News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Changes to Business US 71 NWA

Started by US71, May 17, 2022, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

ADOT is slowly whittling away  US 71B aka  Business US 71 is being whittled away.  ARDOT is ceding sections of old 71 back to their respective cities.

- 71B north of AR 12  in Bentonville is now simply Sam Walton Blvd

- 71B in Fayetteville has been "replaced" and is now College Ave, Archibald Yell Blvd and S School Ave.  Fayetteville is also making some superficial changes including replacing some of the continuous Left Turn lanes with plants.

I've not checked Bentonville in a few weeks, so I'm not sure what they have planned. I may try to get up there this week, weather permitting.

71B in Ft Smith has been tagged for elimination, but that's contingent on ARDOT making drainage improvements first.

The reasoning seem to be that ARDOT has too many highways with the completion of I-49 and they are looking to save a little money. 

IMO, they could do that by eliminating half-mile state maintained "corporate driveways" but that's been disgust discussed ad nauseum.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

The Ghostbuster

Couldn't they have just changed all the Business US 71s into Business Interstate 49s, like in Missouri?

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 17, 2022, 09:36:45 PM
Couldn't they have just changed all the Business US 71s into Business Interstate 49s, like in Missouri?

There was a Business I-30 at Little Rock and (I think) Benton at one time before ARDOT "downgraded" them to US 67.

Changing 71B to Business 49 would still leave the roads under state authority.  Removing the designation reverts the roads to city maintained streets, as opposed to state maintained roadways.

Road Hog

Almost* the entirety of old US 67 north of I-40 was changed to AR 367 as the new 67 freeway was extended north. Before long it should the the longest state 300-series state highway in the country.

* The portion of old 67 south of Jacksonville was changed to AR 161 instead. The portion of old 67 between Jacksonville and just south of the Pulaski-Lonoke County line was ceded back to Pulaski County for some reason. Pretty curvy and narrow, as most Arkansas highways were and are.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on May 18, 2022, 07:50:03 PM
Almost* the entirety of old US 67 north of I-40 was changed to AR 367 as the new 67 freeway was extended north. Before long it should the the longest state 300-series state highway in the country.

* The portion of old 67 south of Jacksonville was changed to AR 161 instead. The portion of old 67 between Jacksonville and just south of the Pulaski-Lonoke County line was ceded back to Pulaski County for some reason. Pretty curvy and narrow, as most Arkansas highways were and are.

The shortlived 471 was to replace "old" US71 north of Alma before locals complained.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.