News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

I found an interesting recent article from Goldsboro's local newspaper, News-Argus. Apparently, the local businesses are hurting due to what they say is a lack of business logo signage along the interchanges on the new US-70 Bypass. There's a paywall, but the opening paragraph gives the gist of it (I don't currently have a subscription. If anybody else does, have at it).

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2016/09/27/business_owners_press_dot_about_signs/

IMO, NCDOT's stupid decision to use La Grange as a control city for US-70 westbound at the eastern end of the Goldsboro Bypass has more to do with it, since the signs are currently telling Goldsboro-bound drivers to take the bypass to get to Goldsboro, instead of using US-70 (where most of the businesses are located) that, oh I don't know, actually goes through Goldsboro! :banghead:

Easy solution: Change the control city for US-70 westbound from La Grange to Goldsboro. Problem solved. Smithfield can take Goldsboro's place as a control city for US-70 Bypass westbound.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

slorydn1

Quote from: LM117 on September 28, 2016, 02:18:22 PM
I found an interesting recent article from Goldsboro's local newspaper, News-Argus. Apparently, the local businesses are hurting due to what they say is a lack of business logo signage along the interchanges on the new US-70 Bypass. There's a paywall, but the opening paragraph gives the gist of it (I don't currently have a subscription. If anybody else does, have at it).

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2016/09/27/business_owners_press_dot_about_signs/

IMO, NCDOT's stupid decision to use La Grange as a control city for US-70 westbound at the eastern end of the Goldsboro Bypass has more to do with it, since the signs are currently telling Goldsboro-bound drivers to take the bypass to get to Goldsboro, instead of using US-70 (where most of the businesses are located) that, oh I don't know, actually goes through Goldsboro! :banghead:

Easy solution: Change the control city for US-70 westbound from La Grange to Goldsboro. Problem solved. Smithfield can take Goldsboro's place as a control city for US-70 Bypass westbound.

Totally with you there. Anyone driving down the bypass who is not familiar with the area sees nothing but a bunch of, well, nothing, at every interchange. You are out in the middle of nowhere, only a few houses and some farmland near the bypass. Since I am not familiar with Wayne County's zoning ordinance I don't know if this will change with time or not. Usually gas stations and restaurants migrate to be near exits, but the area around them in this case seems to be rural residential.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on September 28, 2016, 10:31:46 PM
Quote from: LM117 on September 28, 2016, 02:18:22 PM

Totally with you there. Anyone driving down the bypass who is not familiar with the area sees nothing but a bunch of, well, nothing, at every interchange. You are out in the middle of nowhere, only a few houses and some farmland near the bypass. Since I am not familiar with Wayne County's zoning ordinance I don't know if this will change with time or not. Usually gas stations and restaurants migrate to be near exits, but the area around them in this case seems to be rural residential.

Yeah, I finally managed to visit Goldsboro 2 weeks ago (along with my old stomping grounds in Fremont and Pikeville) while I was staying a motel in Wilson and drove part of the new bypass from I-795 to the US-13 interchange and came into the city that way so I could check out the Berkeley Boulevard widening project between New Hope Road and Royall Avenue. I see what you mean about a whole lot of nothing along the interchanges! :-D I was under a severe time constraint, so I didn't get to drive the entire length of the bypass. I definitely will next time!

As far as Wayne County's zoning, I'm not sure of the specifics, but I read not too long ago that they were already planning for businesses near the new interchanges, particularly the Wayne Memorial Drive and US-13 interchanges, IIRC. The only new business that's confirmed to be coming to one of the interchanges (so far) is a Wendy's, which will be located at the US-70/NC-581 intersection in the Rosewood area of Goldsboro across from Walmart, practically a stone's throw from the I-42 US-70 Bypass interchange. A new regional & agricultural convention center has also broke ground recently on Wayne Memorial Drive, which will be located beside Wayne Community College, also not far from I-42 US-70 Bypass.

LM117

I might've spoke too soon. Looks like NCDOT finally realized that they screwed up with the control cities for US-70 West at the eastern end of the Goldsboro Bypass.

According to the minutes from the August 16 meeting of the Wayne County Board of Commissioners, it appears Goldsboro will be added as a control city for US-70 West. No timetable was given for the change, so it may or may not already be fixed by now.

http://www.waynegov.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/09062016-387

Page 13:

QuoteChairman Joe Daughtery stated the new US Highway 70 Goldsboro Bypass has new
billboards. The exit signs on US Highway 70 for LaGrange are being redesigned to include
this as an exit for Goldsboro.

Interstate 69 Fan

Why Goldsboro? Couldn't it be Raleigh? (Sorry I'm new here, and don't know how to quote. :/ )
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

LM117

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 04, 2016, 09:47:08 AM
Why Goldsboro? Couldn't it be Raleigh? (Sorry I'm new here, and don't know how to quote. :/ )

(Photo courtesy of slorydn1)

Raleigh is in the correct spot and will remain there. Problem is that Goldsboro is being used for US-70 Bypass westbound at the eastern split as shown here, which goes around north and away from the city, while La Grange is used for US-70, which runs right through the middle of Goldsboro and is where nearly all of the businesses are located. The businesses are taking a big hit as a result.

The Goldsboro City Council and the Wayne County Board of Commissioners were rightfully pissed about Goldsboro-bound traffic being led away from the city and businesses along US-70 and I can't blame 'em. NCDOT apparently agreed to take Goldsboro off the US-70 Bypass sign in the above photo and put it on the US-70 sign with La Grange. From the sound of it, La Grange will remain on the US-70 sign, but at least Goldsboro will finally be put in the correct spot. Smithfield will probably be added as a second control city for US-70 Bypass.

Rothman

Quote from: LM117 on October 04, 2016, 12:03:47 PM
The Goldsboro City Council and the Wayne County Board of Commissioners were rightfully pissed about Goldsboro-bound traffic being led away from the city and businesses along US-70 and I can't blame 'em.

Hm.  Although I see the argument, wouldn't Goldsboro-bound traffic not take the bypass no matter what the sign said?  Seems to me that people don't just decide to go somewhere and follow BGSes without consulting some other source to make sure they get to wherever they want to go.

If anything, the issue just seems more of a simple correction to having the control city on the wrong sign rather than having a significant impact on traffic bound to Goldsboro and whatever business it generates (McDonald's and a gas station, I suppose :D).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LM117

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2016, 12:24:04 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 04, 2016, 12:03:47 PM
The Goldsboro City Council and the Wayne County Board of Commissioners were rightfully pissed about Goldsboro-bound traffic being led away from the city and businesses along US-70 and I can't blame 'em.

Hm.  Although I see the argument, wouldn't Goldsboro-bound traffic not take the bypass no matter what the sign said?  Seems to me that people don't just decide to go somewhere and follow BGSes without consulting some other source to make sure they get to wherever they want to go.

If anything, the issue just seems more of a simple correction to having the control city on the wrong sign rather than having a significant impact on traffic bound to Goldsboro and whatever business it generates (McDonald's and a gas station, I suppose :D).

I see your point, but on the other hand, having the control cities on the right signs would serve as a reminder to those not familiar with the area and who either didn't check other sources beforehand or simply forgot by the time they get there (even after checking before hitting the road).

While the impact on Goldsboro-bound traffic may not have been extreme to the point of businesses shutting down, it seems to have been enough to get the attention of the city/county leaders. NCDOT had no plans to change the signs until Goldsboro/Wayne County brought it to their attention. There are more than fast food joints along US-70. There are also shopping centers (including a mall), motels/hotels and auto dealerships along US-70, mostly near the Berkeley Boulevard, Spence Avenue and Wayne Memorial Drive interchanges.

Meanwhile, there's practically nothing near the US-70 Bypass interchanges, except at the Wayne Memorial Drive exit, where there's a small local gas station and a Walmart Neighborhood Market (also sells gas), and the NC-581 exit with a Walmart shopping center and other businesses. Other than that, there's absolutely nothing along the bypass.

LM117

The Goldsboro News-Argus removed their paywall for the weekend, so I took advantage and went back and read the full article about business logo (or lack of) signs on US-70 Bypass in Goldsboro. It appears that the blue logo signs won't go up until at least March next year.

From September 27: http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2016/09/27/business_owners_press_dot_about_signs/

QuoteLocal business owners Monday morning pressed state Department of Transportation officials for prompt action on installing business logo signs near interchanges on the new U.S. 70 Bypass, saying they are suffering as traffic passes them by.

They, along with Wayne County officials, voiced concerns that there would be no logo signs on the east-bound lane at the N.C. 581 exit.

The reason there will be no logo sign is because of space requirements, the DOT officials said. However, there will be smaller logo signs on the off ramp, they said.

Local leaders also sought assurances that signs would direct motorists to shopping areas, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base and the to-be-built Maxwell Regional Agricultural and Convention Center.

DOT officials said that would look into those requests, but that in some cases, their hands are tied by state policy and that March would be the earliest that the large blue logo signs will go up.

It is only then that the DOT will begin taking applications for logos on a first-come, first-serve basis, they said.

The process was outlined by DOT Division 4 traffic engineer Andy Brown, District 3 engineer Jiles Harrell and division Logo/Tourist Oriented Directional Signing coordinator Paul Marak.

The meeting was sponsored by the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce.

Several in the audience at the Goldsboro Event Center questioned why the signs had not been discussed earlier. They also wanted to know why signs were not erected during the time the highway was being built over the past five years.

The DOT officials said that state policy does not allow the signs to be erected until a project is completed.

Audience members shook their heads when they were told that they could not submit an application for a logo until they see the signs going up.

"Just as a process, I am not sure why they have to wait until you get all of this done to apply for a sign," Goldsboro Mayor Chuck Allen said. "Why can't they apply for the sign today. Have that paperwork out of the way. That would have to save some time and do that now.

"Why do you have to wait until you get the sign, the steel and all of that to let people apply and the sign go up. I don't get that."

Brown said that the rules have changed over the years and that the signs are now on a first-come, first-served basis.

"These people here would have an advantage if we just took applications today, instead of waiting for other businesses to be able to see logo signs going up," Brown said. "But you guys are going to have an advantage because you came, and you know you can anticipate seeing them.

"But if we started taking applications today, it wouldn't actually be fair to anyone else who didn't happen to attend this meeting."

Brown reiterated that applications would be taken as soon as the signs started going up.

Wayne County Manager George Wood questioned the lack of public notification about when applications would be accepted.

"You just count on people seeing the signs -- that's the notification to start the process, is that correct?" Wood said.

Brown told Wood that was correct and that would happen in March.

"Could we, and I guess Jiles I am directing this to you, if you and (Division IV engineer) Tim (Little) could look at, at our request, to change that policy, to make an exception to that policy if we were willing to do say public advertisement, things like that to put people on notice ahead of time," Wood said. "Then allow these people after that public notice, and have a cutoff date at that time, then say start your registration.

"I don't know why that wouldn't be as good a notice as putting the sign up. I know you can't make a decision today. We are just asking that you all take a look at that. I think it is obvious, we would be willing to pay for an ad or a series of ads to do that."

Wayne County Commission Chairman Joe Daughtery said businesses and the county are already behind the eight ball because of a lack of signs.

"We need to find a way to do this sooner than later," he said. "So if there is anyway that we can run an ad in order to put the public on notice -- to forestall just seeing somebody happening to dig a hole on the highway.

"How do we know that process of digging a hole is actually one of these signs? It just doesn't make sense."

The public wouldn't, and that is why people wait until they see a blue sign go up, Brown said.

The DOT does not build the signs. That work is outsourced, Marak said.

The initial cost to the business owner averages $250 to $300 per sign, Marak said.

Businesses within a three-mile radius of an interchange are automatic, he said. Business outside that area are placed on a provisional contract.

If a new business opens within the three-mile radius it would bump off the last business from outside that radius that had been added to the sign, he said.

Participating businesses pay an annual rental fee of $300 per each mainline, ramp, and trailblazer panel. Trailblazer panels are necessary when more than one turn is required to find the business.

Typically, two business panels are installed along the mainline (one in each direction) and two business panels are installed along the ramps resulting in total annual rental fees of $1,200.

A maximum of six business logo panels shall be installed on gas, food, lodging, camping and attraction service signs.

Marak said he could be contacted at 252-237-6164 or pmarak@ncdot.gov.

LM117

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=13218

QuoteRALEIGH — To allow the workers to safely place girders for a new bridge over U.S. 70, the N.C. Department of Transportation will close a section of U.S. 70 near Pine Level in Johnston County overnight starting Tuesday, Nov. 1.

Beginning at 10 p.m., the highway will be closed nightly until 6 a.m. the following morning, between I-95 and Davis Mill/Stevens Chapel Road until mid-November. Traffic will be rerouted onto U.S. 70 Alternate around the closure.

The construction is part of a project to improve safety along a two-mile stretch of U.S. 70, and includes converting the intersections at Davis Mill Road/Stevens Chapel Road and near Woods Road/U.S. Business to interchanges.

LM117

Blue logo signs are going up on the Goldsboro Bypass.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=13215

QuoteRALEIGH -- As a service to motorists, the N.C. Department of Transportation installs signs on certain highways to let travelers know where they can find gas, food, lodging, camping and attractions. The department is now in the process of installing these signs, referred to as logo signs, along the recently opened U.S. 70 Goldsboro Bypass, and is accepting applications from businesses interested in purchasing space.

Participating businesses pay an annual rental fee of $300 to have their name, symbol or trademark on a logo panel. The fee covers the  agency's costs. Panel space is assigned on a first-come first-serve basis. Interested businesses should submit their request to participate to Paul Marak at pmarak@ncdot.gov.  He can also be reached at (252) 237-6164.

slorydn1

Quote from: LM117 on October 30, 2016, 07:52:19 AM
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=13218

QuoteRALEIGH — To allow the workers to safely place girders for a new bridge over U.S. 70, the N.C. Department of Transportation will close a section of U.S. 70 near Pine Level in Johnston County overnight starting Tuesday, Nov. 1.

Beginning at 10 p.m., the highway will be closed nightly until 6 a.m. the following morning, between I-95 and Davis Mill/Stevens Chapel Road until mid-November. Traffic will be rerouted onto U.S. 70 Alternate around the closure.

The construction is part of a project to improve safety along a two-mile stretch of U.S. 70, and includes converting the intersections at Davis Mill Road/Stevens Chapel Road and near Woods Road/U.S. Business to interchanges.

Good, this means they are making progress there too. It's been a few months since I have been up that way, Matthew and its aftermath put a crimp on my off weekend cruises.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

The Ghostbuster

Is there any place along future Interstate 42 where a x-42 3-digit Interstate could theoretically go?

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 31, 2016, 04:37:10 PM
Is there any place along future Interstate 42 where a x-42 3-digit Interstate could theoretically go?

NC-11/US-13 between Kinston & US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel, though I think it'll probably become another I-x87 since the idea is to connect Kinston's Global TransPark and Greenville to Hampton Roads via the I-87 connection in Bethel.

amroad17

I-42 isn't officially signed, yet some are talking about where to fit an I-X42?

C'mon, man!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

LM117

Quote from: amroad17 on October 31, 2016, 09:47:15 PM
I-42 isn't officially signed, yet some are talking about where to fit an I-X42?

C'mon, man!

It's a real possibility for the NC-11/US-13 corridor if this bill passes Congress. It's being pushed heavily by Kinston and Greenville. NCDOT is currently trying to get US-264 between US-64/Future I-87 in Zebulon and Greenville (Exit 73) designated as "Future I-587".

https://butterfield.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/burr-tillis-butterfield-jones-introduce-bipartisan-bicameral-legislation

http://wnct.com/2016/10/27/request-to-make-us-264-an-interstate-still-under-consideration/

Kinston wants the Global TransPark connected to the Port of Virginia in Norfolk (by interstate & rail) and Greenville wants to have interstate connections to 2 nearby metros, the Triangle & Hampton Roads.

orulz

How about the US 17 New Bern Bypass which is already partially complete? It is a very similar situation to interstate 140 in Wilmington, which is also a bypass for US 17 - but since it crosses an interstate, it is given an interstate designation.

LGL44VL

LM117

Quote from: orulz on November 01, 2016, 02:03:09 PM
How about the US 17 New Bern Bypass which is already partially complete? It is a very similar situation to interstate 140 in Wilmington, which is also a bypass for US 17 - but since it crosses an interstate, it is given an interstate designation.

LGL44VL

Wilmington is also larger than New Bern.

orulz

Interstate designation for I-140 was first pursued in 1997. Don't have statistics for Wilmington's metro population in 1997 but in 1990 it was 171k and 200 it was 233k so interpolated assuming a stenady growth rate of 3.1% that gives us approx. 211k in 1997.

New Bern MSA population is currently 127k.

So yes Wilmington was bigger even back when I-140 was first pursued in 1997; but not THAT much bigger: for every 5 people in the Wilmington area then, there are 3 people in the New Bern area today. Is there some sort of policy whether official or unofficial that only cities of a certain size can get 3di's?

LGL44VL

CanesFan27

Quote from: orulz on November 01, 2016, 04:11:35 PM
Interstate designation for I-140 was first pursued in 1997. Don't have statistics for Wilmington's metro population in 1997 but in 1990 it was 171k and 200 it was 233k so interpolated assuming a stenady growth rate of 3.1% that gives us approx. 211k in 1997.

New Bern MSA population is currently 127k.

So yes Wilmington was bigger even back when I-140 was first pursued in 1997; but not THAT much bigger: for every 5 people in the Wilmington area then, there are 3 people in the New Bern area today. Is there some sort of policy whether official or unofficial that only cities of a certain size can get 3di's?

LGL44VL

The 1997 140 request was from I-40 to Sanford along US 1. It had nothing to do with wilmington

orulz

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 01, 2016, 04:37:33 PM

The 1997 140 request was from I-40 to Sanford along US 1. It had nothing to do with wilmington

According to Wikipedia, in 1997 is when local planners in Wilmington first announced they would pursue interstate designation for the US 17 bypass, though they were not requesting a specific number at that point.

LGL44VL

english si

Quote from: LM117 on November 01, 2016, 03:32:04 PMWilmington is also larger than New Bern.
And? There's no reason why New Bern can't have I-x42, or even two*, on US17 provided I-42 gets there and the 3di roadway meets interstate standards.

And this is NC we're talking about. If it meets the standards and isn't a toll road, blue-and-red shields will be sought. And if it's a freeway that doesn't meet the standards they'll make up some upgrade plan so as to get blue-and-red shields anyway as "Future I-xxx".

*both the bypass, and across to Bridgeton are surely options for short 3dis in the area.

orulz

I think across to bridgeton is not a likely candidate. Shoulders are certainly not up to standards. Exceptions are often granted for long bridges like this when they are part of some larger corridor, but when the corridor itself is basically just the bridge, I somehow doubt it would pass muster.

LGL44VL

CanesFan27

Quote from: orulz on November 01, 2016, 06:35:18 PM

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 01, 2016, 04:37:33 PM

According to Wikipedia, in 1997 is when local planners in Wilmington first announced they would pursue interstate designation for the US 17 bypass, though they were not requesting a specific number at that point.

LGL44VL

Well you know what they say about Wikipedia.  I-140 was first proposed for US 1 to Sanford in 1999.

http://route.transportation.org/Documents/1999-USRN_Cmte.pdf

I-140 in Wilmington was not approved until 2003.

http://route.transportation.org/Documents/2003-USRN_Cmte.pdf

How you wrote it can be interpreted as Wilmington asked for I-140 in 1997.

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on October 30, 2016, 08:58:17 AM
Blue logo signs are going up on the Goldsboro Bypass.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=13215

QuoteRALEIGH -- As a service to motorists, the N.C. Department of Transportation installs signs on certain highways to let travelers know where they can find gas, food, lodging, camping and attractions. The department is now in the process of installing these signs, referred to as logo signs, along the recently opened U.S. 70 Goldsboro Bypass, and is accepting applications from businesses interested in purchasing space.

Participating businesses pay an annual rental fee of $300 to have their name, symbol or trademark on a logo panel. The fee covers the  agency's costs. Panel space is assigned on a first-come first-serve basis. Interested businesses should submit their request to participate to Paul Marak at pmarak@ncdot.gov.  He can also be reached at (252) 237-6164.

I guess these people don't realize that Happiness is Goldsboro in the rear view mirror.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.