News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's the Closest Interstate to you that you Have Never Been on Any of it?

Started by ethanhopkin14, July 17, 2023, 11:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdb1234

Rothman

Quote from: dlsterner on July 18, 2023, 02:21:24 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2023, 06:41:51 PM
Quote from: Jim on July 17, 2023, 02:57:57 PM
I've traveled at least some segment of all 2dis.*

The closest completely untraveled 3di looks to be I-478, the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel (which was also my closest untraveled segment of any Interstate when I just updated the thread on that topic).  I'm also missing all of I-878 near JFK.  I don't believe either of those is signed.  To get a signed 3di that I'm missing, I think we need to go down into Maryland, where I've never been on I-795.  That looks to be about 370 miles from home.

*Edit: Since some are making this distinction, I'll point out that my travels on I-11, I-22, and the southern I-87 were before they were signed as those routes but on the same pavement, best I can tell.
How can you have been on a route before it existed?

I guess that it may depend on your Travel Mapping goals - are you clinching "numbers", or are you clinching "stretches of asphalt"?  IMHO either way is fine.  Depends how you treat any routes that are re-numbered or re-routed.

No, clinching routes is the only acceptable approach.  This is the Way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

pderocco

I live near San Diego, and the closest Interstate I haven't been on is I-380 in San Bruno, which is less than two miles long and more than 450 miles away. After that, I think it's probably I-215 around Salt Lake City, over 630 miles away.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Rothman on July 18, 2023, 02:35:56 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on July 18, 2023, 02:21:24 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2023, 06:41:51 PM
Quote from: Jim on July 17, 2023, 02:57:57 PM
I've traveled at least some segment of all 2dis.*

The closest completely untraveled 3di looks to be I-478, the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel (which was also my closest untraveled segment of any Interstate when I just updated the thread on that topic).  I'm also missing all of I-878 near JFK.  I don't believe either of those is signed.  To get a signed 3di that I'm missing, I think we need to go down into Maryland, where I've never been on I-795.  That looks to be about 370 miles from home.

*Edit: Since some are making this distinction, I'll point out that my travels on I-11, I-22, and the southern I-87 were before they were signed as those routes but on the same pavement, best I can tell.
How can you have been on a route before it existed?

I guess that it may depend on your Travel Mapping goals - are you clinching "numbers", or are you clinching "stretches of asphalt"?  IMHO either way is fine.  Depends how you treat any routes that are re-numbered or re-routed.

No, clinching routes is the only acceptable approach.  This is the Way.

Agreed.  I say I haven't been on Interstate 11 even though I have driven it but it was 2015 (minus the Boulder City Bypass that wasn't complete).  I will have to return to clinch I-11.

I never counted I-14 to my tally until I drove it, despite having driven that stretch of US-190 so many times I lost count.  Now I have driven I-14 so many times I have lost count. 

DandyDan

For 2DI, it's likely I-49 for N-S interstates and I-44 for E-W interstates. It's possible I-96 is closer in straight line distance.

For 3DI, I assume it's I-535, with I-172 ready to take over that title when (and if) I go to Duluth in August.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Concrete Bob

2 DI - I-86 in Idaho.  Though I have been at either end travelling on both I-84 and i-15.

3DI - I-380 in San Mateo County.  Though I have crossed I-380's path by travelling on both US 101 and I-280.

pderocco

This is a lot less interesting if you don't tell us where you are to begin with.

Ted$8roadFan

I-280 in New Jersey
I-86 in New York: was last on it when it was NY-17.
I-88 in New York
I-99 in Pennsylvania: was last on it when it was PA-26.
I-68

Rothman

Quote from: pderocco on July 19, 2023, 02:32:17 AM
This is a lot less interesting if you don't tell us where you are to begin with.
It can be derived from the information given, generally.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

This thread, unlike most others, uses your current location as a reference point, not where you live. If you're on a road trip, your answer will probably be different.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

signalman

2di: 26 (I have driven the section that was formerly 181) Edited answer: 30
3di: 480 OH

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on July 19, 2023, 07:00:00 AM
This thread, unlike most others, uses your current location as a reference point, not where you live. If you're on a road trip, your answer will probably be different.
Heh.  The level of pedantry on this board never fails to amuse.

elsmere241

Probably a couple of 3dis in the Bronx or Queens for me.  As far as 2dis, I'd have to think really hard and pull out the atlas or something.

jmacswimmer

The ones I came up with are closer by than what I was expecting:

2di: I-85
3di: I-195 (VA)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

DesertedHighwayz

As far as I know, the closest I have never driven on is I-195 in Richmond, I may be incorrect. If I am incorrect, I-564 in Norfolk, VA.
2-digit closest is probably I-77 (which is pretty far away)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on July 19, 2023, 07:00:00 AM
In that case I-75 is the only 2di that I've crossed without ever going on.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

doorknob60

I've been on I-182 (~300 mi) and I-105 (~440 mi) many many times as a kid (I've lived in Eugene, Springfield, Pasco, and West Richland), but I've never driven on them myself as an adult, so I don't count them driven on Travel Mapping.

I've never been on I-115 in MT at all, ~420 miles away, so that's the closest interstate I've truly never been on.

The closest 2di I've never been on is I-70, ~475 miles away. Though I have crossed I-70 in both Columbus, OH and Frederick, MD.

I've also not been on I-94 or I-25, which came to my mind first, but I-70 is closer.

Dough4872

Closest Interstate I haven't been on is I-380 in Pennsylvania.

cstp3103

Quote from: cstp3103 on July 17, 2023, 05:22:10 PM
For highways I've never driven personally:
2di: I-89 (110 miles away)
3di: I-295, RI/MA (30 miles)

For highways I've never been on, period:

2di: I-78 (174 miles)
3di: I-384, CT (81 miles)

I'm assuming I had been on I-89 as a small child as I had gone to Vermont with my family a few times, but it was (slightly) too early for me to be paying attention to which roads I was on.

Update: I ended up driving the entirety of I-384 less than a week after this was posted, as well as a segment of I-295 on the same trip. This means that now the closest 3di I've never driven on is I-395 in CT (51 miles away) and the closest I've never been on at all is I-495 on Long Island (107 miles as the crow flies).

Streetman

There's a stretch of a 3di in Connecticut that most of its residents including myself have never been on: I-684, which is mostly in NY with just a tiny stretch grazing a corner of Greenwich. Probably no reason anyone going from any place in CT to anywhere else would use it.
Closest 2di for me is I-87.

tmoore952

I was heavily into travel in the 1990s, not so much since after I got married. Some highways have appeared since then.

My 2di answer at that time would have been I-16 in Georgia. But since then I-73 has appeared in NC and that would be my answer now.

3-di - never been a big fan of driving many of these since they are usually very short and one has to be careful at the termini especially if you are terminating in the middle of a big city. But some have been very useful to me (I-276, I-476, I-287, I-684, I-180 and I-380 (latter 2 in PA)). Since I am in DC now I am certain my 3-di answer is I-195 in Richmond.

EDITED - removed incorrect statement I made about I-73.

PColumbus73

flan

From Twin Cities
2di: I-74 in Davenport, IA
3di: I-380 in Waterloo, IA

From Fargo
2di: I-74 in Davenport, IA
3di: I-229 in Sioux Falls, SD

I-74 just barely beats out I-88 in Illinois and I-76 in Nebraska

Joseph R P

Closest Interstate: I 495X/Cabin John Parkway

Closest signed Interstate: I 370

Closest two-digit Interstate: I 97

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.