News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Best metro areas for roadgeeks

Started by Occidental Tourist, August 19, 2023, 12:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

I like where I'm at (Richmond). Not too far from:

tunnels/bridge-tunnels: Baltimore, Hampton Roads, I-77

big bridges: Chesapeake Bay, Francis Scott Key, Smart Road, Varina-Enon, VVMB (VA 895)

mountain roads: Western MD/NC/VA, WV

city skyline views from highways: Arlington, Baltimore, Norfolk, Richmond

and seemingly endless road projects in Virginia and surrounding states (especially NC)

The downside, unless going west, is the TRAFFIC
Newark born, Richmond bred

JayhawkCO

Denver is good because of proximity to scenic mountain drives. I wouldn't say any of the roads in the Denver metro itself are all that exciting though.

Henry

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 30, 2023, 04:43:29 PM
Denver is good because of proximity to scenic mountain drives. I wouldn't say any of the roads in the Denver metro itself are all that exciting though.
If my brother Jeff were on here, he'd agree with you. And to add, if you're driving on SB I-25 from the northern areas, you get a spectacular view of the downtown skyline.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Henry on August 30, 2023, 09:53:15 PM
If my brother Jeff were on here, he'd agree with you. And to add, if you're driving on SB I-25 from the northern areas, you get a spectacular view of the downtown skyline.

Not a bad view on US285 coming from the West as well.

Dough4872

The Denver metro is pretty good for roads, you can sometimes see the mountains in the background. However the real scenic roads are to the west in the mountains such as I-70 west of Denver and US 36 to Estes Park.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Dough4872 on August 31, 2023, 04:18:17 PM

The Denver metro is pretty good for roads, you can sometimes see the mountains in the background. However the real scenic roads are to the west in the mountains such as I-70 west of Denver and US 36 to Estes Park.

Yeah, but I guess when you live here full time, glancing at the "same" mountains is less interesting.

Flint1979

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 31, 2023, 04:41:02 PM
Quote from: Dough4872 on August 31, 2023, 04:18:17 PM

Yeah, but I guess when you live here full time, glancing at the "same" mountains is less interesting.
I wouldn't mind it. Michigan is somewhat hilly in places but flat in a lot of places so having a mountain in front of you is kind of cool. I know it's not as big as the Rockies but I've been in West Virginia, Virginia and North Carolina in the mountains and loved it. Actually one time going to North Carolina with my dad I had the GPS settings on avoid toll roads and I-77 being a toll road in WV of course put you on a different route. Well this route I had went into the mountains and I didn't really realize that the route was leading into the mountains but my dad was complaining asking where we were and how the heck we got to where we were and stuff like that so I said I think this is fun to be honest about it.

But I understand seeing the same thing every day does get boring. I think flat land is pretty boring though.

JayhawkCO

Sure. I never get tired of seeing them, but driving on a random state highway in Westminster isn't made any "cooler" by being able to see the same mountains, just slightly closer than when you were in Aurora, for example. But obviously being IN the mountains and coming around a corner and seeing a whole different landscape is pretty awesome.

Flint1979

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 31, 2023, 05:58:52 PM
Sure. I never get tired of seeing them, but driving on a random state highway in Westminster isn't made any "cooler" by being able to see the same mountains, just slightly closer than when you were in Aurora, for example. But obviously being IN the mountains and coming around a corner and seeing a whole different landscape is pretty awesome.
I love seeing a different landscape. When we were in the mountains I remember a curve in the road that went around a house otherwise the curve wouldn't need to be there, that and I remember railroad tracks snaking through the river valley below. Whenever I get back to clinching counties in Virginia my next county I want to see is Highland County, one of the least populated and highest elevation counties east of the Mississippi.

JoePCool14

I would argue against Chicago, which for whoever knows me shouldn't come as a shock. But I'll do lists of pros and cons to be more fair.

Pros

• Lots of expressways, both free and tolled. In particular, lots of Interstates.
  • Two different agencies (with others) maintain expressways, meaning you get to experience two very different drives.
  • Lots of state roads in general, urban, suburban and rural-ish.
  • Relatively easy access to two (even three, maybe) additional states' transportation networks.
  • The drive along and near Lake Michigan is a treat, probably one of if not the most unique thing we have to offer here.
Cons

• Lots of congestion, especially going in and out of the city proper.
  • Lack of beltline options, particularly in the northern areas.
  • Poor pavement condition, particularly on IDOT-maintained roadways. Too much "SMART resurfacing" going on. Nasty bumps appear only a handful of years later as a reminder of the truly deteriorated conditions underneath.
  • Poor, cheap, ugly signage, particularly on surface streets. Tollways are pretty good, IDOT freeways are alright, IDOT D1 surface street signage is a joke.
  • Worst of all, in my opinion, very boring infrastructure. Rarely will you see a cool interchange, street design or unique configuration. Most things are very standard. Little innovation. Even the traffic lights have become bland. IDOT has been aggressive about replacing signals, so you'll rarely find anything too interesting, and all their replacements in D1 have ugly black housings.
  • And cloverleafs. Lots, and lots, of cloverleafs.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.