News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Historic flooding in Louisiana - March 2016

Started by bassoon1986, March 15, 2016, 10:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

I'm sure you have all seen pictures and videos across the news of the major flooding happening in Louisiana over the past week. (This is not to rule out other Southern states; I've seen much of the same in parts of east Texas and southern Mississippi, but Louisiana has been affected statewide). I think as of right now, all of Louisiana has been declared a state of emergency, and 7 parishes have already received federal assistance with more to come.

Travel-wise, northern Louisiana became mostly blocked off by the end of last week. Many major and minor cities were inaccessible from all sides due to floodwaters, mainly Shreveport, Ruston, and Monroe. The ever-changing updates to road closures was staggering. Even now since the rain has stopped, road closures are happening further south as major rivers and bodies of water collect from all of the flooded tributaries and streams. Many bridges on state highways have been washed out. Southeastern Louisiana had a later storm that has since crippled that part of the state as well. At one point, the outer lanes of I-12 near Hammond were flooding and detours were suggesting travelers to detour through New Orleans on I-10. This must be a first, when travelers are urged to escape floodwaters by detouring through a dry New Orleans!

There are many past news clips and pictures I could post but now I wanted to focus on southwestern Louisiana, as the call was just made to close I-10 at the LA/TX border. At this point there aren't many great detours for such a major highway because the next 3 bridges across the Sabine River headed north are all submerged: LA/TX 12 near Deweyville, TX, US 190 near Merryville, LA, and LA 8/TX 63 near Burr Ferry.

http://www.katc.com/story/31471066/breaking-i-10-closed-at-texaslouisiana-border?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KATC-TV_3:_Acadiana_s_Newschannel

http://www.wfaa.com/traffic/high-water-shuts-down-i-10-at-louisiana-border/83481213

longhorn

What's the condition of the "Star" rest stop on I-10 at the border?

Chris

Apparently traffic can still cross the Sabine River south of Port Arthur, using Highways 82 and 27. Of course, this is a simple two-lane road, and not really suitable as a detour for a major Interstate Highway, but for traffic within the region (Beaumont to Lake Charles) it's much less of a detour than to use the recommended detour via I-20.

bassoon1986

This link has a few photos taken this morning. The star isn't visible but flooding has risen to the rest area buildings.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Flooding-forces-I-10-closure-6890618.php#photo-9607157

longhorn

wxfree

LADOTD has closed I-10's westbound lanes.  Eastbound lanes are still open.  US 190 has reopened as river levels there are falling.  The crest is expected to cross I-10 in the next 2 days, so the eastbound lanes may close later.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

oscar

I crossed into Louisiana on I-10 about 1:30pm this afternoon (3/15), after the articles posted upthread indicated that the Sabine River bridge was closed completely. I saw westbound traffic moving on the Texas side of the bridge, though I'm not positive I saw westbound traffic on the bridge itself rather than just entering I-10 WB from one of the Texas interchanges near the bridge.

The closed rest area, and weigh station, just east of the bridge on the Louisiana side were both completely submerged.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bassoon1986

Wow, then Drive Texas and LA DOTD haven't updated anything. Everything they've been saying, even today, is that Both directions of I-10 are still closed. And US 190 or I-20 is the detour.

apjung

The Ghostbuster

I saw the floods on WeatherNation. It looks pretty bad down south.

brownpelican

Luckily they haven't closed I-10 or I-59 at the Mississippi border, though it came very close to that.

US71

Quote from: brownpelican on March 17, 2016, 11:35:18 PM
Luckily they haven't closed I-10 or I-59 at the Mississippi border, though it came very close to that.

I-10 at the Sabine River is likely to be closed up to a week.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wxfree

After some damage repairs, I-10 at the Sabine River is open again.  I would expect that temporary emergency repairs have been made, which would necessitate proper repairs later.  Traffic is moving again, but may be obstructed for more work later.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

US71

Quote from: wxfree on March 18, 2016, 09:20:35 PM
After some damage repairs, I-10 at the Sabine River is open again.  I would expect that temporary emergency repairs have been made, which would necessitate proper repairs later.  Traffic is moving again, but may be obstructed for more work later.
Look like TX 63/LA 8 will be closed for about a month for repairs.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.