Interstate 2

Started by Strider, July 18, 2013, 11:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 13, 2021, 10:57:59 AM
I-2 does fit in the grid after all.
It's east-west, and wicked faah south bub. Farther south than FL's I-4.
Despite the other I-69 numbering nonsense in the RGV, it's a sensible number.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Mike2357

I-87 is the longest north-south intrastate highway and it it even lol. I think those rules only apply to the major parent interstates 75, 35, 95, or 10, 80, 90, but not necessarily the auxiliary ones. Although you are probably right about the reason being it is farther south than I-4, I'm so stupid to not realize that!
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

hotdogPi

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 12:05:36 PM
I-87 is the longest north-south intrastate highway and it it even lol.

87 is an odd number...
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Mike2357

Quote from: 1 on August 13, 2021, 12:07:21 PM
I-87 is the longest north-south intrastate highway and it it even lol.

87 is an odd number...

Oh I was thinking of the auxiliary ones that have to start with even/odd numbers NVM ur right

Thegeet

GreenLanternCorps

I-87 is the longest north-south intrastate highway and it it even lol. I think those rules only apply to the major parent interstates 75, 35, 95, or 10, 80, 90, but not necessarily the auxiliary ones. Although you are probably right about the reason being it is farther south than I-4, I'm so stupid to not realize that!

I could have sworn that I-45 was longer than I-87, because it's in Texas, but nope, I-87 beats it by 48 miles...

Mike2357

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on August 13, 2021, 12:58:54 PM

I could have sworn that I-45 was longer than I-87, because it's in Texas, but nope, I-87 beats it by 48 miles...

Well if you want to include the major Deegan "ExPrEsSwAy" in that mile total of I-87 LOL

Scott5114

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 10:33:14 AM
I wonder where they got the number 2 from though. How did they get that from connecting to two 69s? Also, it seems the two 69s don't connect to any other interstates themselves either, at least not yet.

It is on the southern border of the country, so it has the lowest even number. (The next-further-north east-west interstate is 4, and the next after that is 8, and then 10, and so on.)

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 01:50:51 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on August 13, 2021, 12:58:54 PM

Well if you want to include the major Deegan "ExPrEsSwAy" in that mile total of I-87 LOL

...why wouldn't you? The official southern terminus of I-87 is at I-278 in the Bronx. I-87 is 333.49 miles as officially carried by NYSDOT.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mike2357

Well you are hardly going at speeds worthy or "interstate" (or even intrastate for that matter) on the major demon expressway.

sparker

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 13, 2021, 10:57:59 AM
Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 10:33:14 AM
I wonder where they got the number 2 from though. How did they get that from connecting to two 69s? Also, it seems the two 69s don't connect to any other interstates themselves either, at least not yet.
Quote from: Thegeet on August 13, 2021, 10:50:08 AM
1. It was in all likelihood a random (but educated) number.
2. They passed a bill to allow the designations to stand. BUT, under the conditions that they will connect within 25 years of the bill.

I-2 does fit in the grid after all.

Not only that, but the existing US 83 freeway connecting the I-69E and I-69C alignments was decidedly not included in the HPC 18/20 legislation that specified 69 and/or suffixed designations (at least that's how it was interpreted by TxDOT and the Alliance for I-69/TX) for the branches, so all parties involved, including the local MPO's, picked a number that was appropriate for its location -- functionally the farthest south point in the "lower 48", so the lowest 1/2di was selected.   For a new Interstate designation, pretty damn intuitive and appropriate for once!   

Scott5114

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 04:16:06 PM
Well you are hardly going at speeds worthy or "interstate" (or even intrastate for that matter) on the major demon expressway.

That has nothing to do with the highway designation. There is no minimum speed limit, or level of service required, under Interstate standards.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sparker

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 13, 2021, 04:56:45 PM

That has nothing to do with the highway designation. There is no minimum speed limit, or level of service required, under Interstate standards.

I-68 through Cumberland, MD nods its head in agreement!

Mike2357

Well that's apparent, as I-78 in New Jersey, and I-676 are allowed interstate designations along local streets, so comparatively, you are correct actually, no reason I-87 should change.

oscar

Quote from: sparker on August 13, 2021, 05:02:32 PM

I-68 through Cumberland, MD nods its head in agreement!

Ditto Interstate H-1 in Honolulu (35mph S-curve east of the airport).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Avalanchez71

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 01, 2018, 05:25:04 AM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 01, 2018, 01:12:15 AM
The exit numbers along I-2 imply the ultimate goal would be eventual extension to Laredo. Aside from that, where else in the United States would one even be able to build an Interstate 2? The far South end of Texas is the only place that makes any sense.

Well, I-75's Alligator Alley segment would have been the only other place I-2 could have worked.

It could still work.  It could also be I-4S.

Bobby5280

It looks like the La Joya Bypass project stops at the East edge of Sullivan City. Does anyone know for certain if I-2 will be extended thru Sullivan City on the existing US-83 alignment? It would be a pretty tight squeeze, but I think it's possible for I-2 to stay on existing US-83 thru Sullivan City and farther West another 10 or so miles where the existing divided highway ends on the edge of La Puerta. I think a minimal number of properties (if any) would have to be taken for that leg of I-2. The towns of La Puerta, Rio Grande City and Roma would need a pretty substantial bypass (which is already in planning stages).

Thegeet

How long until the projected finish date?

Bobby5280

May 2023 is the projected time when Phases I and II of the La Joya Bypass project will be complete. From the look of what's visible on Google Street View (Nov 2021 imagery) it looks like they could be little ahead of schedule. If they finish ahead of time hopefully that might give a faster push for extending I-2 farther West.

edwaleni

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 14, 2021, 06:57:24 PM
May 2023 is the projected time when Phases I and II of the La Joya Bypass project will be complete. From the look of what's visible on Google Street View (Nov 2021 imagery) it looks like they could be little ahead of schedule. If they finish ahead of time hopefully that might give a faster push for extending I-2 farther West.

While it ultimately will go all the way to Laredo, I checked and don't see any plans or funding to take I-2 any further in the interim.

Until traffic west of Sullivan City increases dramatically, it may be awhile.

Bobby5280

Hopefully city planners in the towns along US-83 from Sullivan City to La Puerta can keep new businesses from building right up next to the existing roadway. Right now there is barely enough room to squeeze in a 2x2 freeway closely flanked with frontage roads.

edwaleni

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 15, 2021, 12:02:06 PM
Hopefully city planners in the towns along US-83 from Sullivan City to La Puerta can keep new businesses from building right up next to the existing roadway. Right now there is barely enough room to squeeze in a 2x2 freeway closely flanked with frontage roads.

Most of I-2 will probably involve new terrain where businesses are built up along the current US-83.

Hence the recent bypass.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 13, 2021, 07:17:11 PM
It looks like the La Joya Bypass project stops at the East edge of Sullivan City. Does anyone know for certain if I-2 will be extended thru Sullivan City on the existing US-83 alignment? It would be a pretty tight squeeze, but I think it's possible for I-2 to stay on existing US-83 thru Sullivan City and farther West another 10 or so miles where the existing divided highway ends on the edge of La Puerta. I think a minimal number of properties (if any) would have to be taken for that leg of I-2. The towns of La Puerta, Rio Grande City and Roma would need a pretty substantial bypass (which is already in planning stages).

According to Figure 5.2 of Lower Rio Grande Valley Transportation Infrastructure Priorities, it could go slightly south of the city.
https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/iro/lrgv/lrgv-ch5.pdf

Renewed roadgeek

Bobby5280

Quote from: edwaleniMost of I-2 will probably involve new terrain where businesses are built up along the current US-83.

That's understood where US-83 goes through more densely developed areas, such as a the Roma-Rio Grande City complex of towns. A bypass is planned for that. But that segment of US-83 from Sullivan City to the edge of La Puerta could be upgraded in a manner similar to what was done with US-281 going thru Falfurrias. If it doesn't carve away too much of the parking lots I think the business owners in Sullivan Cit, Alto Bonito, etc would prefer their stores not to get completely bypassed by a new Interstate.

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4According to Figure 5.2 of Lower Rio Grande Valley Transportation Infrastructure Priorities, it could go slightly south of the city.
https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/iro/lrgv/lrgv-ch5.pdf

I'm not sure how a future I-2 route could go slightly South of Sullivan City. If it bypassed the town to the South it would have to go considerably well South to avoid hitting Sam Fordyce Elementary, Sullivan City PD and a couple ponds/lakes. The next town, Narisco Pena, has a short freeway segment there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.