News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

I found an NCDOT proposal of the full bypass, and compared it with NE2's link. Looks like NC 44's going to be with us for a little while.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CanesFan27

It's a good 5-7 years at a minimum before the entire bypass is open.  It is being built in three stages...the next stage will continue East and rejoin the existing US 70 near LaGrange.  This is currently out to bid and it appears will be awarded next spring.  This is the most lengthy part (nearly 11 miles) as it combines segments BB and C.  I could see US 70 being routed on the bypass and down 795 to the existing US 70 at that point.

The final stage goes west from 795 to current US 70 somewhere near NC 581.

Here's an NCDOT schematic of the bypass.

http://www.ncdot.org/planning/development/tip/prbmaps/maps/R2554.pdf

CanesFan27

The rebirth of NC 44 is official.  The new road opened sometime this morning.  Drove it about an hour ago, and will have photos and such up over the weekend.

One thing that was interesting, first time I saw California style "Freeway Entrance" signs - at the US 117 ramps to get onto the new freeway.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 16, 2011, 12:52:24 PM
The rebirth of NC 44 is official.  The new road opened sometime this morning.  Drove it about an hour ago, and will have photos and such up over the weekend.

One thing that was interesting, first time I saw California style "Freeway Entrance" signs - at the US 117 ramps to get onto the new freeway.

Curious, but do the exits have exit numbers?

CanesFan27

Yes they have exit numbers based off of US 70's mileage

CanesFan27

J N Winkler

Interesting article about NCDOT's problems with the new Davis-Bacon prevailing wage determination for North Carolina:

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/16744617/article-Wage-dispute-delays-bids-on-I-40-bridge?instance=homefirstleft

This dispute has already resulted in two monthly lettings being rolled over.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

goobnav

Durham has some of highest taxes in NC and some of the worst roads.  This is what happens when crooked politicans are given the task of building roads.  85 took the better part of a decade to reconstruct but 40 near Raleigh only took about 3 years.

I live only a mile or two from where they plan the bridge.  It'll take them 5 years to build it.  A job that normal would take 2, all because contractors get kickbacks from their buddies in NCDOT.

Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

cpzilliacus

State works on N.C. 12 plans

QuoteEnvironmental regulators meeting Thursday in Raleigh ruled out some of the state Department of Transportation's ideas for protecting N.C. 12 from storm damage, but they agreed to consider elevating parts of the Outer Banks road on long bridges.

QuoteConcerned about harm to the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge south of the N.C. 12 bridge over Oregon Inlet, the state and federal agencies vetoed options to protect the highway with heavy beach renourishment and dune construction.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CanesFan27

Just a quick note from a trip last night to Fayetteville.  Construction to extend I-295 west of US 401 towards base is underway.  Clearing is being done west of the US 401/Future 295 interchange and a crane is in place for early work to build the bridge carrying I-295 over 401.

Here are the two most recent articles on the Outer loop:
http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011/11/23/1137855?sac=Local
http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011/11/17/1138004?sac=Local

cpzilliacus

News and Observer: I-95 upgrade plans unfold

[Emphasis added below]

QuoteThe Department of Transportation says it wants to get moving on improvements to Interstate 95, starting in 2016 with a project to add lanes along 60 busy miles between Interstate 40 in Johnston County south to Lumberton. The state expects to join Virginia in winning federal permission to pay for I-95 improvements by collecting tolls. A long-range plan is estimated to cost $4.4 billion.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

goobnav

This is only the beginning, I see more potential for this, I-85 will probably be the next cadidate.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 27, 2012, 05:15:45 PM
News and Observer: I-95 upgrade plans unfold

[Emphasis added below]

QuoteThe Department of Transportation says it wants to get moving on improvements to Interstate 95, starting in 2016 with a project to add lanes along 60 busy miles between Interstate 40 in Johnston County south to Lumberton. The state expects to join Virginia in winning federal permission to pay for I-95 improvements by collecting tolls. A long-range plan is estimated to cost $4.4 billion.

froggie

Not unless/until Congress expands the pilot project allowing it.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 17, 2010, 10:53:54 PM
When the Southwestern corner of Interstate 485 in Mecklenburg County was opened in October 2004, some wondered what was going on with the unbuilt interchange between Wilkinson Blvd (US 29/74 - Exit 9) and NC 160 (Exit 4).

The diamond interchange with Garrison Road was clearly graded, but there was no asphalt, no concrete, no signs, nothing.  Well six years after the six lane I-485 was opened to traffic, there's construction activity going on at this 'ghost interchange'.

NCDOT has recently awarded a $1.2 contract to Boggs Paving to complete the grade work and pave the interchange ramps for what will be Exit 6 or 7.  The new interchange which will give additional access to Charlotte-Douglas International Airport will be a 'ghost' no more in June 2011.

Story: http://mecktimes.com/news/2010/11/01/work-begins-on-i-485garrison-road-interchange/

And that interchange is now opened.  Couldn't find a single news article that mentioned the opening of the new interchange.  However, I did find two other forums that mention the interchange opened.  Seems it opened in near the end of July '11.
http://www.steelecreekresidents.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/852831-i-485-mystery-exit-near-berewick.html

Henry

They say that the Tar Heel State is king when it comes to strange-looking interchanges! With the coming diverging diamonds, I-77 in the Charlotte area alone will just add on to its myriad of unusual exits, joining the already-existing ones for I-85 and I-277 on both ends.

Also, what's the progress on that I-85/I-485 interchange on the northeast side?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

goobnav

Quote from: Henry on February 09, 2012, 09:56:24 AM
They say that the Tar Heel State is king when it comes to strange-looking interchanges! With the coming diverging diamonds, I-77 in the Charlotte area alone will just add on to its myriad of unusual exits, joining the already-existing ones for I-85 and I-277 on both ends.

Here is a link to the NCDOT site:

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/charlotteouterloop/

They are saying 2014 for the 485/85 completion

cpzilliacus

More on possible I-95 tolls from WRAL-TV 5: NCDOT considering tolls for I-95; public feedback encouraged

Video report from WRAL here.

Post Merge: February 09, 2012, 05:06:36 PM

Quote from: froggie on January 31, 2012, 10:57:22 AM
Not unless/until Congress expands the pilot project allowing it.

As understand it, there are "slots" still available for states wanting to impose tolls "free" Interstates, and North Carolina is making application to use one of them.

froggie

I'm aware of that.  I was replying to the comment goobnav made about I-85 being "the next candidate".  Unless/until Congress expands the program, the limit is 1 per state and 3 total...Virginia (I-95) and Missouri (I-70) already have 2 of the 3 slots taken.

goobnav

Froggie,

VA is also working on getting 85 tolled at the border going North from NC to VA.

Here is a link:

http://nbc12.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/mcdonnell-unveils-plans-to-toll-i-95/

Henry

Quote from: goobnav on February 09, 2012, 01:43:07 PM
Quote from: Henry on February 09, 2012, 09:56:24 AM

Here is a link to the NCDOT site:

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/charlotteouterloop/

They are saying 2014 for the 485/85 completion
Just saw one of the videos tracing the final route of I-485. At the end of the video, there's a stack interchange at I-85, but now that junction will become a turbine instead, correct?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

QuoteFroggie,

VA is also working on getting 85 tolled at the border going North from NC to VA.

However, the application VDOT submitted is only for I-95, as current Federal law prohibits Virginia from applying for 2 interstates.  This is why they dropped the plan to toll I-81 so they could shift that "slot" to I-95.

NE2

Logically they should be allowed to submit I-85 and I-95 north of I-85 as one continuous route. But politics isn't logical.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Can they bring back the tolls they once had on the Turnpike? :P

Takumi

I-85 at the VA/NC border would be pretty easy to shunpike, with the northernmost NC exit (US 1/401) less than a mile from the border.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

goobnav

Quote from: Takumi on February 09, 2012, 11:58:33 PM
I-85 at the VA/NC border would be pretty easy to shunpike, with the northernmost NC exit (US 1/401) less than a mile from the border.

Agreed.  There is also 903 that is not too far from there and takes you right back to VA or NC.  A little circuitious but another alternative.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.