News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstates or US routes that fit in with a state routes numbering cluster

Started by SkyPesos, August 10, 2023, 10:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

In some states, state routes have clustered numbering, where all the numbers in a range are in a certain part of the state. Interstates and US routes through an area are almost never part of the cluster because of the nature of how they're numbered, but there are some examples out there, mostly by coincidence.

One of them is US 127 in the Cincinnati area. There's a cluster of state routes numbered in the 120s and 130s in Southwest Ohio, and since Ohio doesn't duplicate numbering between US routes (and Interstates) with state routes, US 127 fits right in with it. US 127 intersects OH 126 in College Hill, and OH 128 and 129 in Hamilton.
This one is purely a coincidence as US 127 initially had its southern terminus in Toledo using what is now US 223, and its current route in Ohio was OH 9. The road that was OH 127 before US 127 entered the state is now OH 129, which took that number from present day OH 126. And the 126 number was then used on the road that became US 27. So the state routes numbered in the 120s and 130s in the southwest part of the state had been there since day 1.

Any other examples of this?

Max Rockatansky

The original run of Arizona State Routes were intended to be in sequence/cluster with the initial US Routes.  Stuff like AZ 71 began by branching away from the original routing of US 70 to Holbrook. 

NWI_Irish96

US 6 is entirely between IN 4 and IN 8, coincidentally having been IN 6 before the US 6 designation.

US 40 is entirely between IN 38 and IN 42.

US 50 fits well, though the grid more or less falls apart that far south.

US 35 and US 36 have some sections that fit.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

vdeane

How about I-238? :bigass:

US 62 in NY might fit the bill as well.  2dny routes tend to be longer corridors with even numbers being north-south and odd numbers being east-west, although exceptions do exist.  I'm not aware of any overall geographic pattern, especially for higher numbers, but some localized ones do exist.  In any case, NY 62 would work as a number on that corridor due to US 62 being north-south in NY.  It's not even that far away from NY 60 or NY 64.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on August 10, 2023, 12:39:19 PM
How about I-238? :bigass:

California did have a cluster pattern.  Sadly neither the US Routes nor I-238 really intersected it much.  US 40A kind of came close but didn't quite get into the middle of CA 36 and CA 44.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/04/patterns-in-original-1934-california.html?m=1

cockroachking

US-209 in New York fits in with the NY-207 through NY-214 cluster of the western Hudson Valley. The interesting part is that most of those routes were assigned in the 1930 renumbering (as well as NY-215, present-day NY-17K), while US-209 was not extended into NY until 1935. It was designated US-6N in 1930 and later became NY-279. Interestingly, NY-209 in 1930 was assigned to everyone's favorite Orleans County instead of the Hudson Valley before being renumbered NY-279 in 1935 when NY-279 was renumbered US-209.

TheHighwayMan3561

The "original" US 59 in MN was in a region with TH 56, TH 57, TH 58, TH 60, and US 61. That version of US 59 was the precursor for modern US 63, so it still kind of fits today.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

There isn't much in the way of clusters in Colorado. Out east, CO59, CO61, and CO63 are close to each other but nothing in the way of interstates or U.S. routes to match. And down in the San Luis Valley, you have CO368, CO370, and CO371, but same story -- nothing to match.

KCRoadFan

State roads in Florida are more-or-less arranged in a grid - one which US 1 more-or-less fits perfectly.

Dough4872

US 13 in Maryland runs through the Eastern Shore, where the state route numbering cluster 12-21 is located. (MD 13 would probably be located toward the lower part of the Eastern Shore, US 13 intersects MD 12). US 301 in Maryland runs through Queen Anne's County, where MD 301 would be located based on numbering clusters (in fact, part of MD 290 was formerly MD 301).

Flint1979

I would give an example for Indiana but it's already been mentioned. That's the first thing I think of when I think of something like this. Indiana has their state highway system as the same of the US highway system in the rest of the country. The lowest number is in the north or east and the highest number is in the south or west. So it's easier to tell where a state highway in Indiana is going to be. US-6 and US-40 are the two that come to mind in Indiana.

Michigan doesn't have a system that is in order by number or anything. But the lowest numbered state highways tend to be in the Detroit or Grand Rapids area. M-13 is the lowest number not to be in either the Detroit or Grand Rapids area. Detroit and Grand Rapids are the largest and second largest cities in Michigan.

Is there another state that does it like Indiana does?

MATraveler128

I-95 passes near the area where MA 96, MA 97, MA 98, and MA 99 are located. There is no MA 94.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Rothman

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 11, 2023, 11:27:23 AM
I-95 passes near the area where MA 96, MA 97, MA 98, and MA 99 are located. There is no MA 94.
Well, today I learned MA 96 exists.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rover_0

Even after the 1977 renumbering, Utah still has a route numbered 15 in the southwest corner of the state–it's I-15 and goes to Salt Lake, not to Zion NP like State Route 15 did.

Similarly, I-84 could qualify, given that SRs 81, 82, 83, and 86 are not far off I-84; in fact, 83 and 86 connect to 84.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

US 1 in Hudson and Bergen Counties meets NJ 3, NJ 4, NJ 5, former NJ 6, NJ 7, and US 9. If it weren’t that NJ ever had a NJ 2 or 8, it would be a perfect grid in regards to all the single numbers to be used.

True 3,4,5, former 6, and 9 aren’t in a perfect order, but confined to a specific region at least. US 1 and US 9 do in a way fit in.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jay8g

I-5 basically fits into Washington's state highway grid where SR 5 should -- east of SR 3 and west of SR 7 (at least in the areas that those highways exist).

roadman65

US 1 kinda sort of. If FL 3 dint exist east of US 1 and FL wasn't US 1, it would be perfect in the grid.

Plus the two independent parts of SR 5 are east of US 1 anyway. SR 9 is west of SR 9 in Miami so it being east of SR 7 to off set it north of Golden Glades isn't so out of it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

I-70 passes through Frederick County, Maryland, where most of Maryland's state routes in the 70s are located (MD 70 is actually in Annapolis in Anne Arundel County).
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on August 11, 2023, 12:51:10 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 11, 2023, 11:27:23 AM
Well, today I learned MA 96 exists.

I had to refresh my own memory as well. Everyone also learned it and 98 are nowhere near I-95.

hotdogPi

It's not a cluster, anyway. 97 and 99 are nowhere near 96 or 98.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

cwf1701

In MIchigan, the closest to a cluster would be in Metro Detroit with M-1, M-3, M-5, M-8, M-10, US-12, M-14, M-17, M-19, M-21, US-23, US-24, M-25, and M-29. to add Metro Detroit once had US-10, US-16, and US-25.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.