News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mileage Mike

Looks like Apple Maps has updated and shows 485 as completed around Charlotte.  Hope people don't run into the 'Road Closed' signs trying to follow its directions.

Strider

I saw that on my iPhone too! I-485 isn't completed yet.. there are still a few tweaks to do before it opens later this summer. Apple must be crazy.

tarcanes92

Quote from: Strider on May 08, 2015, 01:29:20 PM
I saw that on my iPhone too! I-485 isn't completed yet.. there are still a few tweaks to do before it opens later this summer. Apple must be crazy.

Guess apple didn't get the updated memo.  But then again, there have been way to many updated memos for this section.  First, it was suppose to be done in Dec 2014, then spring 2015, and now it is summer 2015.   

bob7374

NCDOT announces start of project to bring far northern section of I-85 up to current interstate standards:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=11124

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on May 12, 2015, 10:03:22 AM
NCDOT announces start of project to bring far northern section of I-85 up to current interstate standards:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=11124

Good news: NCDOT is finally fixing the horrible section of I-85 between Henderson and the Virginia line. This road dates from the early 1960s.

Bad news: The project will take five years to complete.

1995hoo

Quote from: Thing 342 on April 20, 2015, 11:13:15 AM
Easy solution: make the road free for those with NC plates.

That raises potential constitutional problems under the Dormant Commerce Clause because the state would be discriminating against interstate (lowercase "i") commerce.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NJRoadfan

Hopefully those I-85 repairs include a bump to 70mph limits, although that road doesn't really appear all that substandard to me.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 12, 2015, 03:22:53 PM
Hopefully those I-85 repairs include a bump to 70mph limits, although that road doesn't really appear all that substandard to me.

Yes, it is substandard.  Typically, when they get it to current standards they bump up to 70mph.  For example, the widen section of I-485 around Pineville has covered 70 mph signs... just waiting for the construction to finish.

Henry

Seems to me that opposition to I-77 toll lanes is still going strong, and alternatives to widen the road are still floating around:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article20778747.html
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mileage Mike

I-485 set to open June 5th at Noon.

Henry

Quote from: Cemajr on May 13, 2015, 12:57:58 PM
I-485 set to open June 5th at Noon.
I've already had that date marked! :)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Congress.gov has posted the text for the proposed ROAD Act of 2015, which would amend HPC 13 to expressly include Rocky Mount, Williamston, and Elizabeth City, North Carolina as part of the route, and would officially designate the corridor as a future interstate:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the "Route to Opportunity And Development Act of 2015"  or the "ROAD Act of 2015" .

SEC. 2. HIGH PRIORITY CORRIDORS ON NATIONAL HIGHWAY SYSTEM.

(a) In general.–Section 1105(c) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 is amended by striking paragraph (13) and inserting the following:

"(13) Raleigh-Norfolk Corridor from Raleigh, North Carolina, through Rocky Mount, Williamston, and Elizabeth City, North Carolina, to Norfolk, Virginia." .

(b) Inclusion of certain route segments on interstate system.–Section 1105(e)(5)(A) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 is amended by inserting "subsection (c)(13),"  after "subsection (c)(9)," .

The current language of paragraph (13) can be found here.

WashuOtaku

NCDOT announced today that they have reached the financial close on the I-77 toll lanes with I-77 Mobility Partners. 

Press Release:  https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=11161

Local Paper: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article21484476.html

This whole process has given NCDOT a black eye on how they have not been very forthcoming on the contract changes last year promising no additional improvements for I-77 for the duration of the contract (50 years); which means that if more lanes were needed to ease traffic, they either could not or would compensate I-77 Mobility Partners of loss revenue.  This caused all the towns along I-77 and Mecklenburg County requesting a delay in the process, which NCDOT refused.

My personal take, any other possible public-private partnership that is suggested will have to deal with the bad blood started here.  I-77 south of Center City is planned to add toll lanes after 2020 and likely another public-private candidate... it will be interesting how that turns out.  Other toll lanes being constructed (US 74, I-485) and toll roads are own wholly by NCDOT, so possible future improvements would not be hindered.

froggie

NCDOT didn't learn from VDOT's mistakes.  'Course, given who controls the legislature and the governor's office, I'm not surprised.

NJRoadfan

Why would NC be messing around with a private-public concession when they already have a toll road division all setup? Is the toll road bond market that lousy?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 20, 2015, 10:25:29 PM
Why would NC be messing around with a private-public concession when they already have a toll road division all setup? Is the toll road bond market that lousy?

In 2013, the legislators made changes to the Authority allowing them to have up to three public/private agreements. The I-77 Managed Lanes Project in Charlotte is the first.  Will they do two more after this, dunno.

Mileage Mike

Drove through Eastern NC over the weekend.  Looks like NC 24 is being upgraded to a four-lane divided highway between Fayetteville and Clinton.

wdcrft63

Google now has satellite views of the I-140 segment between US 17 and US 74/76, and of the construction zone to northeast.
https://goo.gl/maps/vW2qR

Third Strike

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 20, 2015, 10:40:47 PM

In 2013, the legislators made changes to the Authority allowing them to have up to three public/private agreements. The I-77 Managed Lanes Project in Charlotte is the first.  Will they do two more after this, dunno.

I'm willing to bet that I-77 in South Charlotte will be the second.

Also, construction on the US 74 Monroe Bypass has begun.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=11192

Mileage Mike

Quote from: Third Strike on May 28, 2015, 05:35:03 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 20, 2015, 10:40:47 PM

I'm willing to bet that I-77 in South Charlotte will be the second.

Also, construction on the US 74 Monroe Bypass has begun.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=11192

Finally.  That Monroe Bypass is desperately needed.

wdcrft63

Things aren't looking so good for the Governor's proposed transportation bond issue:
http://www.wral.com/top-legislative-leaders-cast-doubt-on-transportation-bonds/14684933/

Gnutella

Has I-85 been widened between Kannapolis and High Point? I remember a segment of it was still four lanes back in 2009, and it stuck out like a sore thumb because it was the only four-lane segment between Durham and Gastonia.

The Nature Boy

They really need to widen I-95. I've been stuck in traffic in some really rural areas, it's bad.

And by "they," I mean NC, SC and Virginia. I-95 should probably never be a two-lane road given its high traffic volume.

froggie

QuoteI've been stuck in traffic in some really rural areas, it's bad.

How slow were you going?  I've been stuck in plenty of traffic on I-95 but we were still going at or close to the speed limit.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: Gnutella on June 03, 2015, 06:29:40 AM
Has I-85 been widened between Kannapolis and High Point? I remember a segment of it was still four lanes back in 2009, and it stuck out like a sore thumb because it was the only four-lane segment between Durham and Gastonia.

It's been mostly widened.  The only part that's still 4 lanes is between Exit 55 and Exit 68 around Kannapolis.  They're already widening that segment right now and redesigning some of the interchanges.  I think it's supposed to be complete late 2016.  Then the only parts of 85 remaining that will be 4 lanes will be north of Durham and the segment near the SC border.

Quote from: The Nature Boy on June 03, 2015, 07:52:45 AM
They really need to widen I-95. I've been stuck in traffic in some really rural areas, it's bad.

And by "they," I mean NC, SC and Virginia. I-95 should probably never be a two-lane road given its high traffic volume.

They really do but with the tolling option shot down who knows if it will ever get widened in our lifetimes now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.