News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

"Run Runaway" was COOL!!!
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

cjk374

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 18, 2014, 06:35:48 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on October 18, 2014, 02:48:05 PM
HMMMBOP by Hanson.

Uh, no.  :thumbdown:

Dear God gag a maggot off a gut wagon!!  I had totally forgotten about that crap!!   X-(
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Laura

Quote from: cjk374 on October 19, 2014, 10:42:07 PM
HMMMBOP by Hanson.

Dear God gag a maggot off a gut wagon!!  I had totally forgotten about that crap!!   X-(

*shrug* I liked Mmmbop as a kid and still like it now because I take it for what it is - a song created by some young, creative teenagers. Now, if it were created and sung by 20 something's or Max Martin or something, that would be different. Hanson's material matured as they did. It's rather unfortunate that they are only known in the mainstream for that song.

iPhone

english si

Quote from: hbelkins on October 19, 2014, 07:44:01 PMAnd Slade had a bit of a comeback as a result of Quiet Riot doing "Cum On Feel the Noize." Anyone remember "Run Runaway?"
Slade have a comeback every Christmas.

I always thought it was a Slade song, but then Noddy Holder is a recognisable enough face and Slade a well known enough bad this side of the pond (due to appearing every Christmas).

roadman65

I hate Kirk Franklin's (the Christian artist who dances like James Brown) song called Stomp.  If I did not know better, I think he stole lines from Hanna Barbera as it reminds me of the secret code of Elroy Jetson that Jet Screamer copied at the beginning where he has the choir chanting at the start of the song.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hm insulators

Quote from: roadman on October 06, 2014, 08:46:00 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2014, 08:20:36 PM
My wife is watching Dancing with the Stars (the Nats game ended five minutes prior to her show, so no TV conflicts!) and I just heard the lyrics to "Jingle Bell Rock" and I instantly bellowed out, "I hate that fucking song!!!!"
I hate ANY Christmas song that's played before December 12th, or after January 5th.

I'll drink to that!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

hm insulators

Quote from: bugo on October 10, 2014, 04:32:00 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2014, 09:47:28 AM
One can argue the same about Rap (and today's genre name for it called R & B, although to me R & B is classic Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind, & Fire, Lionel Richie) that its music all is the same being about scoring with ladies, hating cops, and getting high.

Rap and R&B are totally different genres.

Music is like candy; you have to throw the rappers away. :D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Laura on October 20, 2014, 10:29:56 AM

HMMMBOP by Hanson.

*shrug* I liked Mmmbop as a kid and still like it now because I take it for what it is - a song created by some young, creative teenagers. Now, if it were created and sung by 20 something's or Max Martin or something, that would be different. Hanson's material matured as they did. It's rather unfortunate that they are only known in the mainstream for that song.

It's a catchy, bubble-gummy pop song.  Drove me crazy at the time, but looking at it a little more objectively now, it's almost perfect for what it is.

A catchy pop song is sort of a work of art.  Not high art, but certainly something that not everyone achieves.  I would be fine if I never heard that Barenaked Ladies sing again, but I get why it worked.

However, since we're on the MMMMs, has anyone mentioned that Crash Test Dummies "MmmMmmMmmMmm" song yet? 

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 21, 2014, 05:36:25 PM

Quote from: Laura on October 20, 2014, 10:29:56 AM

HMMMBOP by Hanson.

It's a catchy, bubble-gummy pop song.  Drove me crazy at the time, but looking at it a little more objectively now, it's almost perfect for what it is.

A catchy pop song is sort of a work of art.  Not high art, but certainly something that not everyone achieves.  I would be fine if I never heard that Barenaked Ladies sing again, but I get why it worked.

However, since we're on the MMMMs, has anyone mentioned that Crash Test Dummies "MmmMmmMmmMmm" song yet?

NOPE. Ain't happenin'! 
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

jp the roadgeek

Every time I hear "You Light up My Life", my ears burn and my Man Card spontaneously combusts.  Also went through a period where Destiny's Child's "Say My Name" would make me slam my head into a wall a few times :banghead:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

OracleUsr

That song "this is gonna be the best day of my life...my li-i-i-i-i-i-fe" sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard. 

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

mgk920

A few that will make me change the radio station as quickly as possible:

-Nena - '99 Luft balloons (99 Red Balloons)'
-Right Said Fred - 'I'm Too Sexy'
-Bruce Hornsby and the Range - 'The Way It Is'
-Men Without Hats - 'I Wanna Be A Cowboy'
-Anything by Barbara Streisand
(more titles as I think of them)

-Nearly all country newer than about 1981.  IMHO, the genre 'Jumped the Shark' with the Urban Cowboy craze of that time.  Before then, the genre was full of great sounds, styles and song writing, after it became all pre-programmed dreg.
-All vile gangsta/ghetto (c)rap.  Also stuff with too much overt sexual innuendo.
-Pretty much all headbanger, hard punk, death metal and related stuff.

BTW, when I was younger, I also cringed when I heard a Rush song as Geddy Lee's voice grated me in the same 'fingernails on a chalkboard' manner as it does some of the other respondents in this thread.  OTOH, in more recent years I have grown to appreciate it and I now find their stuff to be quite good, indeed.

Mike

bugo

"Proud To Be American" by Lee Greenwood
Any xmas music
"Good Day Sunshine" by the Beatles

roadman65

I hate a lot of sex, violence, and explicit lyrics which is why I use a feature called the dial.  You be a bit amazed at how I do not listen to the songs I hate or even commercials, political ads, or some commentators.

That is what I love about this country, as there is multiculture here and there is something for everybody!
Nobody is forcing you to pick one type of genre or even a hobby to like. 

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

I hate "Brass in Pocket" by The Pretenders. It's really fucking dumb.

I don't find it annoying, per se, but I'm always kind of disappointed when I listen to the bass line (something I find myself doing more now, as I am interested in learning bass guitar and might get one for Christmas) and it's just the same staccato note repeated over and over, then changes to a different note played over and over every couple of measures or so. Like, we get it, you know how to play eighth notes. How does it feel?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Laura

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2014, 11:05:30 AM
I hate a lot of sex, violence, and explicit lyrics which is why I use a feature called the dial.  You be a bit amazed at how I do not listen to the songs I hate or even commercials, political ads, or some commentators.

That is what I love about this country, as there is multiculture here and there is something for everybody!

I went on a music fast once for Lent (no intentionally listening to music unless it was Christian themed for 40 days) and was amazed when I realized that I didn't miss it because I was still hearing music everywhere. Almost every retail establishment plays music. There is music played when you are in the doctor's office. Music when you are put on hold on the phone. Music on public transit from someone's cell phone. Even riding with someone in their car there is usually some background music on, even if you're carrying a conversation. It's in the background at get togethers of family and friends and at community events. In TV shows and movies.

I'm always amazed at how many songs I know without actively listening to them.

iPhone

texaskdog

My wife listens to the rap station which is bad enough but that "Stay With Me" song is awful.  Also I don't care that the Fresh Prince is an actor it doesn't mean his kids have any talent. 

texaskdog

Quote from: cjk374 on October 13, 2014, 07:20:51 PM
What about "Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm" by The Crashtest Dummies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIbcqgXh5-4

I like the Crash Test Dummies but they do have the absolute worst lyrics ever written.

hbelkins

"Imagine" by John Lennon. Never liked it, never will.

Forget the lyrics, the melody itself is just depressing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Laura on November 14, 2014, 08:08:55 AM

I went on a music fast once for Lent (no intentionally listening to music unless it was Christian themed for 40 days) and was amazed when I realized that I didn't miss it because I was still hearing music everywhere. Almost every retail establishment plays music. There is music played when you are in the doctor's office. Music when you are put on hold on the phone. Music on public transit from someone's cell phone. Even riding with someone in their car there is usually some background music on, even if you're carrying a conversation. It's in the background at get togethers of family and friends and at community events. In TV shows and movies.

Under such restrictions do you get to listen to religious bands no one really knows are religious like Sixpence None the Richer, Pedro the Lion, or Danielson Famile?

bugo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 14, 2014, 05:30:28 PM

Under such restrictions do you get to listen to religious bands no one really knows are religious like Sixpence None the Richer, Pedro the Lion, or Danielson Famile?

Or what about Satanic music? Satan is part of the Christian mythology and it could be argued that Satanic music is Christian music.

Laura

Quote from: bugo on November 14, 2014, 11:50:18 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 14, 2014, 05:30:28 PM

Or what about Satanic music? Satan is part of the Christian mythology and it could be argued that Satanic music is Christian music.

I haven't heard of the last two, but I definitely listened to songs from Sixpence None the Richer during that time!

As for Satanic music, I don't think I listen to any such music anyway, so it's a moot point. Unless you're thinking of the type of Christians who think any kind of fantasy novels or role playing games are Satanic, lol, then I guess I do. I kept the fast to just songs themed about God. It was actually fun because I spent time listening to stuff that I don't usually, like bluegrass hymns and full choir gospel music.

iPhone

roadman65

Oh, for those of you who wondered about that falsetto artist  I mentioned here and months ago on another trying to point what song it was I was trying to let you know about it is this artist here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Tresvant and the song was called Cool It Down as part of the New Edition.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on November 17, 2014, 04:46:06 PM
Oh, for those of you who wondered about that falsetto artist  I mentioned here and months ago on another trying to point what song it was I was trying to let you know about it is this artist here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Tresvant and the song was called Cool It Down as part of the New Edition.

You mean the ultra-hit "Cool It Now"?  That's not falsetto, that's kids not done with puberty.

Molandfreak

Anything by The Bangles. Vicki Peterson's voice sounds like a whiny toddler. :-P
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.