News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Tractor-trailers and the Holland/Lincoln tunnels

Started by Alias the J, February 28, 2019, 08:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alias the J

In trying to find historical photos of the tunnels, I found an interesting picture of the NY entrance to the Holland (description says this photo was taken in 1960) when bi-directional tolling was still in effect:

Did trucks actually using the Holland really persist until 9/11 or were there restrictions in place long before then?  The PANYNJ only restricts trucks from using the Lincoln's center tube but I wonder if they mean just big rigs or any commercial truck.  Are they trying to force all trucks onto the GWB, which is over 150 blocks away?

Alps

According to NYCRoads.com, anything under the 12'-6" height restriction was using the Holland until 2001. They can still use the Lincoln or the Verrazano. (Apparently trucks can't use Lincoln center tube, though I'm not sure if that applies during 1-way operation such as overnight closures of the other tubes.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.