Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Virginia

<< < (1274/1331) > >>

WillWeaverRVA:

--- Quote from: Mapmikey on June 24, 2022, 10:40:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mapmikey on December 11, 2019, 03:41:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mapmikey on October 15, 2019, 08:09:10 PM ---Route changes coming:

2.  A 2019 General Assembly Act (to facilitate pedestrian safety at the seat of government) requires the CTB to add to the primary system:

* Bank St from 9th to 14th
* 10th from Main to Bank
* 12th from Main to Bank
* Governor St from Main to Bank
It did not indicate in the presentation (pg. 6 at http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2019/oct/ctb_workshop_meeting_oct_2019.pdf) what the designation would be.  Good chance it becomes part of existing VA 318 which serves the state capitol already.  These segments will be connected to the rest of the primary system because Main St is part of US 60/VA 147.

--- End quote ---

The CTB did add these segments to the primary highway system today. They did not specify a route designation.

--- End quote ---

The arcgis site confirms these street additions are part of VA 318

--- End quote ---

Interestingly, this map also shows US 250 ending at 23rd St (in an overlap with "Urban Road 60", which extends from US 60 along 21st St, then to Broad St, then running along Government Rd back to US 60).

The map also shows eastbound US 33 turning off Broad onto Hancock and ending at Leigh (VA 33), while westbound VA 33 turns off Leigh onto Harrison to end at Broad. There is a note on the US 33 segment on Hancock saying "cleaned gaps/conflicts".

D-Dey65:

--- Quote from: Rothman on June 14, 2022, 10:01:09 PM ---I think one's origin/destination matters as well as one being willing to spend more hours bypassing than they would just staying on I-95.

NC is a big place.  Starting off in the Outer Banks and heading out to I-81 is pretty severe.

--- End quote ---
Makes sense to me. There have been very few times I felt I needed to take anything but I-95 (with the exception of some nearby US Routes, not to mention I-295 and the New Jersey Turnpike) to get to the New York Tri-State Area from Florida. The one time I was even on I-81 to bypass I-95 was at the recommendation from a friend of my father's, who lived in Atlanta at the time. We took I-75 into Georgia, leaving only at Macon for I-475. then took I-285 to I-85 in the Atlanta Metro Area. From there we went up I-85 to I-77 and finally to I-81. Our way to NYC from there was I-80 to I-95 in Teaneck. It was a longer way around, but we saw some interesting sites along the way. As far as I'm concerned, the one reason I'd even want to go to I-81 in Virginia would be to go to the Virginia Museum of Transportation.

D-Dey65:
Anyway. I don't remember whether I mentioned this in the past, but I drove through Northern Virginia on my return trip from the November 2021 vacation to NYC. The reason I did this was because I wanted some contemporary pictures of the US 1 Occoquan River Bridges for Wikimedia Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:U.S._Route_1_Occoquan_River_Bridges
Until I added those contemporary photos to the commons, the only pictures available were black and white pics from The Library of Virginia in the aftermath of Hurricane Agnes in 1972. More contemporary pics are still needed.

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: Rothman on June 14, 2022, 10:01:09 PM ---I think one's origin/destination matters as well as one being willing to spend more hours bypassing than they would just staying on I-95.

NC is a big place.  Starting off in the Outer Banks and heading out to I-81 is pretty severe.

--- End quote ---

But then you have several other options to avoid much of I-95, such as the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel (US-13) or the Coleman Bridge (US-17) to get to the Nice Bridge (US-301).  Of course, when I lived in Virginia (two different times, Richmond and NoVa) I took a number of alternative routes to the Outer Banks (but we were trying to avoid I-64 more than we were trying to avoid I-95).  Anywhoosit, all of this discussion is proving both that I-95 is worth avoiding sometimes and also that VDOT has a captive audience of out-of-state drivers that are going to continue to use I-95 regardless of whether most of the route is limited to only three lanes in one direction at certain times.

plain:
Here's that picture of the I-664 interchange construction I mentioned.

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version