News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

Started by roadman, October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman on January 20, 2017, 09:31:56 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 20, 2017, 01:15:05 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on January 17, 2017, 11:14:39 PM
I just dont understand how Cape Cod folks have the notion thar overhead freeway exit signs detract from historic charm... It's not like they are a legacy from colonial days.. Its a mid 20th century road..

Why not have newer easier to read signs? It would help tourism I would think. Having older outdated signage detracts from an area in my mind... 

LGMS428
Tourists on the Cape act like they've forgotten how to drive.  Why can't the Cape Cod Commission invest in Cuomo signs?

MassDOT does not permit the installation of LOGO service signs on highways east of the Cape Cod Canal because of long standing objections from the Cape Cod Commission.  I could only imagine the reaction of the Commission (picture heads exploding) if they started installing Cuomo-type signs on US 6 and Route 24.
My God its not like giant "South of the Border" Pedro style billboards!

Why not mandate carved wooden sign posts or at the most 1930s style signs

I can appreciate aesthetics. But there are plenty of high end and/or historic resort areas in this country that have modern traffic signs on the main highways.  And it does not detract from the natural beauty of a place, its a freeway.  Get over yourselves Cape Cod

LGMS428

abqtraveler

Quote from: jwolfer on January 20, 2017, 12:18:35 PM
I just dont understand how Cape Cod folks have the notion thar overhead freeway exit signs detract from historic charm... It's not like they are a legacy from colonial days.. Its a mid 20th century road..

Why not have newer easier to read signs? It would help tourism I would think. Having older outdated signage detracts from an area in my mind... 

LGMS428
Tourists on the Cape act like they've forgotten how to drive.  Why can't the Cape Cod Commission invest in Cuomo signs?

MassDOT does not permit the installation of LOGO service signs on highways east of the Cape Cod Canal because of long standing objections from the Cape Cod Commission.  I could only imagine the reaction of the Commission (picture heads exploding) if they started installing Cuomo-type signs on US 6 and Route 24.

I can appreciate aesthetics. But there are plenty of high end and/or historic resort areas in this country that have modern traffic signs on the main highways.  And it does not detract from the natural beauty of a place, its a freeway.  Get over yourselves Cape Cod

LGMS428

I can sum up in two words how resistance to exit renumbering on Cape Cod can halt the project statewide:  The Kennedys.  As I recall, Cape Cod and the Islands is home turf for the Kennedys, and as far as I know, they still run the show in the Commonwealth. 
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

PHLBOS

Quote from: abqtraveler on January 31, 2017, 07:26:27 AMI can sum up in two words how resistance to exit renumbering on Cape Cod can halt the project statewide:  The Kennedys.  As I recall, Cape Cod and the Islands is home turf for the Kennedys, and as far as I know, they still run the show in the Commonwealth.
At present, there's only one Kennedy serving government in Massachusetts and that's U.S. Rep. Joseph Kennedy III and his district is the 4th Congressional District (see below-graphic):

As one can see, his district does not include Cape Cod.  While it's true that the Cape has been the summer home for many a Kennedy; the current generation of Kennedys today may not have as much clout as the previous generations (Jack, Bobby & Teddy) did.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SectorZ

Quote from: abqtraveler on January 31, 2017, 07:26:27 AM

LGMS428

LGMS428

I can sum up in two words how resistance to exit renumbering on Cape Cod can halt the project statewide:  The Kennedys.  As I recall, Cape Cod and the Islands is home turf for the Kennedys, and as far as I know, they still run the show in the Commonwealth.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/01/cops_3_used_shriver_home_on_cape_cod_to_sell_fentanyl

Still running something on the Cape at least.

jwolfer

abqtraveler

Quote from: SectorZ on January 31, 2017, 04:03:02 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on January 31, 2017, 07:26:27 AM

LGMS428

LGMS428

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/01/cops_3_used_shriver_home_on_cape_cod_to_sell_fentanyl

Still running something on the Cape at least.

I rest my case...
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

spooky

Yes, because drug dealers are running fentanyl out of the Shriver home, the Kennedys keep signs ground mounted and sequential on the Cape. Logic seems sound!

The Ghostbuster

Now that Massachusetts' exit renumbering plan is suspended indefinitely, it appears the next sequential-to-milepost state will be Rhode Island.

vdeane

Last I heard, at this point nobody's even sure if RI's project is still on.  It was supposed to have started already.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: spooky on February 01, 2017, 09:44:58 AM
Yes, because drug dealers are running fentanyl out of the Shriver home, the Kennedys keep signs ground mounted and sequential on the Cape. Logic seems sound!
Barnstable County really does have a heroin problem, though.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on February 01, 2017, 10:13:53 PM
Last I heard, at this point nobody's even sure if RI's project is still on.  It was supposed to have started already.

They're too busy putting up the gantries for truck tolls.  If it were CT, it would need 10 more EIS's before hitting the planning stage.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on January 18, 2017, 03:43:02 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 18, 2017, 11:40:16 AM
Is the contract to replace the signs in the Big Dig tunnels, due to have a winning bid announced in February, still on track? Will that be completed by the end of 2017?
Bids on this project are scheduled to be opened on Tuesday, February 28th.  Note that this is not a complete sign replacement project, but an emergency repair project to change out only those signs that are damaged by vehicles hitting them.  This is the re-advertisement of an earlier project where the sole bid was ultimately rejected due to excessive price.
Looks like the lowest bidder was Liddell Bros. again. Their bid ($796,566) though is still much higher than the MassDOT estimate ($594,108). Will MassDOT accept this and move on, or put the contract out for bids again?

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on March 04, 2017, 11:33:31 AM
Is the contract to replace the signs in the Big Dig tunnels, due to have a winning bid announced in February, still on track? Will that be completed by the end of 2017?
Bids on this project are scheduled to be opened on Tuesday, February 28th.  Note that this is not a complete sign replacement project, but an emergency repair project to change out only those signs that are damaged by vehicles hitting them.  This is the re-advertisement of an earlier project where the sole bid was ultimately rejected due to excessive price.
Looks like the lowest bidder was Liddell Bros. again. Their bid ($796,566) though is still much higher than the MassDOT estimate ($594,108). Will MassDOT accept this and move on, or put the contract out for bids again?
I wonder if MassDOT or contractor, whoever prepared the estimate, understands that all special equipment needs to be located and rented for this work given the limited overhead space and lack of shoulders for staging.

Rothman

That would still be in the acceptable range in NY, I believe.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

Although Liddell's bid was about 38% higher than the office estimate, it's my understanding that the bid will be accepted, pending a review to verify the accuracy of the bid quantities.  For whatever reason, District 6 seems to have a habit of low-balling estimates for NFA contracts within the Artery/Tunnel complex (old Metropolitan Highway System).

QuoteI wonder if MassDOT or contractor, whoever prepared the estimate, understands that all special equipment needs to be located and rented for this work given the limited overhead space and lack of shoulders for staging.

Between March and November, MassDOT routinely has full overnight I-93 tunnel shutdowns for various maintenance and repair activities.  With the exception of emergency sign removal due to vehicle strike, most of these overhead sign replacements are scheduled to happen during these full shutdowns.  As such, the unique requirements under this contract are not so much for special staging equipment, but for special supports and attachment hardware - note that the sign supports are suspended from the tunnel ceiling, and as such are a custom design.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

The Massachusetts Legislature is getting into the act again - they've refiled a bill mandating milepost exit numbers on all Interstate highways within Massachusetts.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/190/H1863
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kalvado

Quote from: roadman on March 13, 2017, 12:31:59 PM
The Massachusetts Legislature is getting into the act again - they've refiled a bill mandating milepost exit numbers on all Interstate highways within Massachusetts.

Did they bother to edit the previous text before submission?
Quote(e) The mileage-based exit numbering system shall be completed on or before January 1, 2017

PHLBOS

Quote from: kalvado on March 13, 2017, 12:37:30 PM
Quote from: roadman on March 13, 2017, 12:31:59 PM

Did they bother to edit the previous text before submission?
Quote(e) The mileage-based exit numbering system shall be completed on or before January 1, 2017
Somebody did an Oops:sombrero:

Do note that this new bill (as written) only involves Interstates.  Should this bill pass & the governor signs it; non-Interstates would not undergo the change.  Maybe such was drafted to appease those who live near/along the Mid-Cape Highway (US 6).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 13, 2017, 01:09:16 PM

Do note that this new bill (as written) only involves Interstates.  Should this bill pass & the governor signs it; non-Interstates would not undergo the change.  Maybe such was drafted to appease those who live near/along the Mid-Cape Highway (US 6).
Foot in the door?

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 13, 2017, 01:09:16 PM

The original bill, which predated the Mid-Cape Highway controversy, also restricted the re-numbering to Interstate highways only.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on March 13, 2017, 02:57:27 PMThe original bill, which predated the Mid-Cape Highway controversy, also restricted the re-numbering to Interstate highways only.
Either way, the re-introduction of the bill sounds like a case of if at first you don't succeed; try, try again.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 13, 2017, 05:31:04 PM
Quote from: roadman on March 13, 2017, 02:57:27 PMThe original bill, which predated the Mid-Cape Highway controversy, also restricted the re-numbering to Interstate highways only.
Either way, the re-introduction of the bill sounds like a case of if at first you don't succeed; try, try again.
The last bill died in committee. I don't see this getting any further, unless more legislators sign on.

IMHO if the main reason to adopt milepost base numbering is to make it easier for drivers, especially unfamiliar ones, to judge distances when navigating a state's highways, then just changing numbers on interstates it seems would only lead to more confusion lessening any benefit the conversion might have. If the Cape people really want to keep their numbers, then have the legislation exempt US 6, but allow all other routes to be changed.

Duke87

Quote from: bob7374 on March 13, 2017, 05:56:31 PM
IMHO if the main reason to adopt milepost base numbering is to make it easier for drivers, especially unfamiliar ones, to judge distances when navigating a state's highways

The main reason is to comply with a federal mandate. If not for said mandate this wouldn't even be under consideration.

The real question is, is FHWA going to start playing hardball about this at any point? I'm guessing they certainly won't under the current administration. Indeed it seems as of right now the immediate future holds the MUTCD being left to languish unenforced and unupdated.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

IMHO if the main reason to adopt milepost base numbering is to make it easier for drivers, especially unfamiliar ones, to judge distances when navigating a state's highways, then just changing numbers on interstates it seems would only lead to more confusion lessening any benefit the conversion might have. If the Cape people really want to keep their numbers, then have the legislation exempt US 6, but allow all other routes to be changed.

I recently drove up I-395 in CT the recently changed exit numbers and because I was unfamiliar with the mileage distance to my exit....it wasn't really that useful to me.  I knew the old exit number but not the exact mileage of my exit.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

machias

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 13, 2017, 07:23:19 PM

I recently drove up I-395 in CT the recently changed exit numbers and because I was unfamiliar with the mileage distance to my exit....it wasn't really that useful to me.  I knew the old exit number but not the exact mileage of my exit.

Looking at the closest milepost, knowing the exit number, do a little subtraction and voila! you know how far it is to the exit you're looking for.  Knowing you need to go "3 exits" or whatever could be 2 miles, 10 miles or 50 miles. Check your gas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.