Regional Boards > Mountain West

UDOT wants to make US 89 a freeway from I-15 to I-84

(1/11) > >>

Kniwt:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2017/08/24/udot-seeks-to-convert-us-89-into-a-freeway-in-davis-county/

--- Quote ---The Utah Department of Transportation is proposing to convert U.S. 89 into a full freeway in Davis County to connect Interstates 15 and 84.

That preferred alternative in a new draft environmental study released Thursday is designed to relieve severe and worsening congestion on the 10-mile corridor, as well as to improve safety and even speed up east-west traffic that crosses it.

But an opposition group says putting a freeway in what is now almost an entirely residential area will attract commercialization that will ruin communities. Neighbors prefer widening nearby Interstate 15 instead similar to what happened in Utah County.
--- End quote ---

UDOT project website: http://www.udot.utah.gov/us89/

Henry:
Isn't that a little too close to I-15? If anything, I'd rather see the Interstate widened instead.

froggie:
^ It's largely urban/suburban area and 89 is already an arterial.  Traffic volumes generally justify a freeway.  Plus that segment of I-15 is already 6+ lanes and the southern part of it would be tricky to widen further.

History tidbit:  UDOT requested Interstate mileage for this segment of 89 when the 1968 highway act added 1,500 miles to the Interstate system.

sparker:

--- Quote from: froggie on August 25, 2017, 10:36:15 AM ---History tidbit:  UDOT requested Interstate mileage for this segment of 89 when the 1968 highway act added 1,500 miles to the Interstate system.

--- End quote ---

And those were the last chargeable additions to the system; the '73 Title 23 revisions essentially put a stop to further funded additions (although "Howard-Cramer" mileage shifts and adjustments were able to avail themselves of funding).  It's not likely that there will be a similar push today re this segment of US 89 -- there's just no point!

The Ghostbuster:
What would the right-of-way impacts be if UDOT went this route? How many homes and businesses would have to be demolished in order to complete the upgrades to the corridor?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version