News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-66 HO/T Lanes

Started by froggie, January 23, 2015, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 23, 2018, 01:49:12 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 23, 2018, 01:33:12 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 23, 2018, 12:21:43 PM
Funny to see the desperation of all the exurban communities now that their days of free riding on infrastructure are coming to an end.
Wasn't even a legal free (unless they were using the clean vehicle exemption).  It's amazing how many former HOV lane violators now have the audacity to complain.  If VA had enforced the requirements enough that it wasn't profitable to violate them, perhaps there wouldn't be so much complaining now.

It is amusing to watch everyone carefully avoiding to admit that they were just flouting the rules all along, and relying on non-enforcement. They couch it in other terms, of course.

Or using the clean-fuel exemption, which was closed to new users ca. 2008 (before I bought my Prius, so I was ineligible), and has long been living on borrowed time.

The folks in Loudoun County will at least be able to use Metrorail's Silver Line when it's extended out there, subsidized by the tolls they're paying on the Dulles Toll Road.

BTW, the proposed legislation would slap tolls on the now-toll free Dulles Airport Access Road, with the goal of making that and the Dulles Toll Road toll-free by 2030. I don't like either idea. Dulles airport users have already lost their exemption from rush-hour HOV (now HO/T) restrictions on I-66. Tolling the access road would rub salt in that wound, and further undermine the goal of encouraging travelers to use Dulles rather than the more congested Reagan National.

It would also make the HO/T restrictions bi-directional, applying to outbound as well as inbound traffic in the morning, and inbound as well as outbound traffic in the afternoon. I think that is inevitable, but it would clobber "reverse commuters" to employers in the Tysons area, which might make Fairfax County unhappy.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: oscar on January 23, 2018, 02:13:26 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 23, 2018, 01:49:12 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 23, 2018, 01:33:12 PM
Funny to see the desperation of all the exurban communities now that their days of free riding on infrastructure are coming to an end.
Wasn't even a legal free (unless they were using the clean vehicle exemption).  It's amazing how many former HOV lane violators now have the audacity to complain.  If VA had enforced the requirements enough that it wasn't profitable to violate them, perhaps there wouldn't be so much complaining now.

It is amusing to watch everyone carefully avoiding to admit that they were just flouting the rules all along, and relying on non-enforcement. They couch it in other terms, of course.

Or using the clean-fuel exemption, which was closed to new users ca. 2008 (before I bought my Prius, so I was ineligible), and has long been living on borrowed time.

The folks in Loudoun County will at least be able to use Metrorail's Silver Line when it's extended out there, subsidized by the tolls they're paying on the Dulles Toll Road.

BTW, the proposed legislation would slap tolls on the now-toll free Dulles Airport Access Road, with the goal of making that and the Dulles Toll Road toll-free by 2030. I don't like either idea. Dulles airport users have already lost their exemption from rush-hour HOV (now HO/T) restrictions on I-66. Tolling the access road would rub salt in that wound, and further undermine the goal of encouraging travelers to use Dulles rather than the more congested Reagan National.

It would also make the HO/T restrictions bi-directional, applying to outbound as well as inbound traffic in the morning, and inbound as well as outbound traffic in the afternoon. I think that is inevitable, but it would clobber "reverse commuters" to employers in the Tysons area, which might make Fairfax County unhappy.

The reverse-commute HO/T restriction seems like nothing more than a way for them to be able to brag about sticking it to Arlington, Alexandria, and DC residents, which I think is a popular political strategy out that way.

Not to mention that the longest trips on the Silver Line (enjoyed by Loudoun residents) will be far cheaper per-mile than short trips from Arlington, inner Fairfax.

Basically they want it both ways...economic opportunities of a major metro area without bearing any of the costs. Eventually the bill comes due.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 23, 2018, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2018, 12:28:36 PM

They don't pay gas taxes when they fuel up?

QuoteAccording to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), from 2021 to 2026 trust fund revenue is projected to total $243 billion, but outlays will amount to $364 billion, resulting in an imbalance of $121 billion.
(https://www.concordcoalition.org/issue-briefs/2016/0223/fixing-highway-trust-fund)

Can we end the dogma on this board that roads are self-funding in this country?

Most things in/of this country aren't self-funding.  The deficit is how many trillion?  Transportation is a small part of that deficit.

oscar

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 23, 2018, 02:52:50 PM
The reverse-commute HO/T restriction seems like nothing more than a way for them to be able to brag about sticking it to Arlington, Alexandria, and DC residents, which I think is a popular political strategy out that way.

There's a reverse-commute congestion problem, which is why I said that HO/T restriction was "inevitable". When VDOT tried to sell Arlington residents on the proposed "spot improvements" to westbound I-66 (two of which have been completed), the story was that reverse-commute HOV restrictions were inevitable, and the spot improvements would do little to forestall those restrictions.

I was pleased that Arlington officials, long opposed to any I-66 improvements, went along with not just HO/T but also widening parts of eastbound I-66. I guess, though, that one ignoble compensation Arlington officials are getting out of this is listening to all the whining coming out of Loudoun.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: oscar on January 23, 2018, 03:20:48 PM

There's a reverse-commute congestion problem, which is why I said that HO/T restriction was "inevitable". When VDOT tried to sell Arlington residents on the proposed "spot improvements" to westbound I-66 (two of which have been completed), the story was that reverse-commute HOV restrictions were inevitable, and the spot improvements would do little to forestall those restrictions.

I was pleased that Arlington officials, long opposed to any I-66 improvements, went along with not just HO/T but also widening parts of eastbound I-66. I guess, though, that one ignoble compensation Arlington officials are getting out of this is listening to all the whining coming out of Loudoun.

I don't blame Arlington for holding out....land is scarce in this way, and if the best argument for widening was that "it'll make Fairfax and Loudoun commutes easier", that just ain't gonna cut it.

I'm glad they were able to hold out for something better than just widening, without any side benefits (HO/T and transit money).

oscar

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 23, 2018, 04:20:03 PM
Quote from: oscar on January 23, 2018, 03:20:48 PM

I don't blame Arlington for holding out....land is scarce in this way, and if the best argument for widening was that "it'll make Fairfax and Loudoun commutes easier", that just ain't gonna cut it.

I'm glad they were able to hold out for something better than just widening, without any side benefits (HO/T and transit money).

Except Arlington officials and residents whined loudly about even adding auxiliary lanes within the existing ROW. Land scarcity might be an issue with three lanes in each direction east of the Lee Hwy/Spout Run exit (not to mention making room for the added traffic in D.C.). But not west of there.

Jmiles32

From what I've heard the Dulles Airport Access Road is notoriously underutilized. Provided thats the case, then I have no problem with converting it into HOT lanes in order to get not only more use, but to further encourage more people along that corridor to carpool/slug(if the I-66 inside the beltway HOT lanes aren't already doing that). The prospect of a toll-free Dulles Toll Road is also quite nice.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

oscar

Quote from: Jmiles32 on January 23, 2018, 10:57:50 PM
From what I've heard the Dulles Airport Access Road is notoriously underutilized. Provided thats the case, then I have no problem with converting it into HOT lanes in order to get not only more use, but to further encourage more people along that corridor to carpool/slug(if the I-66 inside the beltway HOT lanes aren't already doing that).

What the DAAR could really use is a 70mph speed limit, as much as it may annoy travelers on the DTR stuck with 55mph and having to pay for the privilege.

1995hoo

WTOP has an article purporting to address what is and is not working with the I-66 tolls. Most notable aspect, IMO, is that so far all the proposed legislation that would cut back the tolling hours, cap the maximum toll per person per month, etc., has been defeated in committee. I think that's a good thing because I don't think they should be rushing to make changes after less than two months of actual operation, especially (I have said this before) when those two months included the Christmas/New Year's traffic lull.

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/01/nearly-2-months-66-tolls-whats-working-whats-not/

From what I've heard the Dulles Airport Access Road is notoriously underutilized. Provided thats the case, then I have no problem with converting it into HOT lanes in order to get not only more use, but to further encourage more people along that corridor to carpool/slug(if the I-66 inside the beltway HOT lanes aren't already doing that). The prospect of a toll-free Dulles Toll Road is also quite nice.

Who owns the Dulles Access Road these days? I assume MWAA, given that historically the FAA owned the road and the land on which it was built. The FAA's opposition to allowing non-airport traffic on that road was one reason why the Dulles Toll Road was constructed. I don't doubt there might be Virginia legislation regarding the Access Road, but I wonder whether putting a toll on there is really as simple as Virginia enacting a law.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: oscar on January 23, 2018, 11:27:20 PM
What the DAAR could really use is a 70mph speed limit, as much as it may annoy travelers on the DTR stuck with 55mph and having to pay for the privilege.

And speeding on that road is not an especially good idea, in particular westbound between VA-123 (Dolley Madison  Boulevard) and VA-684 (Spring Hill Road) through the big interchange at I-495.  Over the years (even long before MWAA took-over the Dulles Toll Road), there have been  several places where the MWAA Police like to hang-out looking for drivers in a rush to get to the airport. 

I assume more than a few of them got  banged with speeding or reckless driving tickets or maybe both (not sure if a person charged with reckless driving also gets a speeding ticket in the Commonwealth, as I have never had the pleasure, and hope that I never  do).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 31, 2018, 11:31:02 AM
Who owns the Dulles Access Road these days? I assume MWAA, given that historically the FAA owned the road and the land on which it was built. The FAA's opposition to allowing non-airport traffic on that road was one reason why the Dulles Toll Road was constructed. I don't doubt there might be Virginia legislation regarding the Access Road, but I wonder whether putting a toll on there is really as simple as Virginia enacting a law.

It was built in the early 1960's as an integral part of Dulles Airport. 

Up to the time that MWAA was created, it was patrolled by a special federal police force that was part of the Federal Aviation Administration (these were the same police as at the DCA and IAD airports themselves), and many of them were retired MPD-DC officers that were double-dipping. 

Years ago, this was a highway where people would go to see how fast their cars would run (a guy I once worked with claimed that in his youth the FAA police chased him eastbound (at speeds into the triple digits) on the DAAR to VA-123 (where the road ended), and that he lost them on the streets of McLean).

I believe ownership of the DAAR is still vested in the United States (maybe the FAA?) and that MWAA is obligated to pay the FAA a dollar a year or something symbolic like that for leasing and operating both National and Dulles Airports.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 01, 2018, 11:20:56 AM
Years ago, this was a highway where people would go to see how fast their cars would run (a guy I once worked with claimed that in his youth the FAA police chased him eastbound (at speeds into the triple digits) on the DAAR to VA-123 (where the road ended), and that he lost them on the streets of McLean).

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, I liked it as the one highway in the D.C. area where I could drive and have the "low volume rural Interstate feel".  Things like running on high beams most of the time.  That was when I lived in Alexandria and therefore was nearby.  It had no parallel DTR roadways then either, just was a rural-looking 4-lane freeway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 31, 2018, 11:31:02 AM
WTOP has an article purporting to address what is and is not working with the I-66 tolls. Most notable aspect, IMO, is that so far all the proposed legislation that would cut back the tolling hours, cap the maximum toll per person per month, etc., has been defeated in committee. I think that's a good thing because I don't think they should be rushing to make changes after less than two months of actual operation, especially (I have said this before) when those two months included the Christmas/New Year's traffic lull.

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/01/nearly-2-months-66-tolls-whats-working-whats-not/

I actually like the idea of creating a Dulles Freeway where the general lanes are free (current DTR) and there are two HOT lanes in each direction (current DAAR).   I think this will match the eventual look and feel of the other highways in the area like Beltway, I-66 (outside Beltway), and I-95/395.  It also would help address the underutilization of the DAAR.  A road that wide should not be congested, it just needs to be used in a more efficiient way.  This idea would expand the general lanes from 4 to 5 in each direction (the current HOV lane will become open to all), and reserve the DTR for HOTs (which is likely to be many more people than just those heading to the airport).

And it will also give commuters a toll break.  If you don't mind sitting in traffic, you can take the freeway for free.  This will certainly alleviate traffic on parallel roads like VA-7, especially at off-peak times. (Plus a toll option is available to allow others to skip out on traffic for a fee.)

The problem with this idea is that it will not raise as much money as the current setup. Right now practically everyone, except Dulles Airport users, is paying toll on this corridor.  Toll funds to pay for roadway maintenance and the Silver Line.  If you give these people a free option, the toll revenue will plummet, even with the provision of a HOT lane corridor.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mrsman on February 04, 2018, 02:33:43 PM
I actually like the idea of creating a Dulles Freeway where the general lanes are free (current DTR) and there are two HOT lanes in each direction (current DAAR).   I think this will match the eventual look and feel of the other highways in the area like Beltway, I-66 (outside Beltway), and I-95/395.  It also would help address the underutilization of the DAAR.  A road that wide should not be congested, it just needs to be used in a more efficiient way.  This idea would expand the general lanes from 4 to 5 in each direction (the current HOV lane will become open to all), and reserve the DTR for HOTs (which is likely to be many more people than just those heading to the airport).

And it will also give commuters a toll break.  If you don't mind sitting in traffic, you can take the freeway for free.  This will certainly alleviate traffic on parallel roads like VA-7, especially at off-peak times. (Plus a toll option is available to allow others to skip out on traffic for a fee.)

The problem with this idea is that it will not raise as much money as the current setup. Right now practically everyone, except Dulles Airport users, is paying toll on this corridor.  Toll funds to pay for roadway maintenance and the Silver Line.  If you give these people a free option, the toll revenue will plummet, even with the provision of a HOT lane corridor.

I doubt that is going to happen.  The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (which now patrols and maintains the Dulles Toll Road along with the Dulles Access Road) needs every penny, nickle, dime and quarter that it can collect in Dulles Toll Road tolls in order to service the bonds that it sold to fund most (between 52% and 53% of a total cost between $5.7 and $5.8 billion) of the design, engineering and construction expenditures of the Metro line to Dulles Airport and beyond to VA-772 in the Ashburn area of Loudoun County.

I assert that having HOV/Toll lanes in the Dulles Corridor might make some sense (so I agree with you in terms of the concept), and providing "free" lanes for drivers not wanting to pay also makes some sense, but I think MWAA feels it must collect revenue from all drivers (except those headed for its airport) in order to pay-off those bonds (not a cent of which is being paid by WMATA or Silver Line passengers).

1995hoo

WTOP reports I-66 construction outside the Beltway should get moving next month:

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/02/i-66-construction-begins/

AlexandriaVA

QuoteI-66 tolls, longer HOV hours not slowing alternative routes, data show

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/02/i-66-tolls-longer-hov-hours-not-tying-up-alternative-routes-data-show/

QuoteBoth Interstate 66 tolls for solo drivers and expanded HOV hours have not slowed traffic on most major parallel routes during the morning rush hour, Virginia transportation officials said Tuesday.

QuoteSpeeds on parallel routes, such as U.S. 50, U.S. Route 29 and Virginia Route 7, are largely unchanged from a year ago, Transportation Secretary Shannon Valentine said.

Again, nobody who was legally using I-66 during rush hour had to change what they were doing.

AlexandriaVA

Looks like it didn't take long for the "idle on the shoulder until HO/T restrictions end" strategy to take effect on I-66 inside the beltway during evening rush hour.

https://www.arlnow.com/2018/03/06/video-i-66-drivers-have-found-a-way-to-avoid-tolling/

QuoteVideos sent to ARLnow.com from a Rosslyn resident show commuters idling along the I-66 shoulder. It's unclear whether or not the drivers are waiting for the toll to lower or if they are waiting for the tolling period to end all together. The evening tolling period is from 3-7 p.m., and our tipster tells us that this happens frequently just before 7 p.m.

oscar

^ They could try waiting for the tolls to expire by using US 29 west of Rosslyn, and returning to I-66 just west of Spout Run Parkway (VA 124).

Might be time for the police to park along the I-66 WB shoulder just before the US 29 exit, to encourage drivers trying to beat the toll to exit the freeway.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 06, 2018, 11:20:43 AM
Looks like it didn't take long for the "idle on the shoulder until HO/T restrictions end" strategy to take effect on I-66 inside the beltway during evening rush hour.

https://www.arlnow.com/2018/03/06/video-i-66-drivers-have-found-a-way-to-avoid-tolling/

QuoteVideos sent to ARLnow.com from a Rosslyn resident show commuters idling along the I-66 shoulder. It's unclear whether or not the drivers are waiting for the toll to lower or if they are waiting for the tolling period to end all together. The evening tolling period is from 3-7 p.m., and our tipster tells us that this happens frequently just before 7 p.m.

Nothing new to see here. 

Back when I-66 between I-495 and the Rosslyn Tunnel was subject to HOV restrictions only, drivers would illegally stop eastbound on the left shoulder leading up to I-495 to wait for the end  of HOV at 9 AM. 

VSP troopers would chase them away or summons them if they were in the area.

Same thing westbound between  Virginia end of the T. Roosevelt Bridge and the exit to U.S. 29 prior to the Rosslyn Tunnel (when it was just an HOV restriction, it ended at 6:30 PM westbound).

Also had this dynamic on the I-395 HOV lanes southbound after the 14th Street Bridge and before the "temporary" ramp - people would wait on the shoulder illegally until the HOV restriction expired at  6 PM.  This may still be going on, since the transition to the I-395 HOV/toll lanes under Transurban has not happened yet.

Afternoons, I have seen the Arlington County Police ticketing illegally waiting drivers on I-66 and on I-395. 

1995hoo

People also do that northbound at Turkeycock in the HO/T lanes on I-395 to wait for HOV to end north of that spot.

I've seen the police showing up to ticket the shoulder-waiters near the Pentagon. It's rather dangerous because the drivers peel out and bomb into traffic without looking in their eagerness to avoid a ticket.

theroadwayone

Find him for me so we can have a drink together.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: theroadwayone on March 17, 2018, 07:11:42 PM

Find him for me so we can have a drink together.

I lost contact with him many, many years ago. 

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Are the I-66 tolls speeding up commutes? It depends

QuoteThe move to tolling and expanded HOV hours on Interstate 66 inside the Beltway has boosted speeds during the morning rush hour, but it has had little impact on travel times during the heart of the afternoon.

QuoteExtended hours for HOV rules implemented alongside the tolls have driven some faster trips on the edges of the old afternoon rush hour period, new Virginia Department of Transportation data show.

QuoteOn I-66 between Rosslyn and the Capital Beltway, the average travel time westbound between 4:15 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. was essentially unchanged in February 2018 compared with February 2017.

davewiecking

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Took '3 hours to get to work': Metro service suspension, $47 toll frustrate Virginia commuters

QuoteIt was a rough Thursday morning commute for Northern Virginia residents.

QuoteMetro had a nearly two-hour shutdown on part of its Orange and Silver lines after smoke was reported at the Virginia Square station and in tunnels between Clarendon and Ballston.

QuoteAs the Metro mess unfolded, it was no better for drivers. Congestion brought the toll for a solo driver on Interstate 66 inside the Beltway to $47.

QuoteAnd Virginia drivers trying to enter the District via the 14th Street Bridge also encountered lengthy delays, with a crash prompting authorities to close three lanes during part of the morning rush.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.