News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: NE2 on November 08, 2013, 05:22:16 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on November 08, 2013, 03:55:08 PM
All things considered, this problem is a lot less annoying than the smut deposits I had to deal with when I still used mice with mechanical tracking (another "You are too old if you remember . . ." item which I am quite happy to forget, TYVM).
You are too old if you remember cleaning the crap off the rollers of a mouse at a public computer.

Jeeze, that was only about two years ago here.

You are too old if you don't remember public computers.

Brandon

Quote from: kkt on November 08, 2013, 05:53:27 PM
All things considered, this problem is a lot less annoying than the smut deposits I had to deal with when I still used mice with mechanical tracking (another "You are too old if you remember . . ." item which I am quite happy to forget, TYVM).
You are too old if you remember cleaning the crap off the rollers of a mouse at a public computer.

Jeeze, that was only about two years ago here.

You are too old if you don't remember public computers.

You are too old if you remember public computers without mice just for accessing Usenet.

OK, maybe not all that old, but old enough.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

Sadly, this was a mere two months ago at a client's rather old PC, but one still capable for basic tasks. I probably handle this mundane task about 4-5 times a year.

Also, a piece of paper works wonders for laser mice on glass desktops. Sometimes there's a tiny lag of initial latency, sometimes not.

roadman

Quote from: roadman on November 07, 2013, 02:56:19 PM

I remember S&H very well.  Among other reasons, my parents obtained the canisters of the cheap-o knockoff of American Plastic Bricks I played with from S&H (a book and a half for each canister IIRC).

Another personal S&H story I recall from my youth.  Their later catalogs came out when the era of lawyer-inspired disclaimers had just started.  One of the standard offerings from catalog to catalog was a cat scratching post (one book IIRC), which was always depicted in the photo with a cat playing with it.

So, when my parents got the new catalog and I was able to get it away from them, I'd always go to the page with the scratching post and add the notation "Cat Not Included" to the picture.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Smudgy

Quote from: Steve on September 02, 2013, 11:32:55 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on August 30, 2013, 10:27:30 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 29, 2013, 10:54:25 PM* Something I guess were called "flare pots" (but I remember calling "smoke pots") as a regular warning device at construction sites, particularly unattended ones at night.  It looked like a little cannonball, as I recall, with a very small flame flickering atop it -- not bright, but lit and able to stay on all night.  There may have been another name for these.

I also feel like there were many more flashing yellow lights on construction barricades before recent years, and I can only guess this is because of advances/proliferation of reflective materials.  I remember far more often driving past rows of scores of the, something I don't notice as much these days.

I recall those, what I call 'smudgepots', too.  You can frequently find them on eBay and someone may still make them.

Smudge pots are indeed their name, and I would be very surprised if anyone made them now.

roadman65

When men would only wear shorts when its warm outside.

Also on that note, when in Florida or anyplace warm year round, if you moved to either of these two places from any of the 4 season's states and wore short pants in 60 degree weather, the locals would look at you funny.  I remember when people from Florida would consider low 70s with no humidity as too cold for shorts or even to go swimming in.    It seems like blood does not thin out anymore here in Florida even when it drops down in the 30's with a strong windchill!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

^ I moved to Florida in the early-1980s, and it wasn't uncommon back then or now to see a mix of folks wearing shorts and someone donning a fur coat when it turned 59 degrees. Everyone seems to be caught off-guard or over-prepares during the first "cold snap". Of course, this varies on where you lived: Gainesville or Tallahassee might hit 30 for a high, while Miami's enjoying 75-80 degrees that afternoon. Or Tampa having a February morning of 35 with fog, warming up to 80 by mid-day, just to make things difficult.

So it seems like it's always been (ab)normal to see that...on the other hand, winter or autumn clothing lasts 20+ years.

mgk920

...your ICQ number.

:D

(Mine was 5634876 and checking on their website, the account is still active and I was able to log in with it.  I stopped regularly using ICQ about 10-12 years ago when their system got all scrambled up and I was unable to log in with my system app.  That appears to have cleared up since the Russians took it over a couple of years ago.)

Mike

DeaconG

Quote from: formulanone on November 10, 2013, 06:25:16 PM
^ I moved to Florida in the early-1980s, and it wasn't uncommon back then or now to see a mix of folks wearing shorts and someone donning a fur coat when it turned 59 degrees. Everyone seems to be caught off-guard or over-prepares during the first "cold snap". Of course, this varies on where you lived: Gainesville or Tallahassee might hit 30 for a high, while Miami's enjoying 75-80 degrees that afternoon. Or Tampa having a February morning of 35 with fog, warming up to 80 by mid-day, just to make things difficult.

So it seems like it's always been (ab)normal to see that...on the other hand, winter or autumn clothing lasts 20+ years.

I moved to Florida in November 1984 and I thought it was just delightful to walk around in a T-shirt and shorts while the locals were sliding on sweaters and looking at me funny.

Late 1985? I was the local in the long pants and sweaters looking at the ones without and going "Just got here, huh?  You'll learn..."
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

1995hoo

Our relatives from the Miami area seem to think 60 degrees is cold. When they visited us here one September three or four years ago, we had set up the table outside for dinner only to be told it was "too cold" for their kids to eat out there. It was about 62 or 63 degrees.  :rolleyes:

Too bad they're not here this morning. It's around 30 as I type this.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 13, 2013, 07:42:13 AM
Our relatives from the Miami area seem to think 60 degrees is cold. When they visited us here one September three or four years ago, we had set up the table outside for dinner only to be told it was "too cold" for their kids to eat out there. It was about 62 or 63 degrees.  :rolleyes:

Too bad they're not here this morning. It's around 30 as I type this.

They'd never make it in Da UP.  60 up there is considered summer weather.  70-75 is time to hit the beach.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mgk920 on November 10, 2013, 11:53:12 PM
...your ICQ number.

:D

(Mine was 5634876 and checking on their website, the account is still active and I was able to log in with it.  I stopped regularly using ICQ about 10-12 years ago when their system got all scrambled up and I was unable to log in with my system app.  That appears to have cleared up since the Russians took it over a couple of years ago.)

Mike

ICQ, memories.... Who also remember AIM, Trillian, Yahoo chat, MSN chat?

Before Firefox, Google Chrome,Microsoft Internet Explorer, anyone remember Netscape and some former search engines like Alta-vista, Infoseek, Excite?

bugo

I don't want to go back and read the entire thread, but has anybody mentioned Saturday morning cartoons? Getting up early on Saturday to watch the Bugs Bunny show was a highlight of my childhood and a great influence on my life.  I remember not being able to sleep on Friday night because I was so excited about the next day.  It makes me sad to know that this tradition has gone away.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: bugo on November 13, 2013, 07:40:13 PM
I don't want to go back and read the entire thread, but has anybody mentioned Saturday morning cartoons? Getting up early on Saturday to watch the Bugs Bunny show was a highlight of my childhood and a great influence on my life.  I remember not being able to sleep on Friday night because I was so excited about the next day.  It makes me sad to know that this tradition has gone away.

I remember Saturday Morning cartoons too. :)   The bad idea for NBC to air news and countless of Saved by the Bell clones....>_<

formulanone

I don't want to go back and read the entire thread, but has anybody mentioned Saturday morning cartoons? ...It makes me sad to know that this tradition has gone away.

That was our time, as a kid. Nobody would tell you to change the channel.

I never noticed this until about two years ago; there are no cartoons on any of the major networks on a Saturday morning, which surprised me when I flipped channels while watching with my daughter. Some of the cable networks do have cartoons, but essentially they're on at any time of day. My dad told me that back in the 1940's and 1950's cartoons were a "leader" for movies (along with the news and later, the B-reel movie on Saturday morning matinees), so the tradition predates TV.

It's really meaningless fluff now; I mean, most of the cartoons were just ads to get you buy the toys that related to the shows, right? Can't imagine how the infomercials really sell that well, but what do I know...?

Edit: I guess a variety of reasons contributed to its demise.

roadman

Quote from: formulanone on November 13, 2013, 07:58:50 PM
I don't want to go back and read the entire thread, but has anybody mentioned Saturday morning cartoons? ...It makes me sad to know that this tradition has gone away.

I never noticed this until about two years ago; there are no cartoons on any of the major networks on a Saturday morning, which surprised me when I flipped channels while watching with my daughter. Some of the cable networks do have cartoons, but essentially they're on at any time of day. My dad told me that back in the 1940's and 1950's cartoons were a "leader" for movies (along with the news and later, the B-reel movie on Saturday morning matinees), so the tradition predates TV.

It's really meaningless fluff now; I mean, most of the cartoons were just ads to get you buy the toys that related to the shows, right? Can't imagine how the infomercials really sell that well, but what do I know...?

Most of the cartoons NOW are just to get kids to buy either DVDS or toys related to the show.  While there was some marketing of show-related products during the heyday of Saturday morning cartoons (1960s to early 1980s), it wasn't nearly as widespread as it is today.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

allniter89

I'm 60 yrs old and still remember the lyrics, hmm maybe i shouldnt admit that ;-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-t8PngHgWY
I was the oldest of 5 kids that included 4 boys. After marching around the living room to the opening theme the 5 of us sat silently, except for frequent laughter the entire hour. Mom said years later she was amazed (and thankful) that she had at least one hour of p&q Saturday mornings. I watched years later as a adult and still laughed my ass off. Another YATOIYR is Remember shooting marbles as a kid? Marble types named steelies, cateyes, smalleys, biggys. Do kids still shoot marbles? Probably not :-(((
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

mgk920

Ya know, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of cartoon shorts and a current newsreel before feature movies in the theaters today.

:nod:

Mike

formulanone

Pixar still has a short 5-10 minute cartoon before the feature presentation.

DeaconG

What I also liked about all the Warner Bros. cartoons from the 30s through the 50s was that the cartoons were written for two audiences-you had the obvious yuks for the kids and the more subtle humor for the adults (I didn't notice this until I was older and was watching the cartoons on TV and picked up on the subtle humor, especially if you recognized the history going on at the time).
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

PHLBOS

Quote from: DeaconG on November 14, 2013, 10:06:51 AM

What I also liked about all the Warner Bros. cartoons from the 30s through the 50s was that the cartoons were written for two audiences-you had the obvious yuks for the kids and the more subtle humor for the adults (I didn't notice this until I was older and was watching the cartoons on TV and picked up on the subtle humor, especially if you recognized the history going on at the time).
The reason for that was obvious... as menitoned earlier, those cartoon were originally movie shorts; which had a more varied audience.  Similar held true for all Looney Tunes through the early 70s in some instances, Hanna-Barbera shorts (Tom & Jerry, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, etc.), Disney shorts, Pink Panther cartoons (the earlier ones) and, yes The Three Stooges.  All of the above originally aired in theaters before being shown on the small screen decades later.

Those shows & cartoons were never originally intended to be Kids Only shows.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kurumi

Quote from: DeaconG on November 14, 2013, 10:06:51 AM

From 1942 (I think this is Tweety Bird's debut): (http://youtu.be/w2GfXxXUJy4?t=1m31s)

Babbit: Give me the bird! Give me the bird!

Catstello: If the Hays Office would only let me, I'd give him the bird all right.

(I thought there was another one involving "give me a hand? No? Then how about giving me a finger" but I can't find that one.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Brian556

Concerning "subtle humour": There are many instances in shows aimed towards kids where very vulgar jokes / comments are used, that probably will not be detected by kids.

The funniest I ever saw was on Zoey 101, where Victoria Justice said: "I don't do jobs". I laughed my ass off for about 5 minutes.

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on November 14, 2013, 12:55:03 PM
The funniest I ever saw was on Zoey 101, where Victoria Justice said: "I don't do jobs". I laughed my ass off for about 5 minutes.
Sometimes a job is just a job.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

QuoteSometimes a job is just a job.

It really seemed intentional. How could anybody who knows what a "job" is not realize that many people would take it to mean that?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.