News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AVI video help??

Started by Alps, June 20, 2012, 09:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I've never run into this before, but Windows Movie Maker refuses to open my AVI file. Apparently it's a problem with newer Canon cameras, just like the one I now use. D'oh! I can't find a single converter (AVI to WMV or even just AVI to a better AVI) that isn't either broken or potentially malware/spyware. Please help point me in the right direction!

NE2

I remember using GraphEdit a while back for conversion - have you tried it?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Never heard of it. I'm just going to state off the bat, no one recommend Format Factory to me ever again.

Scott5114

Have you tried copying it over from your camera again? If you are lucky maybe something went awry during the copy process that corrupted the file, and a new copy will be openable.

Unfortunately video editing is one of the few things open source software has never really been able to get right so I don't have any recommendations. Supposedly Cinelerra is good but I tried to use it once and ended up admitting defeat. The interface reminded me more of the cockpit of a Boeing 737 than anything else.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

BigMattFromTexas

I've had this exact same problem! I don't know what to do either!
BigMatt

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 20, 2012, 11:35:24 PM
Have you tried copying it over from your camera again? If you are lucky maybe something went awry during the copy process that corrupted the file, and a new copy will be openable.

It plays fine in other programs. It's just an issue with Canons.

Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on June 21, 2012, 12:07:27 AM
I've had this exact same problem! I don't know what to do either!
BigMatt
Here's a workaround - I downloaded VirtualDub and got the DIVX codec (which I thought I already had, but whatever). The AVI opens in VDub, and then I choose DIVX compression and save it back out as an AVI. That seems to work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.