Southern Ohio: SR 823 / Portsmouth Bypass

Started by seicer, June 17, 2013, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/bookmark/22845674
ODOT issues RFQ on Portsmouth Bypass
9 days ago
Wayne Allen

On Friday the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) issued a request for qualifications (RFQ) to potential contractors for several aspects of the Portsmouth Bypass.

From the RFQ:

"ODOT intends to enter into a Public Private Agreement for the design, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of the Portsmouth Bypass. The project will be a four-lane, divided, limited-access highway around the city of Portsmouth in Scioto County. The highway designated State Route 823 is comprised of 16 miles of new highway, bypassing approximately 26 miles of U.S. 52 and U.S. 23 through Portsmouth, Ohio. ODOT also proposes the long-term operations and maintenance of the constructed facility."

"The developer will design, construct, finance, operate and maintain the new 16-mile bypass and provide all associated items, including, but not limited to, earthwork, pavements, landscaping, drainage, utilities, guardrail, barrier, retaining and noise abatement walls, bridges, culverts, traffic control, lighting and aesthetic enhancements for to completion of the facility. The developer will enter into an agreement for the project. The term of the agreement will be determined at RFP (Request For Proposals) stage, but is expected to extend up to 40 years from the commencement of the project."

Five interchanges:
US 52, SR 140 (partial), Shumway Hollow Road, Lucasville Minford Road, US 23

This has the makings of a tolled facility.

hbelkins

I'd love to see a map of the proposed routing of this road. Since it carries the 852 designation, I presume it would extend from the Carl D. Perkins bridge?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2013, 09:23:30 PM
I'd love to see a map of the proposed routing of this road. Since it carries the 852 designation, I presume it would extend from the Carl D. Rogers bridge?
823; the topic was typoed.
http://www.portsmouthbypass.com/MapsDocs.htm
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Well, that's just about useless. Does nothing to take through US 23 or US 52 traffic out of downtown Portsmouth.

NE2

Through US 23 traffic can hop over to US 52 on the bridge north of Greenup. Through traffic on US 52 is more likely than not heading to Cinci, meaning US 23 to SR 32 is a better route.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Or the AA Highway.

Although US 52 along the river really isn't that bad of a route.

vtk

Gov Kasich's magic $3B in new highway funding reportedly includes $440M for the Portsmouth Bypass.  How much of the project cost is that? Is a private entity still going to be in charge of the whole thing?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

seicer

It is being studied for a public-private partnership, which would mean tolls would be levied.

jjakucyk

Tolls to save 8 minutes during off-peak hours and 16 minutes during rush hour, while saving at most 1 1/2 miles?  Yeah, that'll be a real winner. 

Brandon

^^ It could be shadow tolled instead of an outright toll for a public-private partnership.  If so, you'll never see a toll on the bridge, but the state will be paying the builder via taxes instead.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

agentsteel53

Quote from: jjakucyk on August 07, 2013, 12:10:59 PM
Tolls to save 8 minutes during off-peak hours and 16 minutes during rush hour, while saving at most 1 1/2 miles?  Yeah, that'll be a real winner.

how much is the toll?  to save 16 minutes, if I'm worth 50 bucks an hour, and I'm not doing anything useful while sitting in traffic, I'd pay about 13 bucks.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

I think there's been a bit of confusion about the location of this project, so I've prepared a map:

It's designated OH 823, not OH 852.  OH 852 extends from the US 52 / OH 73 / OH 104 interchange south to Kentucky.  There wasn't quite room to label it on this map.

It may not be strictly a bypass for US 23 or for US 52, but it is suitable as a bypass for general north—south traffic.  This may be part of Corridor B or Corridor C, but the map on Wikipedia is kind of hard to read when it comes to details like this.

I don't think there are plans to toll the road.

NE2

seicer

Yes, VTK. I got it wrong in the title - OH 852 is basically the Perkins Bridge connector that I drive all the time and had on my mind at the moment of writing.

As for the bypass, it's not intended for Portsmouth residents. US 23 was one of the first corridors in the state to be four-laned very early on, and it served what was a bustling industrial area that's almost all gone. A lot of traffic from US 23 south goes to US 52 east towards Interstate 64 and vice-versa.

Right now, the only "bypass" is through Rosemont Hill, which isn't suitable for trucks.

From an article earlier this year:

"What the discussion was, right now the bypass is estimated to cost $500 million to construct. They (ODOT) have about $120 million in a savings account for construction of this road. They're adding about $20 million a year."

"The idea is that they (ODOT) would hire a construction company to design, build and maintain this road for about a 35-year period,. In return for doing this, the company would receive an annual payment for that service. The bypass is only 16 miles, the thought was that's not going to be enough for a company to set up an operation to maintain 16 miles of roadway. So, what the state is considering, is to give this private company the responsibility of maintaining not only the bypass, but also maintaining all state and U.S. Highways within the county."

The last sentence was something I was not aware of.

"Also on the flyer is a section about the key PPP (Public, Private Partnership) benefits. Those include accelerating delivery of project and benefits by eight years, leveraging $120 million Appalachian Development Highway System funds, deferring project payments until construction is complete, freeing ODOT budget capacity to deliver other near-term projects and maximizing schedule and pricing certainty."

http://tinyurl.com/kymx67g

--

Then this: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/news/JandTPlanDocs/072213-PRESSRELEASE-Cen-SEOhio-Districts569and10.pdf

"Kasich's plan uses money from the Ohio Turnpike to help build many new projects in northern Ohio and will allow many other projects to proceed much earlier than anticipated. Other central and southeast Ohio projects getting Kasich's green light include:
* Building a new highway bypassing the city of Portsmouth in Scioto County ($440 million and project will remain on scheduled to begin as early as 2014)"

NE2

I think you can change the title of your own thread.

seicer

Alps

Quote from: vtk on August 07, 2013, 04:19:16 PM
I think there's been a bit of confusion about the location of this project, so I've prepared a map:

It would be so much cheaper to build this if they just went right around the side of Portsmouth.

vtk

Quote from: Steve on August 09, 2013, 07:11:25 PM
Quote from: vtk on August 07, 2013, 04:19:16 PM

It would be so much cheaper to build this if they just went right around the side of Portsmouth.

But then you'd also need to build bypasses at New Boston (if not already bypasses by your idea) and Lucasville, as those are also significant slowdowns.  Also, Porsmouth is built right up the hillsides, so you'd be grading on steep slopes or creating significant residential impacts, if not both.

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on August 10, 2013, 10:45:45 AM
Quote from: Steve on August 09, 2013, 07:11:25 PM

But then you'd also need to build bypasses at New Boston (if not already bypasses by your idea) and Lucasville, as those are also significant slowdowns.  Also, Porsmouth is built right up the hillsides, so you'd be grading on steep slopes or creating significant residential impacts, if not both.

Agreed. Drawing a short line around the side of Portsmouth/New Boston mike look easier or cheaper on the map, but there are a lot of obstacles in the way. Scioto County is very hilly to begin with, and the parts right around/north of Portsmouth/New Boston have the biggest hills in that area. The hills butt right up against the towns and at times right up against 52 and 23, and all the little valleys between those hills are fairly populated as well. I wouldn't be surprised if going that way ended up being more expensive. And as you hinted at it would be pointless to built a bypass that failed to bypass Lucasville as well.

The planned route, while really long for a bypass, sticks to the outlying areas that aren't as populated, goes through areas with smaller hills, and manages to bypass all the existing slowdowns with an added bonus of giving better access to the county airport. According to ODOT the bypass will avoid 30 traffic signals, 80 intersections and 500 private drives.

Here's another map of the project with satellite view (though it incorrectly labels New Boston as Portsmouth)

Strider

And, if I-73/74 is to be extended from NC/VA/WV, I'd bet the interstates will follow the Portsmouth Bypass.

vtk

Quote from: Strider on November 05, 2013, 05:42:16 PM
And, if I-73/74 is to be extended from NC/VA/WV, I'd bet the interstates will follow the Portsmouth Bypass.

I believe that was the plan all along, before Ohio lost interest in those larger goals.

NE2

The 1962 official map shows this as SR 423, with a more southerly routing.

1969 has it again, a bit differently, as well as a spur of Corridor D (now planned as I-74?). It looks like this spur was built as a two-lane road east of Crabtree.

seicer

Yes. I drove on OH 348 a while back as I had come from Lucasville and was going to Cincinnati, and was surprised at the conditions of the road. It is two-lanes on a four-lane ROW (IIRC), partially controlled with no driveways, and then... it ends. It was constructed in 1972.

OH 73 is a great cut through route from Portsmouth to Cincinnati, and the road has quite a bit of traffic. Nothing severe, but the many curves and hills (and humps) really makes it a slow drive, especially if there are trucks. Very limited passing areas.

OH 348 would be a good connector to the new bypass, but it is unlikely that the remainder will be finished.

hbelkins

vtk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.