News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Japan: R= curve signs

Started by mcmc, December 28, 2021, 05:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcmc

Saw these signs all over the mountain expressways in the south of Kyushu. What the heck does R=###m mean?

westerninterloper

I believe it is "radius", the length of the curve.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Rothman

Quote from: westerninterloper on December 28, 2021, 06:06:22 PM
Radius isn't the length of the curve. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CtrlAltDel

Not so much the length of the curve, but the curve's sharpness. The smaller the number, the tighter the curve.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 28, 2021, 06:46:28 PM

Not so much the length of the curve, but the curve's sharpness. The smaller the number, the tighter the curve.
That's more like it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mcmc

Still doesn't completely compute to me. In simple English, what message is "R=500m" trying to convey?

CtrlAltDel

The radius of a circle, or arc thereof, is the distance from that circle to its center. A smaller arc curves more sharply than a larger one. Thus, the blue curve is gentler and easier to negotiate than the green one. "R=500m" means a curve with a radius of 500 meters, which is on the lower side of acceptable curvatures for a high-speed route.

State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kurumi

Below is "速度注意" -- pay attention to your speed. The context is definitely "sharp curve, don't take it too fast".
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

mcmc

Thanks for the graphic, CtrlAltDel!

I'm proof that this sign wouldn't fly in the U.S.

formulanone

There's a famous curve at Suzuka Circuit named 130R; it's taken nearly flat-out by drivers.

Now I know how it got its name...

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: formulanone on December 28, 2021, 08:24:43 PM
it's taken nearly flat-out by drivers.

Now it's my turn to plead ignorance. What does it mean to take a curve flat-out?

formulanone

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 28, 2021, 08:33:22 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 28, 2021, 08:24:43 PM
it's taken nearly flat-out by drivers.

Now it's my turn to plead ignorance. What does it mean to take a curve flat-out?

Flat-out: driving through a corner without slowing down or downshifting.

Technically, it's not too unusual for most our our daily driving at an average of 55-70 miles an hour, but much less so for a sharp turn at 150-180 mph.

Scott5114

This seems like it's basically doing the same thing as advisory speed plaques in the US do, but assuming that the driver has enough experience with their particular vehicle to determine a safe speed through a curve of a given radius. Neat idea, but I'm not sure it would work too well in the US.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

I'm sure state DOT engineers take curve radii into consideration as well as type of pavement and banking when they assign maximum safe speeds to a curve here.

Rothman

Quote from: Road Hog on December 31, 2021, 09:47:51 PM
I'm sure state DOT engineers take curve radii into consideration as well as type of pavement and banking when they assign maximum safe speeds to a curve here.
This is true.  At least when I interned wifh FHWA's Office of Safety, I assisted with revising such recommendations.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on January 01, 2022, 01:29:09 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on December 31, 2021, 09:47:51 PM
This is true.  At least when I interned wifh FHWA's Office of Safety, I assisted with revising such recommendations.
Ine of limitations here is that,  for a tight radius urban highway, there are 4 advisory limits to choose from - 55,50, 45, maybe 40. 35-30-25 for ramps are ok. Oh, it must be safe for a 18 wheeler, right?
Radius info relays not limitation - which can easily be capricious - but underlying reality to consider. While ommitting details about other factors, driver experience of other posted curve easily tells how serious the message is.

Scott5114

The problem with a curve warning speed is that it doesn't take different vehicle types into consideration. A safe speed on a curve is going to be different for a heavily-loaded semi versus a sedan.

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 01, 2022, 11:43:05 PM
The problem with a curve warning speed is that it doesn't take different vehicle types into consideration. A safe speed on a curve is going to be different for a heavily-loaded semi versus a sedan.
A counterargument would be speed difference is an issue,  and sedan breaking in a curve because a semi in front cannot go to fast is a real problem

Scott5114

True. But on the other hand... calculating a curve warning speed means you have to pick some type of vehicle as being representative of the average vehicle driving on the road. What the most representative vehicle is, and what its capabilities are, will change over time. I think I remember reading that in some states the formulas for calculating curve speeds were drawn up in the 1960s, before power steering existed, and have never been updated.

The upshot of this is, in my experience, curve warning speeds are so hilariously out of step with my car's capabilities that I basically ignore them unless they have an alarmingly low number like 15 (and even then, a sharp-turn sign is bound to accompany them and be just as much of an indicator to slow down).

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 03, 2022, 02:39:19 AM
True. But on the other hand... calculating a curve warning speed means you have to pick some type of vehicle as being representative of the average vehicle driving on the road. What the most representative vehicle is, and what its capabilities are, will change over time. I think I remember reading that in some states the formulas for calculating curve speeds were drawn up in the 1960s, before power steering existed, and have never been updated.

The upshot of this is, in my experience, curve warning speeds are so hilariously out of step with my car's capabilities that I basically ignore them unless they have an alarmingly low number like 15 (and even then, a sharp-turn sign is bound to accompany them and be just as much of an indicator to slow down).
Depends on the state in the USA. Some states like PA ludicrously underpost and can be ignored. Some like TN really do need to be heeded.

formulanone

Quote from: Alps on January 03, 2022, 02:52:40 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 03, 2022, 02:39:19 AM

Depends on the state in the USA. Some states like PA ludicrously underpost and can be ignored. Some like TN really do need to be heeded.

I've noticed that some places just suggest a speed 5-10-15-20-etc miles an hour lower than the posted Speed Limit sign, which it a pretty good indicator of how sharp the curve is. So the amount of preparation for braking or downshifting can be calculated in kind...but there's also many routes that do not bother with suggested speed limits, let alone posting (or re-posting) curve warning signs.

skluth

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2021, 04:59:03 PM
This seems like it's basically doing the same thing as advisory speed plaques in the US do, but assuming that the driver has enough experience with their particular vehicle to determine a safe speed through a curve of a given radius. Neat idea, but I'm not sure it would work too well in the US.
There would be learning curve for motorists, but I can see this being more useful than the generic American "Slow Down Sharp Curve Ahead" sign. Often there's an additional sign with a recommended max speed in the US but that's not as informational.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.