News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: sparker on February 18, 2021, 04:24:26 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 18, 2021, 12:38:48 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on February 18, 2021, 11:14:37 AM
Quote from: abqtraveler on February 18, 2021, 10:59:34 AM
It looks like Google Maps has jumped the gun in labeling the US-70 bypass around Goldsboro as I-42. Not sure if North Carolina plans to seek interstate designation for sections that meet interstate standards in the near future, or wait until the entire I-42 corridor is completed before applying the interstate designation.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3046416,-77.8185494,2501m/data=!3m1!1e3
That lone I-42 shield has been on Google Maps for at least a year at this point... NCDOT has gotten approval to sign the Goldsboro Bypass as I-42 since it meets interstate standards and connects to I-795, though so far has not officially posted any shields.

When was that?  I do not remember seeing it in any AASHTO Meeting approvals.

Was under the impression that since AASHTO's role back in 2016 was to designate (actually mandate, after NCDOT's attempts to call it I-50 and then I-36) I-42; after that, FHWA would be the entity vetting the facility to ensure it met their criteria -- physical standards plus connectivity, as noted in the prior posts.  Then it would be back in NCDOT's hands to actually sign the roadway.  Considering the flack they took with the "Future I-73/74" shields, they might be a bit gun-shy to post signage on I-42 until more of it is completed, particularly the adjoining Kinston bypass and the section west toward I-95.

That has nothing to do with Future I-73/I-74 shields. That was the different situation. The only reason they didn't sign I-42 is because they have not gotten to that point yet.

LM117

Quote from: Strider on March 14, 2021, 11:14:56 PM
It looks like Google Maps has jumped the gun in labeling the US-70 bypass around Goldsboro as I-42. Not sure if North Carolina plans to seek interstate designation for sections that meet interstate standards in the near future, or wait until the entire I-42 corridor is completed before applying the interstate designation.

That lone I-42 shield has been on Google Maps for at least a year at this point... NCDOT has gotten approval to sign the Goldsboro Bypass as I-42 since it meets interstate standards and connects to I-795, though so far has not officially posted any shields.

Was under the impression that since AASHTO's role back in 2016 was to designate (actually mandate, after NCDOT's attempts to call it I-50 and then I-36) I-42; after that, FHWA would be the entity vetting the facility to ensure it met their criteria -- physical standards plus connectivity, as noted in the prior posts.  Then it would be back in NCDOT's hands to actually sign the roadway.  Considering the flack they took with the "Future I-73/74" shields, they might be a bit gun-shy to post signage on I-42 until more of it is completed, particularly the adjoining Kinston bypass and the section west toward I-95.

That has nothing to do with Future I-73/I-74 shields. That was the different situation. The only reason they didn't sign I-42 is because they have not gotten to that point yet.

Which is surprising, given how quickly NCDOT threw I-87 shields on the Knightdale Bypass and the amount of  political muscle behind I-42.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on March 15, 2021, 09:51:00 AM
Quote from: Strider on March 14, 2021, 11:14:56 PM

Which is surprising, given how quickly NCDOT threw I-87 shields on the Knightdale Bypass and the amount of  political muscle behind I-42.

Likely the only reason I-87 shields showed up on US 64 and its I-440/40 approaches was as a designational subsitute for the originally (and, IMO, prematurely) deployed I-495 shields.  But it appears NCDOT is being more circumspect about I-42, particularly since no section of US 70 east of I-40 ever carried an Interstate shield.  While technically the Goldsboro bypass could be signed as I-42, as well as Dover to New Bern once the present spate of upgrades are completed, it's likely that only the former stands any chance of being signed, at least until the Kinston bypass is built. 

Henry

Given that they've been hellbent on creating new interstates lately, it's surprising that they're taking their time on I-42, as well as I-885 (although signs for the latter apparently exist despite them not asking for the official designation to this point either).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

fillup420

Quote from: Henry on March 17, 2021, 10:46:17 AM
Given that they've been hellbent on creating new interstates lately, it's surprising that they're taking their time on I-42, as well as I-885 (although signs for the latter apparently exist despite them not asking for the official designation to this point either).

I drive past covered-up I-885 signs every day. That project is actually quite close to completion. I have ridden my bike on the new roadway a few times.

tolbs17

Quote from: fillup420 on March 17, 2021, 04:09:11 PM
Quote from: Henry on March 17, 2021, 10:46:17 AM

I drive past covered-up I-885 signs every day. That project is actually quite close to completion. I have ridden my bike on the new roadway a few times.
So it may open up next month instead of June?

If you have been riding your bike on it, why not share pics?

tolbs17

https://amp.newbernsj.com/amp/42232385

These are a lot of relocations. And if I were to see Greenville Blvd widened to something like this, I'm sure we will experience the same.

The Ghostbuster

Has any opposition arisen to a bypass of James City? I'm sure the destruction/relocation of 41 properties and the impacts to 100 more will definitely rile up some people.

tolbs17

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 28, 2021, 09:31:14 PM
Has any opposition arisen to a bypass of James City? I'm sure the destruction/relocation of 41 properties and the impacts to 100 more will definitely rile up some people.
I don't live there so it's not like that I care. But the number of relocations for just a fucking road upgrade project is ridiculous. Seems like NCDOT is gung-ho on those dogbone interchanges.

What happened to this proposal?

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1202B_Report_2014.pdf

sprjus4

The bypass proposal does not help traffic moving between New Bern and Havelock.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 28, 2021, 10:31:43 PM
So the proposal I included was garbage.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 28, 2021, 10:43:51 PM

I wouldn't think of it as garbage.  I would have been an acceptable bypass for a major state highway, but not qualified as an Interstate route because it jogged around too much.  After AASHTO bought into the concept of an Interstate route to Morehead City, the zigzag was unacceptable and the James City commercial corridor lies right in the middle of the only workable route.

While I do agree that the 2014 proposal for the US-70 Bypass would not have been useful for New Bern traffic headed east, it would have been somewhat useful for folks living in the Triangle headed east.  I still don't find US-70 through James City and Havelock to be too much of a traffic problem, but US-17 to NC-58 is now a better route to the Bogue Banks (except for the eastern part of Atlantic Beach and Fort Macon, which are still faster going through Morehead City).

tolbs17

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 29, 2021, 09:20:56 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 28, 2021, 10:43:51 PM

I wouldn't think of it as garbage.  I would have been an acceptable bypass for a major state highway, but not qualified as an Interstate route because it jogged around too much.  After AASHTO bought into the concept of an Interstate route to Morehead City, the zigzag was unacceptable and the James City commercial corridor lies right in the middle of the only workable route.

While I do agree that the 2014 proposal for the US-70 Bypass would not have been useful for New Bern traffic headed east, it would have been somewhat useful for folks living in the Triangle headed east.  I still don't find US-70 through James City and Havelock to be too much of a traffic problem, but US-17 to NC-58 is now a better route to the Bogue Banks (except for the eastern part of Atlantic Beach and Fort Macon, which are still faster going through Morehead City).
And what should they do with the northern half where those stubs are?

The Ghostbuster

If the previously-proposed US 17 bypass of New Bern is not going to be constructed, maybe the stubs should be removed.

tolbs17

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 29, 2021, 09:46:22 PM
If the previously-proposed US 17 bypass of New Bern is not going to be constructed, maybe the stubs should be removed.
That was to replace the old NC 43 routing and have it concurrent with the new freeway. Can't find the link cause NCDOT updated their website and I don't know where the old project maps are but here's these

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/STIResults/H090081-B.pdf

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Project%20Breakdown%20Maps/R-2301.pdf

As of November 13, 2020, it's unfunded.

This is the construction cost - $146,000,000

It can still get built and I think it's still needed honestly.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 29, 2021, 09:57:29 PM
That was to replace the old NC 43 routing and have it concurrent with the new freeway.

I'm getting forgetful.  Just used NC-43 to get from Emerald Isle to Ahoskie last summer.  For some reason, I keep thinking that NC-43 is a continuation of NC-41.

Can't find the link cause NCDOT updated their website and I don't know where the old project maps are but here's these

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/STIResults/H090081-B.pdf

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Project%20Breakdown%20Maps/R-2301.pdf

As of November 13, 2020, it's unfunded.

This is the construction cost - $146,000,000

It can still get built and I think it's still needed honestly.

Indeed, this shows a new US-17 Bypass routed similar to NC-43.  With NCDOT, I wouldn't assume that this segment of NC-43 would necessarily go away.

Dirt Roads

That was to replace the old NC 43 routing and have it concurrent with the new freeway.

Can't find the link cause NCDOT updated their website...

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 28, 2021, 09:36:57 PM
What happened to this proposal?

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1202B_Report_2014.pdf

Not sure if you'all are getting these two confused.  The "stubs" are for the second freeway bypass of US-17 around the northwest side of New Bern.  They don't have anything to do with the cancelled plans for a southern US-70 Bypass around New Bern and James City, other than utilizing the existing US-17 Bypass southbound from Exit 410A.  Interestingly, the two projects combined would have made a monsterous three-quarters beltway around New Bern rivaling I-295 around Richmond.

sprjus4

Hardly rivaling Richmond, it would be about half of its length. It'd be closer to Greenville's beltway.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 30, 2021, 09:34:54 AM
Hardly rivaling Richmond, it would be about half of its length. It'd be closer to Greenville's beltway.

I might be getting the numbers wrong, but I've got 21 miles for the cancelled project from Drake Landing to the new US-17 Bypass at Pollocksville; 5 miles from there to US-70; and the proposed northwest US-17 Bypass is just a hair under 10 miles.  That total of 36 miles is certainly not as long as all of I-295, but the portion around Richmond is only about 28 miles (plus the 9 miles for the VA-895 Pocahontas Parkway that nobody uses except for beach trips).  But you are right, my post was misleading.

LM117

NCDOT has awarded a contract to upgrade US-70 to interstate standards between the Clayton Bypass and the Neuse River in Johnston County. Completion is expected by fall 2024.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-03-30-johnston-county-us-70-upgrade.aspx

tolbs17

Quote from: LM117 on March 30, 2021, 01:50:32 PM
NCDOT has awarded a contract to upgrade US-70 to interstate standards between the Clayton Bypass and the Neuse River in Johnston County. Completion is expected by fall 2024.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-03-30-johnston-county-us-70-upgrade.aspx
About damn time. Now I wonder if they would relocate I-95

tjcreasy

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 30, 2021, 10:13:28 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 30, 2021, 09:34:54 AM

I might be getting the numbers wrong, but I've got 21 miles for the cancelled project from Drake Landing to the new US-17 Bypass at Pollocksville; 5 miles from there to US-70; and the proposed northwest US-17 Bypass is just a hair under 10 miles.  That total of 36 miles is certainly not as long as all of I-295, but the portion around Richmond is only about 28 miles (plus the 9 miles for the VA-895 Pocahontas Parkway that nobody uses except for beach trips).  But you are right, my post was misleading.

The city-county dynamics are drastically different between NC and VA. The independent city of Richmond is small compared to its suburbs. Richmond's pure suburban growth is represented by Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover counties respectively. 288 is Richmond's other beltway.  If VA 288 connected to I-295, I-540 would be a good comparison NC wise. 

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tjcreasy on March 30, 2021, 02:47:03 PM
The city-county dynamics are drastically different between NC and VA. The independent city of Richmond is small compared to its suburbs. Richmond's pure suburban growth is represented by Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover counties respectively. 288 is Richmond's other beltway.  If VA 288 connected to I-295, I-540 would be a good comparison NC wise.

Sorry for all the confusion.  Just trying to point out that the two New Bern projects mentioned by tolbs17 (one cancelled forever) resembled a rotated mirror-image of a Richmond's 3/4 bypass with a tail.  And would have been pretty long for a town just shy of population 30,000.

sprjus4

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 30, 2021, 03:22:55 PM
Sorry for all the confusion.  Just trying to point out that the two New Bern projects mentioned by tolbs17 (one cancelled forever) resembled a rotated mirror-image of a Richmond's 3/4 bypass with a tail.  And would have been pretty long for a town just shy of population 30,000.
Hard to say any US-17 routing would be apart of a "beltway" for New Bern, it's more or less just a straight shot for the US-17 corridor that bypasses the city to the west, assuming the northern freeway is eventually constructed.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on March 30, 2021, 01:50:32 PM

In addition to this piece of good news, it appears the US-70 upgrade project between Dover and New Bern has been completed. It's no longer listed on NCDOT's Progress Report page.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.