News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cancelled freeways

Started by kernals12, June 21, 2023, 10:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Quote from: mgk920 on June 28, 2023, 07:30:51 PM
A very big factor is also that cars themselves are not anywhere near as fun nor easy to work on, modify and 'tinker with' as they were a few decades ago.

Mike

Yep, I feel like some manufacturers nowadays assume the bulk of their customer base is stupid and accordingly make several of their vehicles' components impossible to access, or severely simplify them.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

HighwayStar

Quote from: epzik8 on July 02, 2023, 05:06:58 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on June 28, 2023, 07:30:51 PM
A very big factor is also that cars themselves are not anywhere near as fun nor easy to work on, modify and 'tinker with' as they were a few decades ago.

Mike

Yep, I feel like some manufacturers nowadays assume the bulk of their customer base is stupid and accordingly make several of their vehicles' components impossible to access, or severely simplify them.

Eh, that is a more complex issue.
Due to sue happy lawyers, every car company has to discourage people from working on their own cars. Yes, there are also incentives from the manufacturer and dealer side, people who can't repair things take them to a dealer and pay for it or buy a new vehicle, but this is another factor on top of that.
Also, the average consumer is far less mechanically or electrically inclined because most goods have become such poor quality that repair is not worth the effort and thus other opportunities to learn the skills are missing. Kids today often don't learn to repair things, both because there is less to repair and often because no father figure is around to teach them. I've unfortunately known college age adults who could not change a light-bulb hard as that is to believe.
Add to this how hostile apartment complexes and HOAs have become to any kind of vehicle work in plain sight and you can see how DIY is becoming both less common and harder to do.
Contrast this to the 50's or 60's when people were far less removed from independent farm life, where self taught engineering and mechanical/electrical know how were more common and cars needed more maintenance, a very different age.

All that said, I don't think the lack of tinker ability on cars is a real driver behind people being unable to drive. While it has pushed up cost of ownership it has also reduced the maintenance side so whatever net effect there is can only be a smaller part of the answer.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Rothman

I am just ticked with how hard it is to change my engine's air filter.  On every other car I've owned, it was a simple "flip open the box, remove and replace" procedure.

Now, it's "pray you don't break the cheap plastic as you remove half the duct and hope you get it in the vertical slot just right" nonsense.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bugo

Depending on what is wrong with the car, working on new cars is as easy and sometimes easier than working on old cars. Changing sensors and solenoids and switches is very easy, but the difficult part is troubleshooting and figuring out what is wrong. If you go to the parts house to get the codes read, write them down or get a printout but don't listen to what the parts guy says it is, because it's usually wrong. Take the codes and plug them into a search engine and do a little bit of reading and you can usually diagnose the problem if it isn't something too serious.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2023, 09:34:53 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 29, 2023, 11:18:29 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 29, 2023, 11:08:51 PM
Wheeling:  In the late 1950s, the WV-2 Bypass was planned to be a freeway routed along the east side of Wheeling Hill.  Much of this route was finally constructed as the US-250 Freeway, which was completed in 1981 from McMechen to I-70 near the east portal of the Wheeling Tunnel.  However, the portion of the WV-2 Bypass north of I-70 was never fully constructed and eventually cancelled.  A portion of this route was constructed as a short piece of Super Two known as McColloch Street (unsigned along the route and posted only on the BGS).  A stub exit from I-70 westbound for the WV-2 Bypass northbound was constructed that has never been used. 

As best as I can tell, this is the only true Cancelled Freeway in West Virginia.

Cartographic evidence of the proposed Wheeling freeways
http://sanwhmap.jpg

That URL seems to be missing a few things.

<shrugs shoulders>
http://www.roadfan.com/sanwhmap.jpg
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SEWIGuy

The main two reasons that people don't "tinker" on cars any longer...

1. They are much more reliable.

2. More people have the economic means to pay someone else to fix them.

Ted$8roadFan

I know in Massachusetts, in spite of passage of the "right to repair"  law by referenda in 2020, the automakers have been fighting it tooth and nail, to the point of even disabling some features on vehicles in the state.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/vehicles/cars-right-repair-complicated-massachusetts-law

To say the least, there is little incentive for drivers to tinker with their cars unless they are mechanically or technologically gifted. I wouldn't feel comfortable tinkering with my own car beyond some simple tasks because of the potential for compromising the  computer or other features.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on July 02, 2023, 06:08:29 PM
I am just ticked with how hard it is to change my engine's air filter.  On every other car I've owned, it was a simple "flip open the box, remove and replace" procedure.

Now, it's "pray you don't break the cheap plastic as you remove half the duct and hope you get it in the vertical slot just right" nonsense.
Oh, I could not figure out how to replace the engine air filter in our Camry.  I had to pay someone to replace it every time, and I was annoyed with it every time.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 03, 2023, 08:09:06 AM
I know in Massachusetts, in spite of passage of the "right to repair"  law by referenda in 2020, the automakers have been fighting it tooth and nail, to the point of even disabling some features on vehicles in the state.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/vehicles/cars-right-repair-complicated-massachusetts-law

To say the least, there is little incentive for drivers to tinker with their cars unless they are mechanically or technologically gifted. I wouldn't feel comfortable tinkering with my own car beyond some simple tasks because of the potential for compromising the  computer or other features.

You've bought into too many of the scare tactics.
There are a lot of things you can work on with an automobile without fear of compromising anything, computers or otherwise. The computer is needed for certain things, but there are often aftermarket solutions for that.
I use Forscan for Ford products, with that I was able to disable this seat moving feature that I didn't like, retrieve my door entry code, and programme a new key for the car (the key reprogram job ended up costing less than $30 for the blank and having it cut, the dealer quoted $257 for the same and a locksmith $159).
I haven't taken a car to a mechanic or a dealer in years and I've saved a small fortune.

HighwayStar

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 03, 2023, 07:47:26 AM
The main two reasons that people don't "tinker" on cars any longer...

1. They are much more reliable.

2. More people have the economic means to pay someone else to fix them.

I would mostly agree with 1, definitely do not agree with #2. (Reliability has actually declined from its peak 10-20 years ago, mainly as a result of trying to extract too much fuel economy and extraneous features that break, but it is of course still higher than say the 50's)
For most people their economic means to pay for someone else to repair them has been shrinking for decades. At the same time they have been stuck with fewer and fewer options, which is why you see so many young people unable to afford a vehicle. They have been failed by society in both teaching them how to work on vehicles and creating the economic opportunity to afford them.

Max Rockatansky

My brother in law and I are going to attempt to patch weld my Wife's catalytic converter and replace a wheel bearing in about a week or so.  Considering her Forester has 145,000 miles and two years left until emissions are due there is no way I want the Subaru dealer to take a crack at it first.  We saved $1,400 on labor alone by replacing her AC fan clutch in her father's garage.  As long as it doesn't involve the ECU I'm usually willing to try to fix something myself if it will be pricy.

mgk920

IMHO, an even bigger factor in the lessening interest in 'tinkering' with cars is also the vastly increased interest among younger guys in playing on-line interactive games, although that factor might may be starting to change.

Mike

HighwayStar

Quote from: mgk920 on July 03, 2023, 12:22:54 PM
IMHO, an even bigger factor in the lessening interest in 'tinkering' with cars is also the vastly increased interest among younger guys in playing on-line interactive games, although that factor might may be starting to change.

Mike

I would agree with that. That tends to go hand in hand with an improper upbringing as well, so all of this goes together.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 03, 2023, 12:21:01 PM
My brother in law and I are going to attempt to patch weld my Wife's catalytic converter and replace a wheel bearing in about a week or so.  Considering her Forester has 145,000 miles and two years left until emissions are due there is no way I want the Subaru dealer to take a crack at it first.  We saved $1,400 on labor alone by replacing her AC fan clutch in her father's garage.  As long as it doesn't involve the ECU I'm usually willing to try to fix something myself if it will be pricy.

Does someone own the welding equipment or are you renting?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: HighwayStar on July 03, 2023, 12:37:19 PM

Mike

I would agree with that. That tends to go hand in hand with an improper upbringing as well, so all of this goes together.

Wut?  Online gaming means improper parenting means...people are unwilling to work on their own cars?  That's a huge stretch.

My son certainly is into online gaming, but he knows how to do a few simple things on his own car.

fillup420

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on June 27, 2023, 07:19:43 PM
Quote from: Mileage Mike on June 26, 2023, 11:56:01 PM
No. That would be Charlotte, NC.

If I recall NC never had any freeway revolts.

Charlotte had one cancelled freeway, an upgrade of US-74 across the whole city

The 74 corridor east of central Charlotte got a ~5 mile "freeway" extension several years back; from Bojangles Arena to Idlewild Rd. However there are parts with RIRO business driveways. There are plans to continue the extension towards Matthews and Monroe.

I did a little research, and I cant find any major project cancellations in all of NC. Maybe since the state was a little late to the freeway game outside of the interstates (40, 77, 85, 95), there weren't many controversial projects.

Speaking of US 74, I remember as a small child, going to the beach from Charlotte, taking US 74 to US 17 to Ocean Isle. There were still 2-lane sections of 74 into the mid 2000's. Surprising that it has taken so long to be upgraded, since it has always been a major route for Charlotte beach-bound traffic. Even today, there is not a continuous freeway connection between Charlotte and the coast. The parallel ex-Seaboard rail line would make an excellent alternative to driving down 74, but I dream of the day CSX allows passenger service to resume. Anyway thats getting off topic....

HighwayStar

Quote from: Rothman on July 03, 2023, 12:53:36 PM

Mike

Wut?  Online gaming means improper parenting means...people are unwilling to work on their own cars?  That's a huge stretch.

My son certainly is into online gaming, but he knows how to do a few simple things on his own car.

Its not a stretch.
The kind of parenting (or lack thereof) that allows kids to waste their life playing games definitely correlates with the parenting that does not bother to teach kids how to work on vehicles.
I'm glad you feel like you have struck a balance, but a great many people don't.

Rothman

Quote from: HighwayStar on July 03, 2023, 01:07:10 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 03, 2023, 12:53:36 PM

Mike

Its not a stretch.
The kind of parenting (or lack thereof) that allows kids to waste their life playing games definitely correlates with the parenting that does not bother to teach kids how to work on vehicles.
I'm glad you feel like you have struck a balance, but a great many people don't.
On what are you basing this comment?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on July 03, 2023, 12:51:05 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 03, 2023, 12:21:01 PM

Does someone own the welding equipment or are you renting?

My brother in law is bringing his.  He's a mechanic at a Chevy dealer but has his own side business.

Henry

Quote from: fillup420 on July 03, 2023, 12:57:15 PM
Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on June 27, 2023, 07:19:43 PM
Quote from: Mileage Mike on June 26, 2023, 11:56:01 PM
No. That would be Charlotte, NC.

If I recall NC never had any freeway revolts.

Charlotte had one cancelled freeway, an upgrade of US-74 across the whole city

The 74 corridor east of central Charlotte got a ~5 mile "freeway" extension several years back; from Bojangles Arena to Idlewild Rd. However there are parts with RIRO business driveways. There are plans to continue the extension towards Matthews and Monroe.

I did a little research, and I cant find any major project cancellations in all of NC. Maybe since the state was a little late to the freeway game outside of the interstates (40, 77, 85, 95), there weren't many controversial projects.

Speaking of US 74, I remember as a small child, going to the beach from Charlotte, taking US 74 to US 17 to Ocean Isle. There were still 2-lane sections of 74 into the mid 2000's. Surprising that it has taken so long to be upgraded, since it has always been a major route for Charlotte beach-bound traffic. Even today, there is not a continuous freeway connection between Charlotte and the coast. The parallel ex-Seaboard rail line would make an excellent alternative to driving down 74, but I dream of the day CSX allows passenger service to resume. Anyway thats getting off topic....
Actually, there is one known cancelled project, and that was the Garden Parkway. It may have been planned as a toll road, but it still counts.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Dirt Roads

Wheeling:  In the late 1950s, the WV-2 Bypass was planned to be a freeway routed along the east side of Wheeling Hill.  Much of this route was finally constructed as the US-250 Freeway, which was completed in 1981 from McMechen to I-70 near the east portal of the Wheeling Tunnel.  However, the portion of the WV-2 Bypass north of I-70 was never fully constructed and eventually cancelled.  A portion of this route was constructed as a short piece of Super Two known as McColloch Street (unsigned along the route and posted only on the BGS).  A stub exit from I-70 westbound for the WV-2 Bypass northbound was constructed that has never been used. 

As best as I can tell, this is the only true Cancelled Freeway in West Virginia.

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 02, 2023, 11:10:09 PM

Do you happen to know what is the year of that map?  This shows I-70 under construction, the WV-2 Bypass under construction (incorrectly) and the I-470 Bridge as proposed.  The 1968 Official State Map shows I-70 completed to the National Pike in Highland Park and under construction east of there.  But it also shows the entire I-470 as proposed plus the WV-2 Bypass down to I-470 as proposed.  Also, the proposed WV-2 Bypass is extended south of I-470 (but not all the way to US-250/WV-2).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 03, 2023, 11:45:49 PM

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 02, 2023, 11:10:09 PM

Do you happen to know what is the year of that map?  This shows I-70 under construction, the WV-2 Bypass under construction (incorrectly) and the I-470 Bridge as proposed.  The 1968 Official State Map shows I-70 completed to the National Pike in Highland Park and under construction east of there.  But it also shows the entire I-470 as proposed plus the WV-2 Bypass down to I-470 as proposed.  Also, the proposed WV-2 Bypass is extended south of I-470 (but not all the way to US-250/WV-2).

1962. (Included in a map of Pennsylvania)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.