News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-68 Extension?

Started by Buummu, April 30, 2011, 10:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buummu

I heard that WVDOT plans to extend I-68 westward towards I-70 some point in the future? So, any updates on it?

hbelkins

Quote from: Buummu on April 30, 2011, 10:42:35 PM
I heard that WVDOT plans to extend I-68 westward towards I-70 some point in the future? So, any updates on it?

If they can't afford to complete US 35, which actually does have some traffic on it and would be used, how can they afford to build this road, which would probably so lightly-traveled that one could lie down and go to sleep in the middle of it?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Heard from where, exactly? I've never heard this.

NE2

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-068.html mentions it, but it hasn't gotten anywhere (the NHS addition was simply US 250).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SP Cook

HB is right.  West of Morgantown or Fairmont, US 250 or WV 7 pass through very rugged and almost totally unpopulated land.  Such a road would be a total boondoggle, no traffic and passing through land that simply is never going to be developable.  All to cut maybe 10 miles off a trip between Morgantown and Wheeling, off the existing I-79 and I-70.  In fact if they followed US 250 rather than WV 7, it would be shorter to take the current route than this deal.

Revive 755

I remember seeing a sign along the lines of 'build it now/I-68 Morgantown to Moundsville' on the Moundsville riverfront back in late summer of 2000.

Looking at a national freight traffic map, if I-68 was extended westward to I-70 near Wheeling as a free route I could see it drawing some traffic from the PA Turnpike.

EDIT: Forgot to add the source map:
http://www.inrix.com/scorecard/freight.asp

Buummu

I dont remember where I saw that info.. I think I saw it on interstate-guide as well..

hbelkins

I've heard of this proposal before, but can't remember where.

Two of the more torturous drives I have ever taken in West Virginia were US 250 from Fairmont to Moundsville, and WV 7 from Morgantown to whatever town it ends at along the Ohio River (New Martinsville?). Very little traffic on either road.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Interestingly the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was forced to build along the US 250 alignment because Pennsylvania wouldn't let them build through the state (they wanted ocean-bound goods to go via Philadelphia). Later (ca. 1870s) the B&O completed a new main line through Connellsville and Pittsburgh and this original route became a secondary line. Because of its steep grades, it has been partially abandoned and no longer carries any through traffic, while the route through Pittsburgh (modified to use a piece of the P&LE along the Ohio) is still one of CSX's principal freight routes (the "National Gateway"). Here's a 1943 map of the B&O paralleling US 250: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/250k/txu-pclmaps-topo-us-clarksburg-1943.jpg

Tieing this back to roads, it's likely that grades on an I-68 extension would be significantly worse than the all-I-70 route, meaning that few truckers would switch.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Henry

Just saw it on the Interstate-Guide website as well. If they really were serious about extending I-68 further west, the least they could've done was look at other potential termini: Cincinnati, Columbus and Dayton come to mind. Then it could truly lead to "Ohio and Points West," as the sign on I-70 approaching the eastern end of I-68 suggests.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Sykotyk

It's been rumored for a long time. Honestly, US250 is a horrible road if you're trying to travel quickly. But, I-79 to I-70 is a decent route that US250 does not need to be freeway-tized. If 68 does get extended, route it down and along the US50 to Parkersburg and over to Cincinnati via Athens.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Sykotyk on May 03, 2011, 04:07:04 PM
But, I-79 to I-70 is a decent route that US250 does not need to be freeway-tized.

If they had the money, a freeway bypass of Morgantown to the north would be nice.  For long distance travel, you wouldn't have to dip to the south to the I-68/79 interchange (For the 68-79-70 connection), and locally it would probably be good the way Morgantown area has exploded with development.
Of course, I doubt they have money for either that or an I-68 extension.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

SP Cook

A north freeway bypass of Morgantown, connecting I-68 to I-79, and an east bypass of Beckley, connecting I-64 to US 19/Corridor L to the Turnpike are both in the state's long range plan. 

NE2

Part of the Beckley bypass has been completed (unless another is planned?)

Buummu

A Morgantown northern bypass is planned.. interesting.. is it going to be a future Interstate connector or what?

NE2

It's going to be numbered I-687999.

dave19

Quote from: Buummu on May 03, 2011, 10:32:52 PM
A Morgantown northern bypass is planned.. interesting.. is it going to be a future Interstate connector or what?
WV 268 - four lanes but with some at-grade intersections like the A.R.C.'s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.