News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finrod

Once I-42 is completed and signed from I-40 to Princeton at least, do you think North Carolina will move US 70 back to what's currently Business 70, formerly US 70?  Right now 70 is kind of a mess in Selma-Smithfield, since there's US 70, Business US 70, US 70 Bypass, and Alternate US 70 (signed 70-A) all in a small geographic area.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

snowc

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 04, 2021, 08:31:13 PM
Fortunately, AASHTO will not permit I-42 to be constructed with a Breezewood.  That being said, I'm wondering why NCDOT can't work with modifications to the infrastructure that is already there. 

The short version is that there appears to be only one movement that cannot be accommodated with the existing Bypass US-70 and Plain Ole (Kind-of-Bypass) US-70.  The movement from I-95 southbound to I-42 eastbound is going to need to be a greenfield route.  This can be threaded into the existing Exit 98 (Pine Level—Selma Road).  It appears that there is enough land at the eastern connection between Bypass US-70 and Plain Ole US-70 to tie-in for the other movements.  The ramp from Plain Ole US-70 westbound to I-95 northbound would need to be reconstructed for free-flow traffic.  Also, I also suspect that a new ramp from Plain Ole US-70 eastbound to I-95 northbound will be somewhat complex, since there would need to be some modifications for access to US-70A and the former JR Cigars warehouse complex. 

The long version was posted a few days ago and disappeared.  It may have showed up under a different thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

(Sorry, it just seems like yesterday when Plain Ole Kind-of-Bypass US-70 was completed.  I know I'm getting old when the bypass of the bypass of the bypass is being discussed).
Good. No need to get on a tolled segment of I70!

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Finrod on April 05, 2021, 04:04:51 AM
Once I-42 is completed and signed from I-40 to Princeton at least, do you think North Carolina will move US 70 back to what's currently Business 70, formerly US 70?  Right now 70 is kind of a mess in Selma-Smithfield, since there's US 70, Business US 70, US 70 Bypass, and Alternate US 70 (signed 70-A) all in a small geographic area.

I certainly can't speak for NCDOT, but I doubt that they will request US-70 back onto Business US-70 unless something completely eliminates the need for Plain Ole Kinda-Bypass US-70.  Smithfield and Selma have fought over the routing of US-70 for generations, and I think they are happy with this "down the middle" routing.  However, one thing that might work is to extend US-70A westward on US-70, allowing US-70 to be rerouted concurrent with I-42 here or rerouted as you have proposed.

tolbs17

I'm guessing I-42 can be signed from I-40 to I-95 once that part gets completed.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 05, 2021, 01:30:12 PM
I'm guessing I-42 can be signed from I-40 to I-95 once that part gets completed.

You are probably correct, but there is still the project to grade separate several intersections through Wilson's Mill just west of there.

tolbs17

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 05, 2021, 01:40:38 PM

You are probably correct, but there is still the project to grade separate several intersections through Wilson's Mill just west of there.
That's what they are doing.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 05, 2021, 01:52:20 PM

We're talking two separate projects to complete I-42 between I-40 and I-95.  The one we are discussing is to relocate I-95 in order to construct a fully-functional interchange with I-42.  That one will probably be completed after the other one to grade separate through Wilson's Mills.  If so, you are correct that NCDOT will probably be allowed to sign I-42 up through I-95.  There's also a possibility that the I-42 grade separations from Smithfield/Selma through Princeton to Goldsboro would be completed before the I-95 interchange.  If so, I also see no reason why AASHTO would object to the signing of I-42 well beyond I-95.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 05, 2021, 06:04:24 PM

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 05, 2021, 01:52:20 PM

We're talking two separate projects to complete I-42 between I-40 and I-95.  The one we are discussing is to relocate I-95 in order to construct a fully-functional interchange with I-42.  That one will probably be completed after the other one to grade separate through Wilson's Mills.  If so, you are correct that NCDOT will probably be allowed to sign I-42 up through I-95.  There's also a possibility that the I-42 grade separations from Smithfield/Selma through Princeton to Goldsboro would be completed before the I-95 interchange.  If so, I also see no reason why AASHTO would object to the signing of I-42 well beyond I-95.
We also need new bridges over the Neuse River, or at least a new westbound bridge. Is this part of the new Wilson's Mills project?
https://goo.gl/maps/obAFFqMx6xkJYM7W8

Dirt Roads

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 05, 2021, 06:15:15 PM
We also need new bridges over the Neuse River, or at least a new westbound bridge. Is this part of the new Wilson's Mills project?
https://goo.gl/maps/obAFFqMx6xkJYM7W8

You are correct.  The project looked like it connected the two freeway segments, but the Oak Street RIRO east of the Neuse River is not part of Wilson's Mill project.  Which means that this section would not be sufficient to sign I-42 up to I-95.  The US-70 Corridor has not been updated to show the Wilson's Mill project, so there may already other active that finish off this section.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think when Interstate 42 is fully signed, that they will sign the entire Interstate 40-to-New Bern section at once? Or might 42 be signed in segments, like Interstate 87 currently is? Also, what is stopping individual segments of US 70 from being signed as Interstate 42 now, such as the portion from Interstate 40 to Business Route 70 (Exit 326); or the Goldsboro Bypass segment (Exit 350 to Exit 372)? Both segments do connect with another Interstate. They probably wouldn't sign the Dover-to-New Bern segments until it was fully up to freeway standards between the Goldsboro Bypass and the starting segment at Dover. Or maybe they'd hold out until both the Goldsboro-to-Dover segment is upgraded, and the new segment south of New Bern is built.

tolbs17

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 05, 2021, 08:25:19 PM
Does anyone think when Interstate 42 is fully signed, that they will sign the entire Interstate 40-to-New Bern section at once? Or might 42 be signed in segments, like Interstate 87 currently is? Also, what is stopping individual segments of US 70 from being signed as Interstate 42 now, such as the portion from Interstate 40 to Business Route 70 (Exit 326); or the Goldsboro Bypass segment (Exit 350 to Exit 372)? Both segments do connect with another Interstate. They probably wouldn't sign the Dover-to-New Bern segments until it was fully up to freeway standards between the Goldsboro Bypass and the starting segment at Dover. Or maybe they'd hold out until both the Goldsboro-to-Dover segment is upgraded, and the new segment south of New Bern is built.
My guess is either because of the NC-540 interchange being reconstructed or cause of NC-42 (or both).

imo i wish I-42 was signed now.....

I'm pretty sure there's no way to renumber NC-42 since it's very long.

LM117

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 05, 2021, 01:02:41 PM

I certainly can't speak for NCDOT, but I doubt that they will request US-70 back onto Business US-70 unless something completely eliminates the need for Plain Ole Kinda-Bypass US-70.  Smithfield and Selma have fought over the routing of US-70 for generations, and I think they are happy with this "down the middle" routing.  However, one thing that might work is to extend US-70A westward on US-70, allowing US-70 to be rerouted concurrent with I-42 here or rerouted as you have proposed.

Personally, I'd like to see that area cleaned up.

1.) Get rid of US-70 Bypass once I-42 takes over.

2.) Get rid of US-70 Alternate.

3.) Eliminate the stretch of US-70 Business that goes through Clayton, put US-70 back on that alignment, and sign the Clayton Bypass solely as I-42.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

As of right now, it's looking like they'll probably sign it all at once. NCDOT doesn't seem interested in signing it in segments for some reason, which is very strange, given how much political weight that corridor carries compared to that of I-87, as well as traffic.

There's nothing stopping NCDOT from throwing I-42 shields on the Goldsboro Bypass except NCDOT. FHWA gave them permission to sign it back in early 2019, but for whatever reason, they still haven't done so. When I emailed NCDOT about the timetable for signing it, the project engineer for that division responded and spoke as if they don't have permission yet. This was after NCDOT's Chief Engineer at the time, Tim Little, told the US-70 Corridor Commission that they got the greenlight to sign it.

As for the Clayton Bypass, as far as I know FHWA hasn't approved signing it yet, but NCDOT could probably get permission if they wanted to since it connects to I-40 and a US Route, just like how the Goldsboro Bypass connects to I-795 and US-70.

tolbs17

Quote from: LM117 on April 06, 2021, 06:31:50 AM

As of right now, it's looking like they'll probably sign it all at once. NCDOT doesn't seem interested in signing it in segments for some reason, which is very strange, given how much political weight that corridor carries compared to that of I-87, as well as traffic.

There's nothing stopping NCDOT from throwing I-42 shields on the Goldsboro Bypass except NCDOT. FHWA gave them permission to sign it back in early 2019, but for whatever reason, they still haven't done so. When I emailed NCDOT about the timetable for signing it, the project engineer for that division responded and spoke as if they don't have permission yet. This was after NCDOT's Chief Engineer at the time, Tim Little, told the US-70 Corridor Commission that they got the greenlight to sign it.

As for the Clayton Bypass, as far as I know FHWA hasn't approved signing it yet, but NCDOT could probably get permission if they wanted to since it connects to I-40 and a US Route, just like how the Goldsboro Bypass connects to I-795 and US-70.
Seems like a good idea to just sign it all once. Seems like they are doing the same to US-264.

sturmde

If I were NCDOT, I'd eliminate NC 42 as soon as possible:
Replace all of NC 42 with an eastern extension of NC 142.  (Easier to add a 1 in front of things.)
Current NC 142 between NC 111 and NC 142 changes to NC 442. (Changing a 1 to a 4)
Eliminate NC 42 duplex with US 13
Ahoskie S. Academy St, change to NC 350 (an older number along this segment)
Eliminate duplex with US 13
From Powellsville (US 13) to Colerain (NC 45), change to NC 425. (suggesting 42 to 45)
As a bonus, extend NC 142 eastward along Old Lexington Rd to end at US 64.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sturmde on April 06, 2021, 03:37:48 PM
Replace all of NC 42 with an eastern extension of NC 142.  (Easier to add a 1 in front of things.)
Current NC 142 between NC 111 and NC 142 changes to NC 442. (Changing a 1 to a 4)
From Powellsville (US 13) to Colerain (NC 45), change to NC 425. (suggesting 42 to 45)

A simpler idea could be to renumber NC 42 as NC 44, though I don't object to getting rid of NC 42 north/east of the Roanoke River.

The Ghostbuster

If North Carolina was going to renumber state highways 42, 73 and 87 to accommodate the Interstate designations of the same number, they would have already done so. NC 42, 73 and 87 will likely remain with their present numbers.

tolbs17

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 06, 2021, 09:01:45 PM
If North Carolina was going to renumber state highways 42, 73 and 87 to accommodate the Interstate designations of the same number, they would have already done so. NC 42, 73 and 87 will likely remain with their present numbers.
But, NC 264 existed before.

Strider

NCDOT is not going to renumber NC 42.

tolbs17

Quote from: Strider on April 07, 2021, 01:32:31 AM

NCDOT is not going to renumber NC 42.
And that's why they wanted I-36 in the first place.

Mapmikey

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 06, 2021, 09:21:20 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 06, 2021, 09:01:45 PM
But, NC 264 existed before.

NC 264 came about in 1941, after US 264 existed, specifically as an extension of it.  AASHO turned down a request to make it US 264. 

I have seen a photo of NC 264 posted as TEMPORARY NC 264 which makes me wonder if NC 264 was posted throughout as such, anticipating the upgrade.  When the upgrade didn't happen they renumbered NC 264 as NC 98 and NC 96 in 1952.

North Carolina used to specifically renumber to avoid coincidence interstate numbers but that doesn't mean they always will going forward.  It appears they have done away with that as an official policy.

Finrod

Quote from: LM117 on April 06, 2021, 06:10:12 AM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 05, 2021, 01:02:41 PM

Personally, I'd like to see that area cleaned up.

1.) Get rid of US-70 Bypass once I-42 takes over.

2.) Get rid of US-70 Alternate.

3.) Eliminate the stretch of US-70 Business that goes through Clayton, put US-70 back on that alignment, and sign the Clayton Bypass solely as I-42.

I'm all for that, except I'd keep 70-A, and extend it west over what's currently 70, across 95, to what's now the west 70-70 Bypass split.  It would extend 70-A less than two miles, and it would mean all the businesses in that stretch can still say they're on a US highway.  East of what's currently the 70 and 70-A intersection near I-95 has no driveways or other access so that can just become ramps to I-42 east and from I-42 west.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on October 19, 2017, 03:00:53 AM
Part of the Goldsboro Bypass has been named the John H. Kerr III Highway.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/10/18/governor_to_attend_naming_ceremony/

QuoteA ceremony dedicating a section of the U.S. 70 Goldsboro Bypass as the John H. Kerr III Highway will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 3.

Gov. Roy Cooper is expected to attend the ceremony to be held in Courtroom No. 1 in the Wayne County Courthouse.

Kerr's sons, John H. Kerr IV and James Y. Kerr II, will speak.

Wayne County Commissioner Wayne Aycock will speak on behalf of the county.

The 5-mile section of bypass to be dedicated in memory of Kerr stretches from the highway's interchange with Interstate 795 to U.S. 13.

The ceremony was announced Tuesday morning during the commissioners' meeting.

The late Kerr, one of the most powerful members of the state General Assembly, championed improvements to state infrastructure including the bypass and the I-795 designation for a four-lane U.S. 117 between Goldsboro and Wilson.

Gus Tulloss of Rocky Mount, who represents District Four on the state Board of Transportation, made the motion in June to name the section in memory of Kerr.

The DOT Board unanimously approved the motion.

Born in Warrenton, Kerr was a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, president of the junior class, treasurer of the student body and president of the Order of the Grail.

After receiving his bachelor's degree, Kerr attended the University of North Carolina Law School, receiving a law degree with honors in 1961.

He was first elected to the state House of Representatives in 1986, serving three terms before being elected to the state Senate, where he served from 1992 until 2008.

In their resolution to the state seeking the designation, commissioners praised Kerr for his dedication on focusing attention on the need to bolster eastern North Carolina's infrastructure -- including the need for improvements for water, sewer, natural gas and roads.

The resolution added that Kerr dedicated his life to his family, Madison Avenue Baptist Church, numerous boards, civic organizations -- causes that touched the lives of the people and communities in North Carolina and especially in eastern North Carolina.

Kerr received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine, the state's highest civilian honor, and a plaque of appreciation from the N.C. Rural Economic Development Center for his leadership in providing financial assistance on water and sewer projects for struggling communities across the state.

Another politician is getting his name on the bypass. The mayor of Goldsboro, Chuck Allen, will be getting his name on the section between US-13 and Beston Road.

https://www.goldsborodailynews.com/2021/04/20/mayor-allen-given-several-honors-including-order-of-the-long-leaf-pine/

Though that specific article doesn't mention what health issue he has, another recent article mentioned that he had been diagnosed with brain cancer in late 2019.

https://newoldnorth.com/2021/03/15/mayor-taking-leave-of-absence-to-focus-on-cancer-battle/#:~:text=Not%20even%20two%20weeks%20after,of%20brain%20cancer%20there%20is.

The Ghostbuster

I think highways should only be named after politicians following their departure from office, or after their deaths. Otherwise, it seems a bit egotistic to me. Example: U.S. Rep. Bud Shuster numbering and naming Interstate 99 after himself.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 20, 2021, 12:48:50 PM
I think highways should only be named after politicians following their departure from office, or after their deaths. Otherwise, it seems a bit egotistic to me. Example: U.S. Rep. Bud Shuster numbering and naming Interstate 99 after himself.

Shuster has been retired since 2001; his son Bill, who succeeded him, himself retired in 2019.  While Shuster was responsible for the designation and funding of I-99 (at least the section from Bedford to I-80), the actual honorary naming of the facility was done through the auspices of the state of Pennsylvania via entreaties from local political entities (of which the Shusters were members prior to their Congressional elevations).   But somehow I don't think the Shuster family lodged any objections to that naming. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.