News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-70/71 Columbus Crossroads

Started by vtk, September 15, 2011, 04:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

I've seen the renderings of the finished project, but seeing the bridge supports being erected really gives you a sense of the scale of this thing. The flyover from downtown to I-71 south has one 80 feet (!) tall, which should be awesome in snow or ice.

GCrites

Yeah it's tall even without the girders, decking or barriers up.

TempoNick

Quote from: 6a on December 09, 2022, 04:51:31 PM
I've seen the renderings of the finished project, but seeing the bridge supports being erected really gives you a sense of the scale of this thing. The flyover from downtown to I-71 south has one 80 feet (!) tall, which should be awesome in snow or ice.

I was on a real tall flyover in Miami once and it wasn't fun.

I still think they should have reworked I-670 for I-71. It would have made the work on I-70 a lot more simple.

It looks nice, but compared to some of the freeway's in other states, they could have done more with the curb appeal. Peoria, Green Bay, Des Moines and Denver have especially nice aesthetics. I like Peoria and Denver the best.

6a

Posted yesterday by the Vivid Columbus Facebook page:

TempoNick

vtk

The editing makes it hard to study for details, but here's YouTube Short by ODOT showing the last several months of progress:

https://youtube.com/shorts/zCJV18IVOVc?si=WtdOdakW4QWJitG_
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

KelleyCook

Quote from: TempoNick on December 20, 2022, 01:01:11 AM
It looks nice, but compared to some of the freeway's in other states, they could have done more with the curb appeal. Peoria, Green Bay, Des Moines and Denver have especially nice aesthetics. I like Peoria and Denver the best.

All they had to do was to spy on their neighbors to the north.

I-75 from 8 mile to 12 mile (actually all the way to Square Lake Rd in Bloomfield) should be a lesson on how to reconfigure an urban freeway to both flow better -- especially the new braided entrance ramp coming from I-696 -- and getting a facelift to now look surprisingly nice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.