News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 273/Old US 99 through Redding and Anderson

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 08, 2020, 03:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I prepared two maps for the upcoming article on CA 273 through Redding and Anderson which show the original alignment of US 99 through both communities.  US 99 diverged from CA 273 in Redding as it stayed straight on Market Street through downtown.  US 99 in Anderson Split southeast from CA 273 along Barney Road and Rhonda Road towards Cottonwood.  Much of what was US 99 south of Anderson is now bisected by Interstate 5.

US 99 downtown Redding by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

US 99 Anderson by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

nexus73

SR 273 brought back as US 99 would be nice!  Get it repaved with sidewalks as needed and cleaned up so the route looks good. 

Downtown Redding has a gorgeous old theater which looks to be restored.  Two In-N-Outs are found in Redding too.  When I last ate at the original one several years ago, the place was swamped while McD's was deserted.  Somehow that kind of scene escaped The Clown and his management team. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on September 08, 2020, 05:39:53 PM
SR 273 brought back as US 99 would be nice!  Get it repaved with sidewalks as needed and cleaned up so the route looks good. 

Downtown Redding has a gorgeous old theater which looks to be restored.  Two In-N-Outs are found in Redding too.  When I last ate at the original one several years ago, the place was swamped while McD's was deserted.  Somehow that kind of scene escaped The Clown and his management team. 

Rick

That nasty pedestrian mall Redding put in on Market between Tehama and Placer is presently being torn out.  No word if CA 273 will shift back to Market Street in downtown Redding but having it open completely through downtown will be nice. 

Max Rockatansky

I recently took a drive on on CA 273 through Redding and Anderson.  CA 273 consists almost entirely of the former route of US 99 which evolved in Anderson from 1935 through 1950.  CA 273 within downtown Redding bypasses what was US 99 on Market Street between Tehama Street and Placer Street on dual one-way alignments.  Market Street between Tehama Street and Placer Street was converted into a pedestrian mall in 1972 but presently is being restored to an active roadway.  Much of CA 273 is co-signed as Historic US 99 from Redding south to Anderson. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/09/california-state-route-273-former-us.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.