News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Freeway exits whose signs have changed, even when the things they access haven't

Started by KCRoadFan, June 11, 2023, 07:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

A few Nevada ones I'm aware of:
  • I-580/US 395 Exit 67 (now 35) went from "Glendale Ave" to "E Second St / Glendale Ave" around 2010, despite no underlying changes. Second St becomes Glendale Ave upon going from Reno to Sparks, but the city border is actually about a quarter mile east of the interchange so the road is actually Second St at the interchange. The change introduced more accuracy.
  • I-80 Exit 16 changed from "Victorian Ave / E 4th St" to "Prater Way / E 4th St" when I-80 was rebuilt through Reno-Sparks about 10 years ago, with no underlying change at the time. Similar to the above, Fourth St turns into Prater Way going from Reno to Sparks, at the Galletti Way intersection just west of the interchange, so the street name at the interchange itself was actually "Prater Way" and not signed from the freeway or very well on the road itself. (A few hundred feet east of the interchange was the intersection of Prater Way & Victorian Ave, with the main eastbound traffic being funneled to continue onto Victorian instead of along Prater [a potential holdover from the days when Fourth and Victorian carried US 40]. A few years after the freeway signs changed, a rehab project along Prater changed the intersection of Prater & Victorian to realign Victorian to tee off from Prater and signage along the street is more clear.)
  • I-15 Exit 122 went from "East Mesquite" to "Pioneer Blvd / Sandhill Blvd" without any changes to the street circa 2009-2010. (A similar change happened around the same time at the Exit 120 "West Mesquite" interchange, which is now "Falcon Ridge Pkwy / Mesquite Blvd", but that change was prompted by the interchange being reconstructed to a dogbone to provide connection to the then newly-constructed Falcon Ridge Pkwy.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

zachary_amaryllis

Close to me: I-25, Exit 262.

Currently signed 392 E/W Windsor / Fort Collins.

Before they 392-ized it west of I-25, it was just CR 30 (I think), but still went all the way to 287 (College). Back then, it was just signed 392 East -Windsor. But people still exited there if they were going to the south end of Fort Collins.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

ran4sh

In 2003-2004 when all the signs were replaced on Georgia 10 Loop (the Athens bypass/beltway), most signs remained the same, but a few of them changed.

On the west side of the beltway, the old signage had Monroe on the signs in both directions at exit 1 (US 29/78, GA 316). But the current signage lists Monroe at exit 18 (US 78 Business, GA 10) on the Outer Loop while on the Inner Loop it remains listed at exit 1.

On the east side of the beltway, for whatever reason, the current signage for US 78/GA 10 is urban-style, listing the street names instead of control cities. I think the older signs were better:

Old signage: "Downtown Athens" and "Athens Airport" as destinations on the main signs, with "Lexington" and "Washington" on a supplemental sign.

New signage: "Oconee St/Lexington Rd" on the main signs, with supplemental signs for Downtown Athens, the airport, Lexington, and Washington.

Of course, if the signage were up to me, the main signage would be "Athens"/"Lexington", with the airport and Washington on a supplemental sign.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

nbm829

Near Williamsburg, Virginia, the signs for Exit 242A/B on I-64 changed sometime around 2009.

Exit 242A went from: "VA-199 West, Williamsburg/Jamestown" to "VA-199 West, Humelsine Parkway"

Exit 242B went from: "VA-199 East, Colonial Parkway/Yorktown" to "VA-199 East, Marquis Center Parkway"

Always peeved me because the destinations were much more useful and the vast majority of locals refer to it as just "199" and not by the proper names.

roadman65

The Garden State Parkway changed a lot of them recently
Exit 63A ( former 63) was NJ 72 East Manahawkin, Long Beach Island and currently is NJ 72 East, Long Beach Island.
Exit 63B ( former 63A) went from NJ 72 West, Camden, Chatsworth to NJ 72 West, Pemberton.

Exit 98 SB went from NJ 34, I-195, and NJ 138, Belmar, Manasquan, Point Pleasant to NJ 34, I-195, and NJ 138, Belmar, Trenton.

Exit 132 ( former 131) went from NJ 27, Iselin, Rahway, Metuchen to NJ 27, Iselin, Metuchen.

Exit 140 NB went from US 22, NJ 82 East, Holland Tunnel to US 22, NJ 82 Hillside.

Exit 148 went from Bloomfield Ave, Bloomfield, Montclair, to CR 506 SPUR, CR 509, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge.

Exit 155 went from Hazel Street to  Passaic.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

lepidopteran

On I-95 in Delaware, an exit in the Christiana area had "Metroform" as a control city.  This was replaced with Churchman's Crossing some 20 years ago.  I think it was on m.t.r. that I read that Metroform was a proposed planned community that never materialized.

Around 1995, on US-50 EB in Bowie, MD (also unsigned I-595), the Exit 13B signage for Route 3 changed from Baltimore to Crofton.  This made sense, since the newly upgraded US-50 and the then-newish I-97 became a better way to get to B-more than MD-3 with its increasing local traffic and multiple signals.  In that same interchange, the sign for Exit 13C switched from (approximately) "Univ of MD Sci and Tech Center" to simply "Melford".

In Ohio, the signage on I-75 SB at the I-70 interchange listed Springfield and Richmond (IN) as the control cities.  When that stretch of highway was rebuilt in the late 80s or so, they were replaced with Columbus and Indianapolis.  Note that I-75 NB had the longer-range towns listed some 13 years sooner.

Gnutella

roadfro

A bunch of recent changes on I-80 just west of Reno, to remove location names in favor of road names (for all except Exit 3, a smaller placard containing the original name is mounted below the new sign).
  • Exits 1 & 2 - Changed from "Verdi" to "Gold Ranch Road"
  • Exit 3 - Changed from "Verdi" to "S. Verdi Rd"
  • Exit 5 - Changed from "East Verdi" to "[SR 425 shield] Old US 40"
  • Exit 7 - Changed from "Mogul" to "Mogul Rd" (even though I think the underlying road here, at least at the westbound ramps, is W 4th St)

So this combined with my last post in this thread makes me think NDOT is gradually removing rural/small urban place names on freeway exits in favor of road names...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

JustDrive

I-210 in Lake View Terrace has added "Foothill Blvd"  in addition to "Osborne St,"  despite Osborne never actually connecting to the freeway.

US 89

The exit from I-80 westbound to the Salt Lake airport has gone over the years from "Airport" to "Salt Lake Intl Airport" to "SLC Intl Airport". And in the midst of all that, the exit number also changed from 115A to 115B.

JKRhodes

I-10 in Arizona between Mile Markers 289 and 291 was reconstructed to Interstate Standards around 2013. Substandard trumpet interchange at Exit 289 was relocated two miles east alongside new freeway and new eastbound railroad track to a new modern diamond. Old signage which referred to "Exit 289 - Marsh sta rd" was replaced with "Exit 291 - Marsh Station Road"

machias

I remember being able to see the markings of "Hancock Airport" underneath "Syracuse Airport" on the button copy signs along Interstate 81 in the mid-late 1970s. The current signs say Syracuse Airport.

TheStranger

Just thought of a few local examples:

- In the pre-exit-number era, what is now I-280 Exit 49A was "Westlake District" but has since been renamed "Junipero Serra Blvd/John Daly Blvd"

- The ramp from US 101 north to Bayshore Boulevard (Exit 426A) at the Brisbane/SSF border was just called "Cow Palace" for years but is now "Bayshore Boulevard/Cow Palace"

- The ramp that was labeled as the Bayshore Boulevard exit along US 101 near Visitacion Valley in SF is now "Paul Avenue" to match the southbound Paul Avenue standalone ramp.
Chris Sampang

JustDrive

Quote from: TheStranger on July 28, 2023, 01:23:49 PM
Just thought of a few local examples:

- In the pre-exit-number era, what is now I-280 Exit 49A was "Westlake District" but has since been renamed "Junipero Serra Blvd/John Daly Blvd"

- The ramp from US 101 north to Bayshore Boulevard (Exit 426A) at the Brisbane/SSF border was just called "Cow Palace" for years but is now "Bayshore Boulevard/Cow Palace"

- The ramp that was labeled as the Bayshore Boulevard exit along US 101 near Visitacion Valley in SF is now "Paul Avenue" to match the southbound Paul Avenue standalone ramp.

SB 101 (exit 442) was originally signed as simply "Sausalito,"  but now it matches the NB signage as "Alexander Avenue."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.