News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-73 & I-74 in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Henry on October 06, 2021, 10:28:59 AM
I agree, they should get the coastal segment out of the way first, then work their way back to Rockingham after that. That way, the Piedmont Triad will have a more direct connection to Myrtle Beach, something I-74 will never give them.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2021, 01:51:40 PM
The Piedmont Triad already has a good route to the beach, as I-40 gets you headed towards Morehead City and Wilmington.  I-74/I-73 is along the traditional route that folks from the Great Lakes and West Virginia take to get to the beach.  From what I've seen at North Carolina beaches like Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle, Topsail, Surf City, Wrightsville, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Oak Island,, they are all getting more folks from Michigan/Ohio/West Virginia because of faster speed routes in North Carolina.  South Carolina is needing to catch up, but I'm starting to wonder if North Carolina would ever bother to build the final short stretch from Rockingham to the border.

Quote from: Strider on October 06, 2021, 03:55:55 PM
North Carolina will build the final short stretch from Rockingham to the border.... when SC is extending their part of I-73 from I-95 to the NC border. NC has a habit of waiting for another states to finish building their section of the interstate before they can proceed.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2021, 11:01:29 PM
The nice thing about the I-74 extension from Rockingham into South Carolina is that it will also improve US-1 heading toward Columbia.

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 07, 2021, 01:38:42 AM
Either way, once I-73 is complete between Rockingham and I-95, travel times would be around 10-15 minutes faster than current, and I-73/I-95/I-20 could be a viable, all freeway route over US-1.

The I-73 extension would follow NC/SC-38, not US-1.

That makes sense.  But I haven't seen anything formal indicating how North Carolina and South Carolina will make the connection at the border.  I would anticipate that NCDOT will pressure South Carolina to bring the connection as far west as possible.  Regardless, whenever I-73 does ever get completed it won't make any sense to use US-1 to Cheraw if you can use the SC-38 corridor and cut over to Wallace/Cheraw using the faster route.  Unless your GPS is set for shortest route.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 07, 2021, 08:22:22 AM
Quote from: Henry on October 06, 2021, 10:28:59 AM
I agree, they should get the coastal segment out of the way first, then work their way back to Rockingham after that. That way, the Piedmont Triad will have a more direct connection to Myrtle Beach, something I-74 will never give them.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2021, 01:51:40 PM
The Piedmont Triad already has a good route to the beach, as I-40 gets you headed towards Morehead City and Wilmington.  I-74/I-73 is along the traditional route that folks from the Great Lakes and West Virginia take to get to the beach.  From what I've seen at North Carolina beaches like Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle, Topsail, Surf City, Wrightsville, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Oak Island,, they are all getting more folks from Michigan/Ohio/West Virginia because of faster speed routes in North Carolina.  South Carolina is needing to catch up, but I'm starting to wonder if North Carolina would ever bother to build the final short stretch from Rockingham to the border.

Quote from: Strider on October 06, 2021, 03:55:55 PM
North Carolina will build the final short stretch from Rockingham to the border.... when SC is extending their part of I-73 from I-95 to the NC border. NC has a habit of waiting for another states to finish building their section of the interstate before they can proceed.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2021, 11:01:29 PM
The nice thing about the I-74 extension from Rockingham into South Carolina is that it will also improve US-1 heading toward Columbia.

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 07, 2021, 01:38:42 AM
Either way, once I-73 is complete between Rockingham and I-95, travel times would be around 10-15 minutes faster than current, and I-73/I-95/I-20 could be a viable, all freeway route over US-1.

The I-73 extension would follow NC/SC-38, not US-1.

That makes sense.  But I haven't seen anything formal indicating how North Carolina and South Carolina will make the connection at the border.  I would anticipate that NCDOT will pressure South Carolina to bring the connection as far west as possible.  Regardless, whenever I-73 does ever get completed it won't make any sense to use US-1 to Cheraw if you can use the SC-38 corridor and cut over to Wallace/Cheraw using the faster route.  Unless your GPS is set for shortest route.

Bob Malme has some renders of the proposed alignment on his I-73 segment 13 page. It'll be a semi-directional T interchange (with the existing US 74/future I-74 bypass as the mainline, not I-73) just east of the NC 38 interchange, with that reconfigured to tie into all the ramps. I don't know how old this design is, or whether it will be changed at all by the time SC builds their segment.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

CanesFan27

Earlier this year, I was interviewed by the Myrtle Beach Sun News about Interstate 73.  It goes through a thorough history of the proposed highway, and also really digs into whether or not the Interstate will bring promised economic growth or not.

It is paywalled - so not sure if everyone will have access.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/politics-government/article260129435.html

We created a word doc file that contains the text of the article. Follow the link below to read the above-linked article:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiq6fw6cbhfn584/I-73.docx?dl=0

Strider

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 23, 2022, 06:12:53 PM
Earlier this year, I was interviewed by the Myrtle Beach Sun News about Interstate 73.  It goes through a thorough history of the proposed highway, and also really digs into whether or not the Interstate will bring promised economic growth or not.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/politics-government/article260129435.html

We created a word doc file that contains the text of the article. Follow the link below to read the above-linked article:

I could see I-73 happening in MB one day. With the way things go lately, it is not going to be built in our lifetime. I have repeatedly mentioned in my previous posts (years ago, I believe) that SCDOT should just build I-73 from NC line to I-95 first then deal with the rest. Oh well. I have not lost hope... yet. lol

rickmastfan67

PColumbus73

Maybe SCDOT can pull an NCDOT move, build I-73 from I-95 to Myrtle Beach and sign it as I-195 until they decide to build it all the way to Rockingham.

The Ghostbuster

I doubt that would happen, although I wouldn't mind seeing an Interstate 195 constructed somewhere in South Carolina.

sprjus4

Quote from: PColumbus73 on July 28, 2023, 12:41:35 PM
Maybe SCDOT can pull an NCDOT move, build I-73 from I-95 to Myrtle Beach and sign it as I-195 until they decide to build it all the way to Rockingham.
How is this an NCDOT move?

sprjus4

Quote from: Strider on July 24, 2022, 05:09:26 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 23, 2022, 06:12:53 PM

I could see I-73 happening in MB one day. With the way things go lately, it is not going to be built in our lifetime. I have repeatedly mentioned in my previous posts (years ago, I believe) that SCDOT should just build I-73 from NC line to I-95 first then deal with the rest. Oh well. I have not lost hope... yet. lol
I'm not sure building to North Carolina would be in South Carolina's best interests... at least first. The segment from I-95 to Myrtle Beach is their highest priority, trying to route traffic off of US-501, specifically tourists connecting from the north.

The portion north of I-73 to Rockingham would be second. SC-38 and SC-9 is all four lanes to US-1, with that US-1 portion up to North Carolina being the only real gap. That is likely to handle the lesser traffic volumes for a longer period of time than the busier US-501 can handle.

Henry

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2023, 08:46:15 PM
The reference is probably to how I-495 to Raleigh was changed to I-87 when plans were first made to continue to Norfolk.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wdcrft63

Quote from: Henry on July 28, 2023, 11:47:41 PM
The reference is probably to how I-495 to Raleigh was changed to I-87 when plans were first made to continue to Norfolk.
I-73 is authorized by act of Congress and SCDOT has an approved environmental impact statement pinning down the route between I-95 and SC 22. If any of this road is finally built it will have to be signed I-73 or maybe Future I73.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Henry on July 28, 2023, 11:47:41 PM

Except that NCDOT requested it as I-44 from the FHWA before they requested I-495.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.