News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 08, 2016, 02:35:53 PM
Thank you, I will scope that out.  Just an FYI, there has been HUGE surveying activity on I-40 between at least exit 116 (where I exit to go home from my new job) and exit 125 where a 6 lane section from the east and Conover ends.  With a massive EB traffic jam Sunday for a minimum of 8 miles or more Sunday evening with tourists coming back from Asheville, and improvement out here will be big.

OT, Damm the economy here is sooooo much better than in California.

This project (I-0911) was added to the STIP last fall on a hurry-up basis with construction to start in fiscal 2017-18. I believe this explains the sudden surveying activity.

LM117

I noticed on the Raleigh RTA's website and the News & Observer that US-1 from I-540 north to NC-98/Durham Road in Wake Forest is slated to be upgraded to a freeway.

http://letsgetmoving.org/priorities/streets/us-1-north/

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/article10182638.html

Quote- Convert Raleigh's Capital Boulevard (U.S. 1) to a freeway between the northern 540 Outer Loop and N.C. 98 at Wake Forest. A freeway conversion also is planned for South Miami Boulevard between T.W. Alexander Drive and Lynn Road in Durham. Other clogged intersections in Durham and Wake counties will be upgraded to freeway-style interchanges.

I doubt the US-1 freeway would end at NC-98 in Wake Forest permanently. I think it's likely that NCDOT will want to extend the freeway conversion to I-85 in Henderson eventually. If they do, does anybody wanna guess the odds that NCDOT will ask AASHTO and FHWA to turn US-1 between I-540 and I-85 into I-685?  :poke:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

mvak36

Quote from: LM117 on June 14, 2016, 04:38:32 PM

I doubt the US-1 freeway would end at NC-98 in Wake Forest permanently. I think it's likely that NCDOT will want to extend the freeway conversion to I-85 in Henderson eventually. If they do, does anybody wanna guess the odds that NCDOT will ask AASHTO and FHWA to turn US-1 between I-540 and I-85 into I-685?  :poke:

100%?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

froggie

Let's see them get it done first.  There's *A LOT* of bulldozing that would be involved along North Capital.

NJRoadfan

You'd think they would have at least done some corridor preservation if that was the long term plan. All they keep doing is adding lights in northern Wake to US-1 and now its spreading into Franklin County.

ARMOURERERIC

I want to thank you for the link to the state's planned road improvements.  I saw some very aggressive projects on a "4.0" list.  Some seemed a bit overkill like widening US 64 to 4 lanes divided from Morganton to Lenoir, but I can see that being needed in 15 years.  As part of what I mentioned upthread, lots more surveying at the Icard exit, where I enter and exit 40 for my work commute.  The 40 ramps are part of a 5 way intersection wherin a busy access road serving 3 fast food establishements and the local PO also make up a leg.  I would look forward to any improvement allowing Miller Bridge Road a more free flowing entrance onto 40.  One other item that throgh me for a loop were upgrades to Causby Road, Exit 96, while not listing the much more substandard and busier Jamestown Road, Exit 100.  I think it may be political:  Seems like there is a Causby business in every commercial segment around here plus the mayor of Glen alpine seems to have an unusual amount of pull in Raleigh.

Now that I am aware of the Hickory MPO, I will endeavor to attend meetings and push for a small local project that is part of my daily commute:  NC 18 and Sugarloaf Road is a disaster waiting to happen and could use at minimum a realignment.

The Nature Boy

Would you save much drive time from Raleigh to DC if you make US 1 a freeway up through the I-85 intersection in Henderson? Connecting Raleigh to Richmond and DC in a more direct manner than US 64/I-95 might be worthwhile but I'm not sure if you save much time by doing so.

jwolfer

I noticed on the Raleigh RTA's website and the News & Observer that US-1 from I-540 north to NC-98/Durham Road in Wake Forest is slated to be upgraded to a freeway.

Quote- Convert Raleigh's Capital Boulevard (U.S. 1) to a freeway between the northern 540 Outer Loop and N.C. 98 at Wake Forest. A freeway conversion also is planned for South Miami Boulevard between T.W. Alexander Drive and Lynn Road in Durham. Other clogged intersections in Durham and Wake counties will be upgraded to freeway-style interchanges.

How I-38? It would fit right in with a mostly east-west I-87

bob7374

Quote from: jwolfer on June 14, 2016, 11:08:03 PM

Three projects to upgrade US 1 to a freeway between I-540 and NC 98 are listed in the table of preliminary projects eligible to be included in the 2018-2027 STIP. They all have relatively high project scores (between 60 and 70/100 for State Mobility and 49-50/70 for Regional Mobility) that would increase the odds they make it into, at least, the Draft STIP due out in January. The downside may be the cost which is estimated to be about $375 million.

LM117

Quote from: The Nature Boy on June 14, 2016, 10:15:40 PM
Would you save much drive time from Raleigh to DC if you make US 1 a freeway up through the I-85 intersection in Henderson? Connecting Raleigh to Richmond and DC in a more direct manner than US 64/I-95 might be worthwhile but I'm not sure if you save much time by doing so.

According to Google Maps, from the center of Raleigh to the center of Richmond using US-1/I-85 is 155 miles. Using US-64/I-95 is 170 miles. Right now, US-64/I-95 would be the better option since there are no traffic lights once you get on US-64. US-1 still has traffic lights, so the drive time wouldn't be better than US-64/I-95 even though it's 15 miles shorter. If US-1 was upgraded between I-540 and I-85, then US-1/I-85 would be a time-saver. When I-495 came about, I never really bought the argument that it would connect Raleigh to the northeast (other than east and southeast Raleigh, which is better served by US-64/I-95) when upgrading US-1 would do a better job at that. Upgrading US-64 to connect to Hampton Roads is a more logical argument for that route. If NCDOT actually does decide to upgrade US-1 all the way to I-85, I wouldn't be opposed to I-685 if NCDOT decides to go for it. All of the other even-numbered I-x85's are already taken.

LM117

Quote from: jwolfer on June 14, 2016, 11:08:03 PM

74/171FAN

Quote from: LM117 on June 15, 2016, 03:37:10 AM

According to Google Maps, from the center of Raleigh to the center of Richmond using US-1/I-85 is 155 miles. Using US-64/I-95 is 170 miles. Right now, US-64/I-95 would be the better option since there are no traffic lights once you get on US-64. US-1 still has traffic lights, so the drive time wouldn't be better than US-64/I-95 even though it's 15 miles shorter. If US-1 was upgraded between I-540 and I-85, then US-1/I-85 would be a time-saver. When I-495 came about, I never really bought the argument that it would connect Raleigh to the northeast (other than east and southeast Raleigh, which is better served by US-64/I-95) when upgrading US-1 would do a better job at that. Upgrading US-64 to connect to Hampton Roads is a more logical argument for that route. If NCDOT actually does decide to upgrade US-1 all the way to I-85, I wouldn't be opposed to I-685 if NCDOT decides to go for it. All of the other even-numbered I-x85's are already taken.

I had an internship in NC one summer, and to go back to VA on weekends I would connect to I-85 from NC 50 and US 15 (via Creedmoor) due to hearing about how bad US 1 traffic is.  Maybe a freeway corridor on US 1 would also help relieve NC 50 slightly.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CanesFan27

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 15, 2016, 05:52:46 AM
Quote from: LM117 on June 15, 2016, 03:37:10 AM

I had an internship in NC one summer, and to go back to VA on weekends I would connect to I-85 from NC 50 and US 15 (via Creedmoor) due to hearing about how bad US 1 traffic is.  Maybe a freeway corridor on US 1 would also help relieve NC 50 slightly.

It really depends on where you live in Wake County.  If you live in east wake, like I do, you take 64 to 95.  North Raleigh and North Wake (Wake Forest) is US 1 on Nc 50 to 85.  Western wake is either 70 or Nc 147 to 15/501 - later the east end connector) to 85.

The issue with one isn't the entire length it's from Wake Forest south.  South of New Falls of Neuse/Main St (US 1A) to 540 and then 440 being the worst. 

CanesFan27

It's been slated to become a freeway since at least the 90s.  And to Adam's & njroadfan's point - there would be a lot of row going on because much of the corridor is not preserved - there isn't many if at all protected areas along US 1.  There's also the possibility of the Southeast High Speed Rail along the same corridor. More of if it gets funded.  The somewhat abandoned rail line parallel to 1 will be part of the Richmond to Raleigh route.

The intersections that need it the most (honestly they all do) is (going south to North) Durant.  There's no interchange corridor protection here.  The SW corner of the interchange - though wooded and vacant - is up for sale and zoned commercial. Thorton Road though you can't build to the west (Malinkrodt has a large pharma plant there) so you have to tear down or come awfully close to the existing Sheetz. Burlington Mills Road - again no corridor preservation for an interchange. And obviously S Main.

Gresham Lake Road can be closed as that traffic can be diverted onto Capital Hills Drive go behind all of the Leith Dealerships and tie into Durant.  Sharon Farms Road can also be closed as that traffic can go to Burlington Mills Road.

Some form of service roads will have to be built and some existing ones can be utilized.  Would a new bridge over the Neuse River be needed?

As you can see - upgrading to a needed freeway from 540 to S. main (Us 1A) isn't going to be an easy task.  They really should have ( and granted hindsight is 20/20) steps to preserve the corridor 20 years ago.

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 15, 2016, 08:47:59 AM

Would a new bridge over the Neuse River be needed?

As you can see - upgrading to a needed freeway from 540 to S. main (Us 1A) isn't going to be an easy task.  They really should have ( and granted hindsight is 20/20) steps to preserve the corridor 20 years ago.

I just looked at the Neuse River bridges on US-1 using Google Streetview and there's good news and bad news. Good news is the northbound span is definitely Interstate standard, since both shoulders are wide enough. Bad news is the southbound bridge will have to be replaced or widened unless FHWA grants a waiver. The outside shoulder is ok, but the inner shoulder appears to be a little too narrow. And yeah, it was a dumb move on NCDOT's part to not preserve the corridor. I guess they didn't anticipate the population boom in the Triangle happening so fast. Construction there is going to be a mess, whenever it finally begins.

LM117

I just looked on the Super 70 Corridor Commission's website to see if they finally posted their meeting minutes from last month. No dice, but they did post NCDOT's US-70 Corridor status as it stands from June 2. Seems like every bit of the corridor except the freeway section from Dover to New Bern and the Northern Carteret Bypass (no new developments since 2009 it seems) is either in the planning stages or under construction. It's a good read.

Don't worry, it's only 18 pages, 1.81MB.

http://www.super70corridor.com/cms/lib04/NC01920485/Centricity/Domain/14/US%2070%20Corridor%20Status-%20June%202016.pdf

WashuOtaku

NCDOT renovated another rest area, this time Southbound I-85 rest area in Alamance County.  Earlier this year they opened a new rest area in Haywood County, will open a new rest area on I-77 next year and have been renovating a lot of rest areas in the state as of late.  Of course, I believe all this is a good thing, but it makes me wonder why North Carolina is gung-ho about rest areas while the neighboring states have been cutting back?

wdcrft63

I doubt the US-1 freeway would end at NC-98 in Wake Forest permanently. I think it's likely that NCDOT will want to extend the freeway conversion to I-85 in Henderson eventually. If they do, does anybody wanna guess the odds that NCDOT will ask AASHTO and FHWA to turn US-1 between I-540 and I-85 into I-685?
This is an idea for the Fictional Highways forum; I don't see any possibility of US 1 being converted to a freeway all the way to Henderson. The purpose of the freeway to NC 98 is to ease commuting in Raleigh. Also, the I-885 project in Durham will provide a better connection to I-85 for Cary, Apex, and the west side of Raleigh (and it is actually under construction).

NJRoadfan

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 15, 2016, 06:52:01 AM
The issue with one isn't the entire length it's from Wake Forest south.  South of New Falls of Neuse/Main St (US 1A) to 540 and then 440 being the worst. 

Lately I've been taking Falls of Neuse/Wake Forest Rd. down to 440, it seems to be faster despite not being as direct. Less traffic and better light timing. I generally prefer taking  I-85/US-1 to my family's place in southwestern Wake. I-95 can be a total PITA south of Petersburg in the summer. I-85 is just that much more relaxing of a drive (current NC construction not withstanding).

Coming back home in the morning I have been doing US-64/I-95 again, mostly because they moved closer to US-401. Once I get to I-40, taking US-64 becomes a no brainer.

Henry

FWIW, it would make a good I-x87 if they upgraded the rest of the US 1 corridor to Rockingham and extended I-87 onto it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 15, 2016, 05:21:04 PM
I doubt the US-1 freeway would end at NC-98 in Wake Forest permanently. I think it's likely that NCDOT will want to extend the freeway conversion to I-85 in Henderson eventually. If they do, does anybody wanna guess the odds that NCDOT will ask AASHTO and FHWA to turn US-1 between I-540 and I-85 into I-685?
I don't see any possibility of US 1 being converted to a freeway all the way to Henderson. We'll agree to disagree. It might not happen in the near future, but I think it'll be on their radar in the next 20 years.

The purpose of the freeway to NC 98 is to ease commuting in Raleigh. Obviously.

Also, the I-885 project in Durham will provide a better connection to I-85 for Cary, Apex, and the west side of Raleigh (and it is actually under construction). Yep, I saw the construction when I came through Durham on my way to Greenville last September and it will indeed be a great connection to I-85 for that region. Not so much for traffic heading to VA and points north from north/northeast Raleigh and vice versa.

Replied in bold.

LM117

Quote from: Henry on June 16, 2016, 10:12:59 AM
FWIW, it would make a good I-x87 if they upgraded the rest of the US 1 corridor to Rockingham and extended I-87 onto it.

Now, THAT's a fictional idea if ever I saw one.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think the US 1 corridor will be reapplied to the Interstate System, after the proposal to make it Interstate 140 was shot down?

sparker

Presently, no...the perception of need for an Interstate-grade corridor down US 1 toward Rockingham just isn't there.  Also, the probability of blowback from landowners in the Southern Pines region might be a political bridge too far.  But, hey, this is North Carolina, so there's no telling what plans might emerge in 20 years or so, particularly if the 85-40 corridor between Charlotte & Raleigh regularly hits a "F" LOS!  But even the deployment of US 1 as an interregional relief corridor would depend upon corresponding full-scale development of the US 74 corridor; and presently, I haven't heard of any solid plans to upgrade that corridor east of the Monroe bypass.  Right now, with I-42 and I-87 in the mix, NC has pretty much got a full plate going; don't see much new activity happening until what's currently under development is either completed or well on the way toward such.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 16, 2016, 03:02:25 PM
Does anyone think the US 1 corridor will be reapplied to the Interstate System, after the proposal to make it Interstate 140 was shot down?

Considering the fact that NCDOT never tried again after getting rejected in 1999, I'd say no and I don't think an interstate spur to Sanford is needed. The only section of US-1 that NCDOT seems to be focusing on at the moment is from I-540 to Wake Forest. The only part of US-1 that would make a logical 3-di is from I-540 to I-85 if NCDOT decides to extend the freeway conversion beyond Wake Forest and there are currently no plans for it. NCDOT is only focusing on the most congested part for the time being.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.