News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hello from northern CA!

Started by Mikeroburst, August 11, 2010, 03:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeroburst

I'm Mike from San Jose, CA. I've been visiting aaroads.com for years, but just came across the forum a couple months ago. After enough time lurking in the forums here and killing time at work reading Jake's blog, I figured I might as well create an account.

My roadgeeking areas of interest are road trips in general, old signs, old alignments, and photography of all of the above. I've been a displaced midwesterner (MI and IN) for about 6 years now, so I'll probably be bouncing between those regional boards too. Looking forward to posting!
Mike

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheStranger

Welcome!  Nice to see another NorCal poster in the midst!
Chris Sampang

KEK Inc.

I was born in San Jose and lived there full-time for 12 years.  For the past 5 years, I've lived near San Jose intermittently, but I schooled up in Washington state.

Welcome!  :)
Take the road less traveled.

BigMattFromTexas

Welcome, from West-Central Texas.
BigMatt

kurumi

Welcome! NoCal represent. (We should push for a shoe tax (Valley Fair) to fund the 880/280/StevensCreek interchange revamp. We could probably get a 4-level stack out of it.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Mikeroburst

Thanks all for the kind welcome!

Quote from: kurumi on August 11, 2010, 09:08:32 PM
Welcome! NoCal represent. (We should push for a shoe tax (Valley Fair) to fund the 880/280/StevensCreek interchange revamp. We could probably get a 4-level stack out of it.)

Haha you're not kidding. I get to drive through it on 280 every day on the way to work. That interchange is brutal on weekends, not to mention the overflow traffic that clogs the Saratoga and Lawrence exits.  The pigeon infestation under the flyovers is a nice touch too :angry:. The VTA "improvement" project should help if it ever gets off the ground, but I agree that the whole thing needs to be replaced.
Mike

KEK Inc.

I think the I-880 corridor in San Jose needs to be completely revamped.  SR-87 doesn't have enough ROW for a decent interchange, though.  Also, I'm not sure how much ROW is up for grabs with US-101 and I-880, but that intersection is dated and dangerous.
Take the road less traveled.

TheStranger

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 12, 2010, 02:41:19 PM
I think the I-880 corridor in San Jose needs to be completely revamped.  SR-87 doesn't have enough ROW for a decent interchange, though.  Also, I'm not sure how much ROW is up for grabs with US-101 and I-880, but that intersection is dated and dangerous.

Here's one way to revamp that whole area that I just thought of, though I'm not even sure there's much ROW for this:

1. Remove the existing ramp from 101 south to 880 south, and the cloverleaf ramp from 880 north to 101 north

2. Add a ramp from 87 south to 880 south, and one small flyover from 880 north to 87 north.  (The 880n-87n movement would supplant the 880n-101n movement)

3. Remove the cloverleaf from 880 south to 101 south and use the newly-freed right of way on the southwest quadrant to create a flyover for that movement.  

This still doesn't solve the issue of no movement from 880 south to 87 south from and 87 north to 880 north - the latter is easy to create with existing right of way, the former much more difficult.
Chris Sampang

Ian

I have family not too far from you, they live in Mountain View. Welcome to the forum!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.