News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Makes perfect sense.  A northern bypass...especially one that utilizes NC 148...goes considerably out of the way compared to staying on US 70.  Their traffic models account for that.

BrianP

Quote from: froggie on July 30, 2019, 09:22:12 AM
Makes perfect sense.  A northern bypass...especially one that utilizes NC 148...goes considerably out of the way compared to staying on US 70.  Their traffic models account for that.
A rough estimate I did with google maps says it would add about 5 miles to the existing route.   

But what's faster in that scenario:
northern bypass 20 miles at 70 mph = 17 minutes, 9 seconds
or
existing US 70, google maps says 14.7 miles taking 19 mins = 46 mi/h

So the northern bypass would still be better than the existing route.

But the southern bypass would be faster than both of the above since it would add only a small amount of distance to the route but have the greater speed limit than the existing route and shorter distance than the northern bypass. 
e.g. 16 miles at 70 mph = 13 minutes, 43 seconds

sprjus4

Quote from: BrianP on July 30, 2019, 02:18:11 PM
Quote from: froggie on July 30, 2019, 09:22:12 AM
A rough estimate I did with google maps says it would add about 5 miles to the existing route.   

But what's faster in that scenario:
northern bypass 20 miles at 70 mph = 17 minutes, 9 seconds
or
existing US 70, google maps says 14.7 miles taking 19 mins = 46 mi/h

So the northern bypass would still be better than the existing route.

But the southern bypass would be faster than both of the above since it would add only a small amount of distance to the route but have the greater speed limit than the existing route and shorter distance than the northern bypass. 
e.g. 16 miles at 70 mph = 13 minutes, 43 seconds
And if you designed continuity for the bypass (which is most likely unless it pulls an I-73), most traffic would default on it anyways and not get off.

Either way, I'm supportive of a southern bypass, having the C.F. Harvey Parkway as its own facility, and a future NC-11 Bypass east of the existing NC-11 south of the Pkwy extension, which would link to I-42.

cowboy_wilhelm

Has this been mentioned yet? I got lost in all of the embedded quotes. Public meetings are being held in a couple of weeks for the Kinston Bypass.

Map of alternatives
Upcoming meetings and detailed maps of alternatives
Draft EIS

tolbs17

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on July 30, 2019, 08:33:02 PM
Has this been mentioned yet? I got lost in all of the embedded quotes. Public meetings are being held in a couple of weeks for the Kinston Bypass.

Map of alternatives
Upcoming meetings and detailed maps of alternatives
Draft EIS

Yeah, and Alternative 31 is probably the winner in all of those alternatives. Least impacts, and a nice bypass. Purple alternatives are just retarded. The red ones are also stupid.

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on July 20, 2019, 05:42:33 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on July 20, 2019, 11:03:41 AM
Quote from: LM117 on July 20, 2019, 10:30:15 AM
Speaking of shoulder widening, I never understood why NCDOT didn't widen the shoulders on the freeway section in La Grange when they repaved it 2 (maybe 3) years ago.

BTW, anybody know if the Havelock Bypass got pushed back again? The contract was supposed to have been awarded last Tuesday, but there's been no announcement. :hmm:
There's nothing on the July 19 letting page that suggests the Havelock Bypass project wasn't let. It sometimes takes time between when the winning bidder is determined and when the contract is officially awarded, then there's usually an announcement. The only project that was withdrawn from this letting was one in Buncombe County on June 27. Related, there were 3 addenda to the Bypass contract published after the project was pushed back to July. None of them involved changes to signing, however. Guess there's still time to fix the problems before signs go up.

Gotcha. Thanks for the 411. I also have my fingers crossed for the sign changes.

Also, since I'm originally from Wayne County, I read the local newspapers online everyday and there hasn't been any mention of when I-42 shields will go up on the Goldsboro Bypass, nor of the approval of I-42 itself. I checked FHWA's interstate logs, but they haven't been updated since last December. NCDOT hasn't posted any approval letters on their Route Changes page yet, either.
Update. The NCDOT letting pages now lists the contracts for July 19 as being awarded, but curiously, they have links to the award letters for all the let projects, except for the Havelock Bypass. There has also been no public announcement as of yet. Stay tuned.

LM117

Quote from: Finrod on July 28, 2019, 03:00:02 PM
I figure the area where the current I-95 - US 70 interchange is will get zoned for business after it gets relocated.  It's not like life will change much for say JR Cigar-- they'll just have I-95 running behind them instead of in front of them.

It was announced today that there's a huge development planned next to the interchange.

https://www.wral.com/proposed-300m-live-work-play-project-on-i-95-in-johnston-could-transform-county/18543094/
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tolbs17

Quote from: LM117 on July 31, 2019, 09:30:58 PM
I figure the area where the current I-95 - US 70 interchange is will get zoned for business after it gets relocated.  It's not like life will change much for say JR Cigar-- they'll just have I-95 running behind them instead of in front of them.

It was announced today that there's a huge development planned next to the interchange.

https://www.wral.com/proposed-300m-live-work-play-project-on-i-95-in-johnston-could-transform-county/18543094/

Awesome sauce! That would boost the economy and maybe ease some people from Garner and Wake County.

And looking at that, since they want to put development in that area, Alternative 1 is a non-starter. Alternative 1A (which is basically just widening the shoulders) is the winner. They can just keep the bridges to widen I-95 to six lanes, but there's just going to be no direct access from I-42. It would be similar to this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9601263,-92.2932579,14.83z

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on July 31, 2019, 09:30:58 PM

While I usually don't have too many issues with these developments, I think Johnson County officials should realize this could potentially be in the path of a relocated I-95 and at least require the developer to reserve right of way for the highway on the western end.

A now dead highway, the Southeastern Parkway here in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach had a path selected in the late 90s and any new developments in the path were required by the cities to dedicate a 300 ft right of way in its path in order to get a rezoning approved. That way, if the highway was ever built (it's now canceled indefinitely due to high environmental impact, high costs, and tolls would be underutilized), they wouldn't have as much right of way issues to deal with as the newer developments would have a reserved path ready.

orulz

The "developers" probably laid this out intentionally to put as much in the way of the I-95 relocation as possible. Notice the most intensely developed "mixed use" area in the master plan is *exactly* where the big 95/42 cloverleaf would go. This means that either the "developers" are trying to stop the relocation of I-95, or, this could be a cynical play by the owners of this land to get as much money as possible from DOT for the I-95 relocation. Spend a bit to get somebody to draw a master plan, in order to boost the value of this and surrounding property, without any intention to actually *build*, and hope to cash in big when the highway is built.

Honestly I would guess the intention is closer to the latter. When NC passed the Map Act, this is the sort of shenanigan that they were trying to prevent, and when the state supreme court struck it down as unconstitutional seizure without compensation, they invited more of said shenanigans to begin.

I don't quite see the demand for something like this in this location. Clayton, I could see it, but this? Who will buy all this? Will people driving from NJ to FL, or Raleigh to Morehead City, look out their window and say "Gosh, that looks like a nice place! I'll buy a house!"? It is at the intersection of two major highways but overwhelmingly the traffic is dominated by long distance through traffic.

Is there something about Selma that I'm missing??

LM117

Quote from: orulz on August 01, 2019, 11:32:34 AM
The "developers" probably laid this out intentionally to put as much in the way of the I-95 relocation as possible. Notice the most intensely developed "mixed use" area in the master plan is *exactly* where the big 95/42 cloverleaf would go. This means that either the "developers" are trying to stop the relocation of I-95, or, this could be a cynical play by the owners of this land to get as much money as possible from DOT for the I-95 relocation. Spend a bit to get somebody to draw a master plan, in order to boost the value of this and surrounding property, without any intention to actually *build*, and hope to cash in big when the highway is built.

Honestly I would guess the intention is closer to the latter. When NC passed the Map Act, this is the sort of shenanigan that they were trying to prevent, and when the state supreme court struck it down as unconstitutional seizure without compensation, they invited more of said shenanigans to begin.

I agree. I'm normally not against development, but I do not want a direct I-95/I-42 interchange sacrificed over something that may or may not take off.

BTW, for those interested, here's the developer's web page for Eastfield Crossing.

https://adventuredev.com/eastfield-crossing

cowboy_wilhelm

Havelock Bypass award letter posted today.

LM117

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on August 01, 2019, 04:56:01 PM

Finally! So now that just leaves the Kinston Bypass...unless NCDOT decides to revive the dormant Northern Carteret Bypass.

tolbs17

Quote from: LM117 on August 01, 2019, 05:03:07 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on August 01, 2019, 04:56:01 PM

Finally! So now that just leaves the Kinston Bypass...unless NCDOT decides to revive the dormant Northern Carteret Bypass.

It will be needed otherwise i-42 will end at the end of the Havelock Bypass. It might of got removed because it was far too expensive. I don't know if it will ever come back or not. :(

LM117

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-08-02-craven-county-highway-improvements.aspx

QuoteCOVE CITY — An entrance and an exit ramp will be closed for a couple days next week while the N.C. Department of Transportation continues to upgrade U.S. 70 to interstate standards.

The exit ramp from U.S. 70 West to N.C. 41 will be closed from 6:30 a.m. — 7 p.m. Aug. 5. The entrance ramp from N.C. 41 to U.S. 70 West will be closed from 6:30 a.m. — 7 p.m. Aug. 6. These dates are weather permitting.

During each closure, NCDOT will remove the top 2.5 inches of existing asphalt and replace it with 2.5 inches of new asphalt.

U.S. 70 Westbound traffic wanting to access N.C. 41 will go past the exit and continue west for 10 miles. Drivers will make a U-turn at the cross over on U.S. 70 West, Dover Road intersection. Drivers will head east on U.S. 70 until exiting at N.C. 41.

Motorists on N.C. 41 that wish to access U.S. 70 will use the U.S. 70 East entrance ramp, drive six miles east and exit at Tuscarora Road. At the stop sign, turn left and continue across the bridge until making another left onto U.S. 70 West. Traffic will continue for six miles west on the highway and exit at N.C. 41.

This construction is part of the project to bring U.S. 70 up to interstate standards. Crews are widening shoulders, as well as milling and repaving the highway, which will be renamed Interstate 42. The project in its entirety is 32 miles long and costs $25.5 million.

wdcrft63

Finrod

Quote from: LM117 on August 01, 2019, 12:53:46 PM
Quote from: orulz on August 01, 2019, 11:32:34 AM

I agree. I'm normally not against development, but I do not want a direct I-95/I-42 interchange sacrificed over something that may or may not take off.

BTW, for those interested, here's the developer's web page for Eastfield Crossing.

https://adventuredev.com/eastfield-crossing

I've spent some time in that area; while it does need development, it doesn't need something that would complicate the future I-95 - I-42 interchange.  If the plans were altered so they didn't interfere, then these plans would be good and beneficial for the area.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-08-08-craven-county-highway-upgrades-ramp-closure.aspx

QuoteNEW BERN — An exit ramp on U.S. 70 will be closed this weekend while N.C. Department of Transportation crews continue work to upgrade the highway to interstate standards.

The eastbound U.S. 70 exit ramp to Glenburnie Road will be closed between 6:30 a.m. Aug. 10 and 7 p.m. Aug. 11, weather permitting.

During the closure, crews will remove a top layer of asphalt and replace it with fresh asphalt.

​​​​​​​Motorists wanting to access Glenburnie Road from U.S. 70 East will continue driving on U.S. 70 and pass the exit ramp for Glenburnie Road and exit at Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. After exiting the highway, make a left at the stoplight and proceed under the overpass, turning left at the next traffic signal for the entrance ramp for U.S 70 West. Drivers will continue for less than a half mile until exiting at Glenburnie Road.

This construction is part of the project to bring U.S. 70 up to interstate standards. Crews are widening shoulders, as well as milling and repaving the highway, which will be renamed Interstate 42. The project in its entirety is 32 miles long and costs $25.5 million.

LM117

Press release announcing 3 public meetings and a hearing in Kinston this month regarding the Kinston Bypass.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-08-12-kinston-bypass-open-house-hearing.aspx

Mileage Mike

Quote from: LM117 on July 25, 2019, 07:38:25 PM
The project page for the Kinston Bypass has an updated timeline.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinston-bypass/Pages/default.aspx

Also, the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (dated June 2019) and technical reports have been posted:

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinston-bypass/Pages/draft-environmental-impact-statement.aspx

The maps of the alternatives that will be shown during the public meeting in Kinston next month are also posted:

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinston-bypass/Pages/alternative-maps.aspx

I think the Yellow or Red Ones will be chosen.

There's no way they'll build the orange one along the existing route due to impact on the existing businesses and proximity to the Neuse River

The other Orange one heavily impacts residential areas and I remember back in 1999 when I lived there that Hurricane Floyd also flooded most of the area along that route.

I like the Yellow and Pink ones as they're far enough from the river but not too far from the city

Both the Blue and Purple seem too far out to be seriously considered.

I do like how the Red one ties into NC-148 to form a sort of semi-loop around the city.

Personally I'd prefer that the southern Orange one be built due to proximity to the city but judging from the Goldsboro Bypass and the cost of it, I doubt NCDOT will choose that one.

tolbs17

Quote from: Cemajr on August 16, 2019, 07:14:20 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 25, 2019, 07:38:25 PM
The project page for the Kinston Bypass has an updated timeline.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinston-bypass/Pages/default.aspx

Also, the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (dated June 2019) and technical reports have been posted:

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinston-bypass/Pages/draft-environmental-impact-statement.aspx

The maps of the alternatives that will be shown during the public meeting in Kinston next month are also posted:

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinston-bypass/Pages/alternative-maps.aspx

I think the Yellow or Red Ones will be chosen.

I think the yellow ones would be chosen. The red ones seem stupid in my opinion.

tolbs17

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/R-2553/draft-eis/STIP_R-2553_DEIS_Part-I.pdf

If you scroll to page 25 it will tell you the impacts.

31 seems like the best one.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on August 12, 2019, 12:17:10 PM
Press release announcing 3 public meetings and a hearing in Kinston this month regarding the Kinston Bypass.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-08-12-kinston-bypass-open-house-hearing.aspx

An article from the Kinston newspaper taking about the reaction from residents during those meetings. It went about as well as you'd expect...

https://www.kinston.com/news/20190820/public-reacts-to-kinston-bypass-around-70

One thing that stood out me was this:

Quote"Goldsboro on 70 has suffered from the bypass,"  Vick said.

No, it hasn't. As far as I know, the only major business that went belly up since the bypass opened was Wilber's Barbecue earlier this year and that's because he owed over $70,000 in taxes. The state put a notice on his door and shut him down. The place was losing business anyway since the building and food had went down the crapper thanks to the people Wilber let run the place. After Wilber filed bankruptcy, new owners are taking over with plans to reopen it.

Goldsboro is suffering largely because of two assholes on the city council (one of which is running for mayor in November), not the bypass.

Mileage Mike

They do have some good points.  Kinston is has mostly been a dying town for the past 20 years and I do agree that a lot of the customers get along the existing US 70 will be greatly reduced once people don't have to drive through the town. It really doesn't attract many visitors other than people passing through.

Upgrading the existing route of course would be the most favorable to businesses but overall I don't think the cost is worth it. Either way the highway has to get built and I think the Interstate 42 designation will be better for the town overall in the long term. Like most bypasses, businesses will begin to pop up around the interchanges along the new route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.