News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 18, 2022, 11:06:25 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2022, 10:47:01 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/cDS9CuFWLkPP4L8D6

NJ always had signals with heads over the opposing lanes of traffic.  I never understood that reasoning until I moved down to Florida where the state here follows the MUTCD hanging only the needed signal heads directly in front of the driver.  That created a problem once I had semis in front of me blocking my sight of the signals.

The above location has the two sided double back to back heads as you can see which allows you to have an alternate view of the signals orientation if a large semi is the vehicle ahead of you.

IL and CA have something similar, but near right side side mount signal heads instead.

Too bad NJ is phasing out the median mast arms you see here for more traditional mast arm set ups, but I like this set up here. I don't like the street blades though showing the cardinal directions here though due to the inability to turn left or right here restricted by the NO TURNS sign posted.
I like those setups that have some near side and vertically mounted signals. So many states just use far side overhead signals, and nothing else.

NJ would often have 6 mast arms at a typical four way intersection. On highways it was a neat feature to have.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

It is good (for all the aforementioned reasons) to have supplemental signal heads on the left side of the road or the near right corner. While the current MUTCD does encourage the two required heads to be over the thru traffic lanes, it does NOT prohibit having any of those traditional left-side supplemental heads, including the traditional New Jersey style overhead mount.

Roadwarriors79

Has ADOT (here in Arizona) quietly changed their style of traffic signals? This is at Loop 303 and Jomax Pkwy in Peoria. I have seen new installations in the Phoenix area and in Tucson.

SM-G998U1

mapman1071

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on January 20, 2022, 05:52:51 PM
Has ADOT (here in Arizona) quietly changed their style of traffic signals? This is at Loop 303 and Jomax Pkwy in Peoria. I have seen new installations in the Phoenix area and in Tucson.

SM-G998U1

City of Peoria Install

Roadwarriors79

I have seen other examples at Loop 202 and Lindsay Rd in Gilbert, AZ 87 and Gilbert Rd just south of Chandler, and the new I-10 and Houghton Rd interchange in Tucson

SM-G998U1

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/pdNVKqEoJU3qUMKH9

Find it odd that a straight through signal head is on both sides of a left turn signal.

I do like the fact, though, that this intersection still has green signal heads that still haven't gotten switched out yet. I grew up on green signal heads as they were pretty common in the seventies for NJ.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Quote from: roadman65 on February 04, 2022, 10:20:00 AM

Find it odd that a straight through signal head is on both sides of a left turn signal.

I do like the fact, though, that this intersection still has green signal heads that still haven't gotten switched out yet. I grew up on green signal heads as they were pretty common in the seventies for NJ.

A circular green to the left of a left-turn arrow is common in New Jersey (and California). New York State has a specific rule prohibiting that practice. I have mixed feelings about this issue as you can make a reasonable case for either policy.

DrSmith

Quote from: SignBridge on February 04, 2022, 08:41:24 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 04, 2022, 10:20:00 AM

A circular green to the left of a left-turn arrow is common in New Jersey (and California). New York State has a specific rule prohibiting that practice. I have mixed feelings about this issue as you can make a reasonable case for either policy.

The opposite side does not have it. In this case it may also be for visibility as there is a S-curve before the signal. From a distance the signal on the left side appears more over the lanes.

roadman65

I was thinking that as where S Curves are before the signals that they have one to be seen before the curve as we had one in Clark on Raritan Road at Central Avenue but once the curve is reached that particular signal head is out of sight.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

That overhead near-left side supplemental signal is standard in most New Jersey installations regardless of whether the approach is straight or curved. And I consider it a good feature. It enables you to see the signal, even when the heads directly over your traffic lanes might be blocked by a tall vehicle.

Agreed there is an issue about having a supplemental green-ball to the left of a left-turn arrow, but it's a matter of opinion whether this actually creates a problem. One answer might be instead to use a (Wisconsin style) near-right corner post-mounted head when there is a left-turn signal. This is common in California too.

SignBridge

Very quiet here lately. LOL Is everybody hibernating for the winter?

plain

Anybody have any idea what these are sitting on top of these pedestrian signals? I saw them a few minutes ago and got out of the car to take a pic. I was about to hit the ped button to see what's up but a couple of cops was looking at me like wtf is he doing so I jumped back in the car and left lmao

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

LilianaUwU

Quote from: plain on February 15, 2022, 01:45:47 AM
Anybody have any idea what these are sitting on top of these pedestrian signals? I saw them a few minutes ago and got out of the car to take a pic. I was about to hit the ped button to see what's up but a couple of cops was looking at me like wtf is he doing so I jumped back in the car and left lmao

Could those be speakers? They might beep to help blind people cross safely.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Big John

Quote from: LilianaUwU on February 15, 2022, 03:25:25 AM

Yes they are beepers.

fwydriver405

Quote from: Big John on February 15, 2022, 09:34:24 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on February 15, 2022, 03:25:25 AM

Yes they are beepers.

I believe these could be Novax DS3000 Series APS units, as shown below. Used to be common around some municipalities around NH-Maine before they moved to APS buttons.

https://novax.com/product/ds3000-series-aps/

fwydriver405

Quote from: roadfro on March 19, 2020, 04:35:29 PM
Quote from: fwydriver405 on March 18, 2020, 10:30:18 AM
On my way to a basketball playoff game on 6-7 March 2020, I noticed this intersection with some strange phasing:

US 2 near Delta Hotels by Marriott - phasing dosen't show on Google Maps

This intersection has no left turn lanes, only shared left/thru in both directions. However, at one point I noticed that the signal operated with a dual leading left (green left arrow in both directions + red ball for thru/right turns). Is this phasing legal in the MUTCD? Legal or not, I fail to see how this phasing would work with the lane configuration, especially if there is a car intending to go straight in the left-hand lane blocking left-turning drivers from proceeding when the dual left occurs...

Closer to home, I've noticed this phasing at this intersection as well...

Yeah, pretty sure that's not really MUTCD-kosher...

Finally got a video of such phasing in South Burlington on 2022-01-28 when we came back for a game at UVM. Sometimes it goes to dual lead even if there is a car in the left lane only in one direction, and sometimes it goes to single lead in the same scenario as last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4RAFIqkVrY

Big John

^^ Coverings as that approach is not yet finished.

SkyPesos

fwydriver405

Quote from: Lukeisroads on February 18, 2022, 11:23:29 PM
What are these white things in traffic lights i can only find em in cali
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2961756,-119.0833111,3a,50.4y,360.53h,103.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sikuaEXZPX4YSKuDM_E0dVw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DikuaEXZPX4YSKuDM_E0dVw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D206.58623%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I want to take a guess that:

• the LED modules simply haven't been installed in the signal heads yet (most probable)
  • the LED modules are covered (not probable... inactive signal heads in CA from my knowledge are either bagged and/or gift-wrapped)

Lukeisroads

Quote from: fwydriver405 on February 18, 2022, 11:38:46 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2961756,-119.0833111,3a,50.4y,360.53h,103.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sikuaEXZPX4YSKuDM_E0dVw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DikuaEXZPX4YSKuDM_E0dVw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D206.58623%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I want to take a guess that:

• the LED modules simply haven't been installed in the signal heads yet (most probable)
  • the LED modules are covered (not probable... inactive signal heads in CA from my knowledge are either bagged and/or gift-wrapped)
yeh ive seen one flash with the covers on so it must like be a cover with tons of wires inside that go to the panel

jakeroot

As long as your question has been answered...

This intersection is yet further evidence that California has no standard for a left turn signal mounting position, even at brand new intersections. At some intersections (about 50%), the mounting piece (tenon + plumbizer) is between the red and amber, but at others (like here, and the other 50%), it is above the red.

plain

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 18, 2022, 11:38:07 PM
A traffic light mounted behind a mast arm. First time seeing this.

I can't say that I've seen this either, and I've seen some pretty kooky installations. I can see those type of signals are mounted on a bracket wrapped around a pole between the red a yellow sections (I have seen those before) but that is just wild!!

PColumbus73

Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2022, 11:12:03 AM

NJ always had signals with heads over the opposing lanes of traffic.  I never understood that reasoning until I moved down to Florida where the state here follows the MUTCD hanging only the needed signal heads directly in front of the driver.  That created a problem once I had semis in front of me blocking my sight of the signals.

The above location has the two sided double back to back heads as you can see which allows you to have an alternate view of the signals orientation if a large semi is the vehicle ahead of you.

IL and CA have something similar, but near right side side mount signal heads instead.

Too bad NJ is phasing out the median mast arms you see here for more traditional mast arm set ups, but I like this set up here. I don't like the street blades though showing the cardinal directions here though due to the inability to turn left or right here restricted by the NO TURNS sign posted.
I like those setups that have some near side and vertically mounted signals. So many states just use far side overhead signals, and nothing else.

NJ would often have 6 mast arms at a typical four way intersection. On highways it was a neat feature to have.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.438471,-79.1276102,3a,60y,35.28h,88.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sASO9H6wu_qTXnobgDvWSEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Something that is fairly common in the Carolinas is having a near-side signal overhead at certain intersections.

plain

Quote from: PColumbus73 on February 19, 2022, 06:01:12 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2022, 11:12:03 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.438471,-79.1276102,3a,60y,35.28h,88.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sASO9H6wu_qTXnobgDvWSEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Something that is fairly common in the Carolinas is having a near-side signal overhead at certain intersections.

I remember when NC in particular used to have exactly one far side and one near side signal for each direction at many regular (no turn lane) intersections, and of course all hung from wire spans. I used to think they looked funny.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.