News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hello from Long Island, NY (NYSDOT Employee)

Started by Mccojm, December 26, 2017, 12:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mccojm

Hello everyone :wave:, been lurking the site for awhile now and figured I'd sign up. My name is John and I'm 26 years old, currently work for NYSDOT.  I'm relatively new to the department so I don't know much of the inner workings or details.  My current position is out of region 10 (Nassau/Suffolk counties) in the construction group as a engineer trainee (need to pass FE exam by July or my position is terminated  :-o)

I been with NYSDOT since 2013  where I started as a seasonal transportation construction inspector right after graduating college, took then the junior engineer civil service exam in 2015 and was appointed the probation title in July 2016. It's surprising due to the fact that I didn't go to school for this field (mechanical engineering technology) and learned everything from field experience, guidance from senior inspectors and engineers in charge, and making plenty of mistakes. I don't know if anyone is familiar with NYSDOT yet alone reg 10 EICs but I worked for Ed Donovan who holds a pretty notorious rep down here and predates NYSDOT to NYSDPW. Two major projects I was involved on were the NY347/ NY112 intersection "jug handle " reconfigure in Port Jefferson Station and NY25 over I495 bridge rebuild in Riverhead. Currently , I'm on engineer trainee rotation that reg 10 runs, I'm in traffic and safety department under traffic control and safer evaluations. I was in T&S in signal operations and INFORM. Next assignment will be in maintenance res.05 in Melville.  Other assignments to come include claims, design, structures, ROW, planning, signal design, and regional directors office granted I pass the FE exam. Post rotation plan is for me to go back to construction as an inspector.  I was offered a lower grade Principle Engineer Technician canvass that would be permanent rather that conditional permanent I'm in now.  I love what I do and as plans stand now, my wife wants to move to Charlotte, NC so I'm hoping to find similar career path with NCDOT if that's the case, but keep my NYSDOT job and keep growing in meantime as long as I'm here.

Enough of job history, as mentioned above I'm 26, I'm a newly married to my wife in November.  Currently live on Long Island where I spent my entire life.  Plans looking like moving south to NC though like seemingly all young NYers due to costs of living and taxes.  In meantime, I just  like living each day as it comes and enjoy time with my wife and our pet rabbit and spending time with my family and my inlaws. When the time warrants, I try to keep my old 93 mustang and 96 bronco up kept and running as well as cheering on the Mets, islanders and Jets (I know... the torture).  That about it as it comes about me. I look forward to learning and conversing and hopefully contribute to the road geek community here!  :biggrin:
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

kphoger

Welcome, John!

And congratulations on your marriage.  Being married is the best.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mccojm

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 12:41:29 PM
Welcome, John!

And congratulations on your marriage.  Being married is the best.

Thank you, it really is amazing!
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

freebrickproductions

Welcome from Huntsville, AL! I was up on Long Island back in September. Looks like a nice place to live. :nod:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Mccojm

Quote from: 1 on December 26, 2017, 01:15:08 PM
Welcome from Massachusetts!
Thank you!

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 26, 2017, 09:54:05 PM
Welcome from Huntsville, AL! I was up on Long Island back in September. Looks like a nice place to live. :nod:

Thank you! I love it here, well mainly Suffolk county I can't stand Nassau since it's like being in queens now.  I only ever lived here so the idea of leaving is still a major internal conflict I'm dealing with esp. going from the bustle and crowd of long island and nyc to slower and much quieter NC.

adventurernumber1

A huge welcome from northern Georgia!  :wave:

I am looking forward to seeing your posts, and I will see you around on the forum.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Hurricane Rex

A warm welcome from Oregon!

Glad you signed up so you can contribute to the discussions.
Also congrats on your marriage.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

index

Welcome to the forum!

Moving to NC in the future possibly, I see? If you do, it may take a bit to get used to the heat, but you'll like it here. Charlotte is a nice city with good amenities and things to do.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

slorydn1

Welcome to the nuthouse from eastern NC.

I have family all over Long Guyland (as they pronounce it, lol). Hey with all the new interstates popping up here in NC I thing NCDOT would be an exciting place to work over the next 25-30 years or so!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jasonsk287

Welcome!! I am also from Suffolk County! Excited to hear your insights.

iPhone

Rothman

Hello from the Capital District.

Regarding a possible move to NC, depending what retirement tier you are in, giving up your pension and starting over again or whatnot should be a major consideration (i.e., if you slid into one of the better tiers rather than the most recent one, which I believe is little more than a 401k of sorts).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alex

Mccojm

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 27, 2017, 05:28:09 PM
A huge welcome from northern Georgia!  :wave:

I am looking forward to seeing your posts, and I will see you around on the forum.  :nod:
Thank you!

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 27, 2017, 11:35:38 PM
A warm welcome from Oregon!

Glad you signed up so you can contribute to the discussions.
Also congrats on your marriage.
Thank you!

Quote from: index on December 28, 2017, 12:54:41 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Moving to NC in the future possibly, I see? If you do, it may take a bit to get used to the heat, but you'll like it here. Charlotte is a nice city with good amenities and things to do.
Thank you, that was one of my biggest concerns as well was the heat/ humidity as my job requires most of my work to be done outside. Glad to hear good things about the Charlotte area, visited on our way down to Disney last year but only had a day in the Charlotte area and didnt get to see the city proper.

Quote from: slorydn1 on December 28, 2017, 03:52:30 AM
Welcome to the nuthouse from eastern NC.

I have family all over Long Guyland (as they pronounce it, lol). Hey with all the new interstates popping up here in NC I thing NCDOT would be an exciting place to work over the next 25-30 years or so!
Thank you! I have family down in NC in Wendell, Wilmington, and Sanford.  The road construction down south is absolutely amazing with how much there is.  Im used to jobs mainly being maintenance and refurbishing as long island will probably never see any major highway construction again.  Glad to hear that the outlook on jobs is looking good in the industry in NC though!

Quote from: jasonsk287 on December 28, 2017, 07:56:48 AM
Welcome!! I am also from Suffolk County! Excited to hear your insights.

iPhone
Thank you, neighbor! where about in suffolk are you?  I grew up in Bay Shore but now Im out in Yaphank with my inlaws while trying to get out of financial ruins.

Quote from: Rothman on December 28, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
Hello from the Capital District.

Regarding a possible move to NC, depending what retirement tier you are in, giving up your pension and starting over again or whatnot should be a major consideration (i.e., if you slid into one of the better tiers rather than the most recent one, which I believe is little more than a 401k of sorts).

Thank you! unfortunately im tier 6 (67 retirement, need 10 years tenure to be eligible to retirement funds upon retirement) Looking to make switch to NC sooner than later if possible so I can rebuild my pension.  I have a 457b with NYS that ive only started last year and have been putting massive amount into each check being that i have no house or children. Plan was to use what ever i put away in NYS to fund a down payment on a home in NC and start a new pension there but I will have to speak with a financial adviser.

Quote from: Alex on December 28, 2017, 11:12:24 AM
Welcome to the board!

Thank You!

As far as contributing,  Im still just reading along trying to find my place and see what I can contribute without look stupid, repeating things, or breaking NYS ethics.   I only have so much experience and no school background in civil/ transportation so my knowledge is limited.  I will try and contribute as much as I can though and as always love reading and learning from everyone else here!

jasonsk287

I am in Mastic! Not far from you at all!!

iPhone

Marf

Never seen a Dirt Road + DOT Employee before.
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

kphoger

Quote from: Marf on December 29, 2017, 06:09:46 PM
Never seen a Dirt Road + DOT Employee before.

Hey, yeah, that's pretty rare, isn't it?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dougtone

Greetings from the Capital Region of New York! I grew up in Nesconset actually, but moved Upstate when I started college and never left. Good to see more Islanders fans here; so glad that the Isles are planning to move to Belmont.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.