Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

"Cyn" as an abbreviation for "Canyon." That's a new one for me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SignBridge

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2021, 07:53:01 PM

Very common in California.

jakeroot

So common in fact that I've always assumed it was the standard abbreviation. I know USPS also uses it.

US 89

Quote from: SignBridge on July 08, 2021, 08:14:17 PM
Very common in California.

And in a whole bunch of other western states that have lots of them. I would not have thought anything of that.

Rothman

I know.  KY uses "Hlr." :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on July 08, 2021, 11:31:07 PM
I know.  KY uses "Hlr." :D

LOL. I have seen "Holw." used on blade-type signs, though.

formulanone

I'm just here to post that this still exists (as of last week), at Hiatus Road underneath I-595. 

This similar example was at the nearby Nob Hill exit, but it was removed about 6-7 years ago:

tolbs17

Should my thread be merged to this one?

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 23, 2021, 08:26:02 PM
Should my thread be merged to this one?
No, because these are actual design errors. While your thread is for nitpicking on minor details on BGS signage from arguably one of the best DOTs in the nation.

Scott5114

Just in case anyone's been wondering how ODOT's doing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

I drove up to Flint yesterday to get get photos of fairly new signs, and I saw a couple with minor design issues.

First advance APL for I-75 on westbound I-69.  The EXIT and ONLY tabs for the exit lane were omitted.  They are on the other APLs.  (Maybe this one was deliberate so as not to be confused with the EXIT ONLY for exit 135?)

Eastbound I-69 at I-475.  Cardinal direction is to the left of the route shield at a right-hand ramp split.

roadfro

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 01, 2022, 11:50:18 PM
I drove up to Flint yesterday to get get photos of fairly new signs, and I saw a couple with minor design issues.
<...>
Eastbound I-69 at I-475.  Cardinal direction is to the left of the route shield at a right-hand ramp split.

While it might be a fairly standard convention, nothing in the MUTCD dictates the placement of the cardinal direction in relation to the shield when signing opposing directions at a split.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

And indeed some states entirely ignore it (Kansas, for instance, seems to always put the direction after the shield).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

Quote from: roadfro on January 02, 2022, 02:31:16 PM
<...>

While it might be a fairly standard convention, nothing in the MUTCD dictates the placement of the cardinal direction in relation to the shield when signing opposing directions at a split.

True, but I've never seen this in Michigan so I'm guessing it's an error with respect to the state's design standards.

tolbs17

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 02, 2022, 04:32:17 PM
Quote from: roadfro on January 02, 2022, 02:31:16 PM
<...>

True, but I've never seen this in Michigan so I'm guessing it's an error with respect to the state's design standards.
Those signs look fine to me....

hbelkins

I personally prefer the direction to be to the left of, or above, the route marker, and not to the right of it.

SignBridge

I guess it's a matter of personal viewpoint. I always preferred the direction to the right of the shield, regardless of the alignment of the road. I like consistency.

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2022, 03:56:28 PM
And indeed some states entirely ignore it (Kansas, for instance, seems to always put the direction after the shield).
Nevada is the same way. Cardinal direction is almost always to the right of the shield (s). It'll be to the left of the shield on occasion, in a few of the instances like this post. They're never on top of the shield, mainly because Nevada has had a maximum sign height (at least on structures not using APLs) that would preclude cardinal directions above the shield in most cases.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Definitely used to/prefer seeing the cardinal direction to the right of the shield, although that may be the result of my preferred verbiage ("405 south", "I-90 east").

There are exceptions in WA; sometimes the cardinal direction is to the left of the shield, although 95% of signs have it either above the shield, or to the right. Another exception is when there's a split: there will be a line above/below the shield, with cardinal directions on both sides of the shield (example).

One other oddity will be pull-through signage. In the past, signs like these were used where there would be a single cardinal direction directly above the control city, with the shields off to the right and left edges of the sign (not anywhere near the cardinal direction). I think these are common in Minnesota too; I kind of like them, but they're pretty rare now, although that one (from the prior link) dates to 2008 and may have been the most recent install, and I cannot readily think of another example (I-5 northbound nearby at WA-167 had one, but it was removed).

SignBridge

Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2022, 04:44:20 PM
Definitely used to/prefer seeing the cardinal direction to the right of the shield, although that may be the result of my preferred verbiage ("405 south", "I-90 east").

There are exceptions in WA; sometimes the cardinal direction is to the left of the shield, although 95% of signs have it either above the shield, or to the right. Another exception is when there's a split: there will be a line above/below the shield, with cardinal directions on both sides of the shield (example).

One other oddity will be pull-through signage. In the past, signs like these were used where there would be a single cardinal direction directly above the control city, with the shields off to the right and left edges of the sign (not anywhere near the cardinal direction). I think these are common in Minnesota too; I kind of like them, but they're pretty rare now, although that one (from the prior link) dates to 2008 and may have been the most recent install, and I cannot readily think of another example (I-5 northbound nearby at WA-167 had one, but it was removed).

Why do they have a separate sign for the I-5 South, right-thru lane. Why not have the main sign over the four thru lanes with four arrows instead of three?

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on January 06, 2022, 04:49:20 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2022, 04:44:20 PM

Why do they have a separate sign for the I-5 South, right-thru lane. Why not have the main sign over the four thru lanes with four arrows instead of three?

I believe the plan is to have this be a "lane ends after exit" sign but has temporarily become an additional pull-through sign.

tolbs17

The far left sign is a design error because it only uses one arrow instead of two arrows pointing down at both lanes. And when looking at the signs, they went up in most likely the early to mid 2000s.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5690293,-82.4939908,3a,22y,241.29h,93.83t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_Cs5xfER1ND4jzO_G5OZRw!2e0!5s20210601T000000!7i16384!8i8192

Bruce

I-5 has been downgraded to a business route in Seattle:

(Taken on SR 520 westbound approaching its terminus)

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on January 22, 2022, 09:01:17 PM
I-5 has been downgraded to a business route in Seattle:

(Taken on SR 520 westbound approaching its terminus)

Same-height capital letters, plus the periods in "BC"...this sign has more than a few problems. Of course, there is construction in the area...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.