When and where do you suspect button copy will go extinct?

Started by CometTheMountainLion, August 31, 2023, 12:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CometTheMountainLion

I know this thread is gonna upset some people, but when do you think button copy signs will be extinct in the wild? What state is likely to be the last to replace their BC signs?

I don't think button copy will truly be exterminated. A button copy sign or pieces could be put in a museum somewhere. I can also see those decorative road sign manufacturers making replica signs.
My terms:

Greater I-45 - I-45 plus US-75 and US-69 to Big Cabin, OK.

CraIGs or CraIGeSQuE- Any sign similar to the late infamous “CraIG COUntY” sign.

Max Rockatansky

California and not anytime soon.  Some Caltrans Districts have 1990s era button copy which will be in service for decades to come.

formulanone

I predict the longer-lasting button copy BGSes would meet these criteria...

(1) difficult to replace
(2) obscured/forgotten location, behind trees/rocks/buildings
(3) not located along a primary or state route system
(4) posted within low risk of accident damage
(5) doesn't have routes get renamed or renumbered
(6) does not have a significant increase in traffic count

...would stand the greatest chance of survival. Anything on an abandoned or disused section would probably stay extant the longest.

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on August 31, 2023, 06:50:19 AM
I predict the longer-lasting button copy BGSes would meet these criteria...

(1) difficult to replace
(2) obscured/forgotten location, behind trees/rocks/buildings
(3) not located along a primary or state route system
(4) posted within low risk of accident damage
(5) doesn't have routes get renamed or renumbered
(6) does not have a significant increase in traffic count

...would stand the greatest chance of survival. Anything on an abandoned or disused section would probably stay extant the longest.
Also: Not on an overhead sign structure, which have more rigorous inspections than ground mounted signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Between Exit 53 and Exit 58 of NJ 55, there's some original button copy signage that goes back to when the highway was built in 1985.

1995hoo

Heh. As of the last time I was in downtown DC, the 12th Street button-copy sign was still there despite its very dilapidated condition. I'm surprised it hasn't been replaced as part of the various ongoing sign replacement projects, but I suspect its days are numbered.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Quillz

Probably a very long time from now. Well made button copy signs can last for decades. I believe California was installing some as late as 2000.

Henry

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2023, 12:16:57 AM
California and not anytime soon.  Some Caltrans Districts have 1990s era button copy which will be in service for decades to come.
I second the sentiment. Even with other states discontinuing the practice of making button-copy signs, CA will be the last one standing in that department.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

The last button copy sign was installed in Arizona (somewhere... anyone know where?), as they were the last to switch to retroreflective sheeting.

Unfortunately, I think Arizona replaces signs more regularly than other states, so my guess is that California will be the last to rid themselves of button copy (term used lightly).

KCRoadFan

In Madison, WI (where I was last weekend), there is a sign along University Avenue for Campus Drive that is still button-copy - how long has that one stood?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.