News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best and worst interchange in the US

Started by thspfc, May 25, 2022, 08:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

Best is hard. What would be the best if it existed would be a four-level stack with url=https://goo.gl/maps/ruQKfnX6igWybw49A]these sexy curved-bottom bridges[/url]. Alas, the best we have has a pair of flyovers that don't almost bump each other like they're supposed to, plus one loop ramp and one underground ramp for the other movements. There's also this one nearby: the beam bottoms aren't as round, but it's more complete, and it has the bump.

CoreySamson

Quote from: MoiraPrime on June 01, 2022, 01:51:26 PM
I think this intersection is absolutely awful in just how obnoxious it is.

The Intersection of I-10, Clearview Parkway, and Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie, LA.

The intersection overall:

Close ups...

Veterans/Clearview:

Note, the orange/red parts of clearview are an elevated bridge over veterans.

I-10/Clearview:

Openstreetmap link:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/29.9992/-90.1543
Why the hate? I think it's a marvelous improvement on a cloverleaf with how it removes the weave on Veterans. I actually contemplated putting it as one of my favorites.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Revive 755

Quote from: skluth on May 26, 2022, 12:40:19 PM
Illinois is notorious for its freeway-to-freeway cloverleafs. I-39/80, I-74/80, I-57/74, and I-55/72 all suck the big one but none are as bad as I-55/80 near Joliet. It's not the worst interchange in the country, but it's certainly one of the dumbest and most underpowered.

You didn't mention the I-74/I-280/US 6 cloverleaf where mainline EB I-74 goes through a loop ramp.

Quote from: thspfcI never thought the I-39/90 split was that bad, but I haven't driven I-39 south of there so I don't know the full story.
The WB to SB ramp is low speed and then enters SB I-39 on the left side.  Getting to the Harrison Avenue exits can get interesting.

SeriesE

I nominate the East Los Angeles Interchange complex as the worst

IowaTraveler

For one of the worst, I nominate the I-380/IA 100 volleyball/3-level diamond interchange in Cedar Rapids, Iowa for being a freeway-to-freeway interchange with no free-flowing ramps. In addition, some directions don't even have direct access to the interchange, so you have to drive on frontage roads to even get to or from it. As a result, the various movements through the interchange require going through anywhere from 1 to 5 stoplights.

For the best interchanges in terms of appearance from an aerial view, I really like symmetrical turbine interchanges like the I-27/US 87/I-40 interchange in Amarillo, Texas.

Another interchange that's satisfying to look at from an aerial view is the US 41/US 50/US 150 directional T interchange in Vincennes, Indiana with nearly perfect radial symmetry, which is unusual for a 3-way interchange.

webny99

Quote from: kurumi on May 26, 2022, 11:04:28 AM
I took the title literally and tried to find one horrible but awesome interchange.

I like that!

My nomination for "best AND worst" would be I-490/I-590/NY 590, the Can of Worms interchange. It works remarkably well given the complexities, including the railroad and NY 96 crossing through the interchange area, plus closely-spaced interchanges on all four approaches (Blossom Rd, Penfield Rd, Highland Ave, Winton Rd). And from a bird's-eye view, it looks pretty good too.

At the same time, the signage is by far the worst of any major junction in the region (it's aging/peeling in spots, lacks proper controls, uses diagrammatics instead of APL's, and doesn't provide enough advance warning), and it's still a major pain to pass through the interchange at rush hour - especially southbound in the AM and east/westbound in the PM. And you could certainly argue the ramps between north and east need two lanes each, but widening and/or realignment is extremely unlikely given the many complicating factors.

DJ Particle

Quote from: IowaTraveler on June 05, 2022, 11:58:21 AM
For one of the worst, I nominate the I-380/IA 100 volleyball/3-level diamond interchange in Cedar Rapids, Iowa for being a freeway-to-freeway interchange with no free-flowing ramps. In addition, some directions don't even have direct access to the interchange, so you have to drive on frontage roads to even get to or from it. As a result, the various movements through the interchange require going through anywhere from 1 to 5 stoplights.

To be fair, that's where IA-100's freeway portion ends.   :-D  Also, it wasn't a freeway to the west until just recently.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.