shops for a few years now and might explain some discrepancy between shields in this part of the state.

UT-9/59 Junction Assembly:

From EB UT-9:

From WB UT-9:

Likely a "Poor Sign Placement" candidate, what with the trees and all.

Rover_0

Highlights of this batch are the St. George DDI and accompanying signs/shields, misdirected BL-15 and UT-8, and a Business Route where one shouldn't be, 10 miles from I-15. I wish I could comment on all these St. George/Hurricane area photos, but I'll leave these as is:

Kids, don't put off posting photos all at once. More to come, including from the greater Salt Lake area (where I'm at now).

andy3175

Great pics! I see that the one referencing Utah 9 to Business 15 in Hurricane (at the western end of Utah 59) is wrong; it should instead show Interstate 15.

I also like the state name added to the I-15 shields on the Utah 34 overhead in St George. I will have to swing by there later this month to take a look myself. I did find a handful of I-15 Utah shields (mostly north of Cedar City, and I didn't drive past the I-70 interchange) while passing through earlier this month (maybe 4 total on northbound?). I think there are more state named shields further north.

Is Business Loop 15 still signed in St George? The northern Utah 34 interchange still has the shield, while the new signs at the Utah 18 interchange do not.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

KEVIN_224

Is that a big "D" on the side of the hill (mountain?) in that last picture?

mrsman

What I found interesting is how they put the pedestrian path in the middle of the diverging diamond interchange.  Is this a standard treatment?

adventurernumber1

Quote from: mrsman on August 14, 2014, 07:43:06 PM
What I found interesting is how they put the pedestrian path in the middle of the diverging diamond interchange.  Is this a standard treatment?

That is a little odd. I don't think I have ever seen that before, but it isn't too abnormal. But anyways, these are all great pics!
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Rover_0

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 14, 2014, 12:46:33 AM
Is that a big "D" on the side of the hill (mountain?) in that last picture?

Yes. It stands for "Dixie," as in "Utah's Dixie," where early settlers attempted to grow cotton. (A very nutshell description of area history, I know).

Anyways, after a long time without any new photos, I've brought this thread back from the dead by uploading some photos from the greater Salt Lake Area, including signage along the UT-68/48 concurrency and along Redwood Rd in southern Salt Lake County:

UT-266 in Taylorsville, near I-215

UT-68/171 Junction

UT-68/209 Junction
Looking North on Redwood (68)

Looking South on Redwood

Note the sharp edges on the UT-209 shield.

UT-68/48 Concurrency

Looking East on 7800 S

Looking West

Looking North on Redwood

UT-68 Only signed after UT-48 Merges

Looking N on Redwood at 7000 S

Looking W on 7000 S

Looking S on Redwood at 7000 S

And after UT-48 merges going south on Redwood from 7000 S...

I've said it before and I've said it again, but if UDOT intends to route its state routes over concurrencies, either sign them (or at the very least reference them with "TO SR-xx" shields), or if not, make the different segments completely different routes (like splitting 48 into 48 and, say, 47).

There will be more to come that I haven't gotten around to uploading soon.

texaskdog

I love Texas but wondering if we could afford to retire in Utah.  They don't get a lot of snow and can you imagine being able to go to those National Parks (Arches, Bryce, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, Escalante Staircase) whenever you wanted to?

BigManFromAFRICA88

Hey rover, i'm assuming you've driven the new construction stretch of I-15 through Davis County...what do you think about the APLs? Especially the ones at Parrish Lane, 2600 South, and (I think) 400 North?

Rover_0

Quote from: BigManFromAFRICA88 on May 30, 2015, 10:09:07 PM
Hey rover, i'm assuming you've driven the new construction stretch of I-15 through Davis County...what do you think about the APLs? Especially the ones at Parrish Lane, 2600 South, and (I think) 400 North?

I haven't yet, but I should find out soon this summer.

I have quite a few photos to upload, and I'll start with some from last summer. Here's some from the I-215/UT-266 junction in Milcreek/Holliday:

Missing the signs for the trees (though the wooden poles suggest they are older...

Rover_0

And some more for UT-209, UT-210, and UT-190 (with another I-215 shield):

At the east end of UT-209 at UT-210

The erroneous "US-190" shield remains these many years later, though change may be coming:

And the west end of UT-210:

Rover_0

And a few sets from my travels outside the Wasatch Front last summer:

New signage along UT-78 on I-15 SB outside of Holden (Apologies for poor quality):

Monsoonal weather in Kanab (note the US-89/89A Shields in the background):

Some scenes from Cedar Mountain:

Not only does US-143 exist, it's in Utah of all places!  :spin:

According to UDOT, it should be fixed by now.

And finally, for some state-named Interstate love, near Holden (after the south end of UT-64):

More coming from me later tonight. More interesting developments in Saratoga Springs...

roadman65

Really cool photos and nice signs.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CL

A lot has happened.

SR-201 (for the uninitiated, a freeway/expressway in suburban Salt Lake) was reconstructed between 91st West and 72nd West. UDOT still alternates between two shield styles, but this one is becoming preferred. (I mean, maybe. UDOT abhors sticking to one shield style.)

First exit following the transition from expressway to freeway. This style of tab has become the standard in the state.

The first photo was taken in July 2011, about five years after those signs were installed. The second photo is from December 2011, after the road was widened through this stretch and a new gantry was required. Then, as you see in the third photo, UDOT saw fit to replace signs that weren't even four years old. Nothing about this interchange changed this time around. Talk about overkill.

Another sign that was just recently replaced. Another thing I don't get is UDOT's choice to install diagrammatic signs at some locations and not at others, like above. Oh, of course, check out the two exit only arrows when there should only be one.

SR-201 at 900 West. The top photo features signs from 2001, and the bottom features brand new signs. Another misapplication of exit only arrows on the right sign... On the left, the vertical spacing of the shields and text seems off. And the shields look slightly too small.

Someone forgot an I-80 shield. Oops.

Two left exits within a short span of each other–this is on the I-15/I-80 collector/distributor. The sign for 1300 South looks a bit off with the stacked left tab on top of the exit tab, huh?

And I'll just let this speak for itself. A lot has changed in signage standards since 2001.
Infrastructure. The city.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Great pics man. Maybe on the 215 pics above 62nd South you could instead drive north (in the leftmost lane) and get a great pic of the valley and the skyline. It's my favorite part of my morning drive to school :D.
I didn't realize that they put some more APLs on that 15/80 collector to 9th South...guess I should do more hunts for new signage since it's summer...

Rover_0

Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2015, 07:36:12 PM
Really cool photos and nice signs.

Thank you!

Quote from: CL on June 15, 2015, 10:54:25 AM
(Snipped Pictures)
A lot has changed in signage standards since 2001.

I sound dumb saying this, but for the better or the worse? Or better in some places (BGS's) and worse in others (inconsistent beehives)?

Anyways, it's been a couple days later than usual, I do have some pictures from Utah's newest state route, SR-129 from Pleasant Grove to Highland, and more from the Incredible Shrinking State Route, UT-73. But first, some pictures from around where I've been living in Sandy:

Looking north on 700 E (SR-71) in Sandy at the junction of 9000 S (SR-209) and 700 E (SR-71):

Note the E Series numerals.

Here's a UT-173 Shield in Taylorsville at the junction of UT-68 (Redwood Rd) and UT-173 that I like:

And an erroneous "UT-89" Shield at the junction of US-89 (State St) and UT-175 (11400 S), looking west at the beginning of 175:

Rover_0

It's been a little longer than I had hoped, but here are some photos from SR-129, the newest state route (following 700 N in Pleasant Grove to North County Blvd, ending at SR-92). The beehive shields are uniform for the entire route, so no font or beehive deviation FWIW.

From the north end at SR-92:

While Utah usually marks the ends of their routes, it's unusual to mark the beginning of a route.

And from the south end, at US-89 on the border of Pleasant Grove and Lindon:

There's the other BEGIN assembly, complete with Milepost 0.

And from a little inbetween:

At the SR-129/114 junction (700 N and Geneva Rd), looking west (UT-129 NB)

Looking east (SB 129) after Pleasant Grove Blvd

And at the junction of Pleasant Grove Blvd.; PGB is a short connection to I-15.

Zeffy

Damn, Utah looks pretty. Hopefully I can get out there one day - looks like a great place to visit for those who love natural features!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.