News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Google StreetView is now showing the Goldsboro Bypass between it's eastern end and the Parkstown Road interchange.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

slorydn1

Quote from: LM117 on December 20, 2016, 08:22:05 AM
Google StreetView is now showing the Goldsboro Bypass between it's eastern end and the Parkstown Road interchange.

Maybe one of these days (with some tutelage) I may figure out how to time lapse the video I shot westbound of the entire Goldsboro Bypass back in May when my wife took this picture (red light is on the GoPro so I was recording).

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

LM117

Quote from: mvak36 on December 21, 2016, 09:42:06 PM
Ran into this article today: http://wnct.com/2016/12/16/federal-highway-administration-approves-u-s-70-havelock-bypass/

I'm guessing this will be a part of I-42 right?

Yes. Most (if not all) future freeway bypasses along the US-70 corridor between I-40 and Morehead City will eventually become I-42 and they will be built to interstate standards.

Interstate 69 Fan

Just to let anyone know who cannot drive on the Goldsboro Bypass, Google Maps has streetview for it now! Also, the eastbound lanes of US 70 near I-40 at I-42's east end has been redone as well. The westbound lanes still remain pre-2016.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

LM117

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 27, 2016, 06:11:25 PM
Just to let anyone know who cannot drive on the Goldsboro Bypass, Google Maps has streetview for it now! Also, the eastbound lanes of US 70 near I-40 at I-42's east end has been redone as well. The westbound lanes still remain pre-2016.

Huh? Streetview on my phone is only showing the Goldsboro Bypass between the Parkstown Road interchange and it's eastern end at US-70. The rest of the bypass isn't showing up and images of the central section between Wayne Memorial Drive and I-795 are the older images from 2012, long before the western and eastern sections opened. However there are current images on US-70 eastbound approaching the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass showing the updated overhead BGS, but that's as close to the bypass Streetview goes.

As far as the lanes being redone, I assume you're talking about the "old" US-70 freeway around La Grange? Yes, those were redone over the summer. When that project was first announced, I initially thought NCDOT was going to widen the outside shoulders to interstate standards while they were at it, but it's obvious they did not.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: LM117 on December 27, 2016, 07:08:59 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 27, 2016, 06:11:25 PM

Huh? Streetview on my phone is only showing the Goldsboro Bypass between the Parkstown Road interchange and it's eastern end at US-70. The rest of the bypass isn't showing up and images of the central section between Wayne Memorial Drive and I-795 are the older images from 2012, long before the western and eastern sections opened. However there are current images on US-70 eastbound approaching the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass showing the updated overhead BGS, but that's as close to the bypass Streetview goes.

As far as the lanes being redone, I assume you're talking about the "old" US-70 freeway around La Grange? Yes, those were redone over the summer. When that project was first announced, I initially thought NCDOT was going to widen the outside shoulders to interstate standards while they were at it, but it's obvious they did not.
I put streetview on the westbound lanes.
What I mean about the redo, is streetview drove on it, and updated.
Just for clarification  ;-)
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

orulz

I haven't seen it posted here yet, but there are some PDFs depicting alternatives (including renderings) for the James City freeway conversion posted on the NCDOT website from the public meeting last month.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/US70_JamesCity/

All alternatives have a full interchange at Airport Road and two-way frontage roads that are severed at the major iand connected to those roads by jug handle things.

The alternatives vary based on whether the major intersecting roads (Grantham, Airport, Williams) are raised over US70/I-42 or vice versa, and whether Grantham and Williams get full or partial interchanges.

Overall I like the "US 70 Over" alternatives (A1 and A3), because they seem to have less impact on adjacent commercial parcels, and because they allow for a new grade separation of Elder St which eliminates a kind of scary looking pedestrian bridge. I also like the alternatives with partial interchanges at Grantham and Williams (A3 and C3) though the way they have the frontage roads cofigured with jug handles like that kind of gives me pause. I wish they paid more attention to making the frontage roads contiguous and useful in all the alternatives.

slorydn1

I was perusing these myself the other day, and I don't really have a preference. Any of the options shown would be a massive improvement over the current situation.

What I did notice is that we can say "bye bye" to the Mcdonald's/Citgo located at the SE corner of the US-70/Williams Rd intersection as well as Riverside Chrysler located at the SW corner of US-70/Airport Rd intersection.

As for that scary looking pedestrian bridge it's about 15-20 years old, and should really still be in excellent condition because it's never used. The people that live there would rather play Frogger with the traffic on US-70 than walk a few feet out of their way to use the pedestrian crossing that we paid a lot of money for. Elder Street has been severed (for vehicle traffic) pretty much the entire time I have lived here, people are used to going down to Williams to cross over US-70 by car.

That said, I still really don't have a preference either way.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

LM117

LM117

Google StreetView is now showing the Goldsboro Bypass between it's western end at US-70 and the I-795 interchange. It also updated images from Salem Church Road (SR-1300) through the I-795 interchange for those wanting an alternate view of the interchange.

The only remaining part of the bypass that has not yet been added to StreetView at all is a section between Wayne Memorial Drive and Parkstown Road.

LM117

I just found an article from December 30 (late, I know :pan:). Apparently, there was a lawsuit filed by the Southern Environmental Law Group to stop the Havelock Bypass from being built.

QuoteThe proposed Highway 70 bypass around Havelock will run through part of the Croatan National Forest and is causing concern among environmentalists who say it will ruin a national treasure.

The NCDOT has proposed the 10.3-mile bypass as an alternative to the stop and go through Havelock, but environmental groups concerned about the bypass' location say it's not worth it.

The Southern Environmental Law Group filed a lawsuit Thursday challenging the construction of the bypass, calling it unnecessary, costly and illegal.

In a statement to WNCT, the group stated "...the bypass would destroy important lands within the Croatan National Forest...and there are far less costly and less destructive options, such as upgrades to the existing 70 corridor.

Mayor Will Lewis said the bypass is integral to helping Havelock grow.

"There are businesses that will be negatively impacted,"  said Lewis. "We know that businesses are going to see a decrease in traffic during tourist season. But on the positive side, one of the main directions we have to grow is south toward where the bypass will be."

The bypass will be a four-lane divided freeway with speeds up to 70 miles per hour, and it will connect Raleigh to the Morehead City port.

But some business owners are still concerned.

Commissioner Danny Walsh is one of the business owners who will be impacted, and he said he has mixed feelings.

"If it helps Cherry Point, it helps my community,"  said Walsh. "If it hurts my businesses out in town, it hurts my community. So it's a double edged sword."

Walsh said he's seen some communities who are bypassed continue to thrive.

The estimated cost of the bypass is $221 million.

Construction is set to begin in the winter.

Until the lawsuit is taken care of, construction on the bypass will not be able to begin.

EDIT: This article is more detailed.

http://www.newbernsj.com/news/20161229/lawsuit-challenges-bypass-around-havelock

The Ghostbuster

Are there any alternative routes that could be taken? Or was the alternative chosen the best route for the new US 70/Future Interstate 42 alignment?

orulz

Havelock is entirely boxed in by Cherry Point on the east and Croatan on the west, so options are limited.

SELC seems to prefer an 'upgrade existing' alternative but those were eliminated in the EIS due to extensive business relocations, and due to either the 'expressway' alternative being too congested or the 'freeway' alternative not handling local traffic and causing extensive community impacts.

There were three 'detailed study' alternatives for the bypass, varying by how deep they go into Croatan in order to avoid impacts to development. The preferred alternative (alt 3) was the middle one, striking a balance between impacts to Croatan and impacts to residences - only 16. There was an alternative (alt 2) that stayed significantly closer to US70 but it would involve 133 residential impacts, so it was eliminated at the expense of a deeper excursion into Croatan.

Elsewhere on the corridor, Kinston was able to hit upon a better balance with its "shallow bypass" alternative which minimizes the bypass length and keeps it close into town, within the footprint of existing development. But they were able to take advantage of the fact that there's a lot of low lying undeveloped but unprotected land just south of Kinston, avoiding extensive relocations in spite of staying close to the existing route. So in that sense they were just lucky to have such an option available.

froggie

Given the sensitive nature of the environment down there, I'd rather impact development than impact woodlands and wetlands.  Homes and businesses can be rebuilt.  Woods and wetlands are far more difficult.

wdcrft63

Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2017, 09:39:33 PM
Given the sensitive nature of the environment down there, I'd rather impact development than impact woodlands and wetlands.  Homes and businesses can be rebuilt.  Woods and wetlands are far more difficult.
In general, the courts have required NCDOT to make sure that all the i's are dotted and all the t's crossed as required by law, and to do the best they can to address environmental concerns. Assuming that's been done in this case, the most likely effect of the suit will be to delay the project and increase its cost.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 18, 2017, 06:57:56 PM
In general, the courts have required NCDOT to make sure that all the i's are dotted and all the t's crossed as required by law, and to do the best they can to address environmental concerns. Assuming that's been done in this case, the most likely effect of the suit will be to delay the project and increase its cost.

Agreed. There's too much development on US-70 through Havelock and there would probably be just as much opposition from the town and it's businesses to that alternative. NCDOT will probably win this one.

The one bypass that I DON'T think is needed at all is the proposed US-70 New Bern Bypass. US-70 through New Bern is already an upgradable freeway and once US-70 is upgraded through James City between the Neuse River bridge and the beginning of the Havelock Bypass, there's no reason I-42 can't follow existing US-70 through New Bern.

Plus, the New Bern Bypass would cut through a larger chunk of Croatan National Forest than the Havelock Bypass would. The SELC would have a field day with that one and that would be one case where they would have a good argument for upgrading existing US-70.

froggie

Has NCDOT received wetlands permits from the Corps of Engineers for the Havelock bypass?  If not, that's one factor where NCDOT could still easily get shot down.  If you doubt this, just look at US 460 in Virginia last year...

nerdom

Quote from: LM117 on February 19, 2017, 02:51:23 AM

Agreed. There's too much development on US-70 through Havelock and there would probably be just as much opposition from the town and it's businesses to that alternative. NCDOT will probably win this one.

The one bypass that I DON'T think is needed at all is the proposed US-70 New Bern Bypass. US-70 through New Bern is already an upgradable freeway and once US-70 is upgraded through James City between the Neuse River bridge and the beginning of the Havelock Bypass, there's no reason I-42 can't follow existing US-70 through New Bern.

Plus, the New Bern Bypass would cut through a larger chunk of Croatan National Forest than the Havelock Bypass would. The SELC would have a field day with that one and that would be one case where they would have a good argument for upgrading existing US-70.

there are no plans for a 70 bypass of new bern. just the 70 upgrade through james city.

LM117

Quote from: nerdom on February 19, 2017, 10:36:05 AM

there are no plans for a 70 bypass of new bern. just the 70 upgrade through james city.

It's been proposed.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1202B_Report_2014.pdf

nerdom

Quote from: LM117 on February 19, 2017, 11:23:41 AM
Quote from: nerdom on February 19, 2017, 10:36:05 AM

It's been proposed.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1202B_Report_2014.pdf

yeah. it was an alternative to upgrading 70 in james city. now that james city is full steam ahead, i dont expect to see this dusted off again until 2050. 6 lanes of 70 through james city should be adequate for some time and the new bern side of the river could be easily upgraded to 6 lanes. the glenburnie exit is begging to be a DDI or SPUI as well.

slorydn1

The people that I deal with at NCDOT knew this was coming and say they were prepared for it. We shall see if that's correct.

Orulz is spot on about the alternatives that were looked at down in Havelock, and about just how tightly boxed in Havelock is. There just isn't very many different places to put it, and routing it straight through Havelock just wouldn't work.

I read the proposal that LM117 was talking about last year. There was a time in my younger days I would have been fully onboard with that, but looking at it now I just don't see the need for it, and apparently neither does NCDOT. We already have a fully functioning freeway and bridge system coming through New Bern, and the improvements in James City make a new terrain freeway unnecessary.

Nerdom, no I don't believe a full redesign of the Glenburnie Rd exit is really needed. Yeah, I hate the traffic on Glenburnie, too, but I don't see a DDI as being the answer there. I used to think so until I experienced my first DDI (I-40 Exit 407, TN-66 in Kodak TN). https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9832298,-83.6081137,376m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

There just isn't enough room on the current overpass to do one correctly and I don't see alot of room, especially on the south side of US-70 to build a second overpass to make that work. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1121739,-77.0966704,761m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I think you will find alot of the north-south traffic that currently uses Glenburnie to get from MLK to Neuse Blvd or points NW of town will shift to the new NC-43 bypass if and when NCDOT decides to finish the southern segment between NC-55 and US-17 Business (it's supposed to come out at the light near Ben Quinn Elementary School). It won't completely eliminate the backups caused by Craven Community College traffic, but I think it will help some.

LM117

I just read an interesting tidbit from this morning's article in the Goldsboro News-Argus.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/02/21/council_approves_tiger_grant/

QuoteDuring the regular meeting, the council approved:

* A N.C. Department of Transportation request to rename U.S. 70 to U.S. 70 Business and the existing U.S. 70 Business to Ash Street inside the city limits.

If this happens, it would mean that the US-70 Bypass designation in Goldsboro won't be going away once I-42 gets signed...

IMO, I don't think the change is needed. The only change I'd be in favor of is decommissioning US-70 Bypass once I-42 takes over.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on February 21, 2017, 12:49:52 PM
I just read an interesting tidbit from this morning's article in the Goldsboro News-Argus.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/02/21/council_approves_tiger_grant/

QuoteDuring the regular meeting, the council approved:

* A N.C. Department of Transportation request to rename U.S. 70 to U.S. 70 Business and the existing U.S. 70 Business to Ash Street inside the city limits.

If this happens, it would mean that the US-70 Bypass designation in Goldsboro won't be going away once I-42 gets signed...

IMO, I don't think the change is needed. The only change I'd be in favor of is decommissioning US-70 Bypass once I-42 takes over.

It's also another indication that NCDOT is not in a hurry to post I-42 signs on the completed sections.

Fixed quote. - rmf67

slorydn1

^That quote box above ^ got botched. I don't blame ya' wdcrft it happens quite often to me when I use the quick reply box too.

I also agree with your assessment. I don't see NCDOT signing the Goldsboro bypass as I-42 until the portion between the east end of the Clayton Bypass and the west end of the Goldsboro bypass is up to standards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.