Freeway lane miles per capita ratios

Started by Chris, February 10, 2009, 07:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

http://www.publicpurpose.com/hwy-tti99ratio.htm

Some of you might know that list. But it's outdated, it's from 1999, so I decided to come up with a newer list.

My source is the Texas Transportation Institute, which has definitions of urban areas and lane mileage. I just derived the freeway lane miles per 1000 inhabitants ratio from there. The list contains 85 urban areas. Note that the definition of "urban area" by TTI is not the same as MSA or CSA definitions by the U.S. Census bureau.

In the following list, we can see the freeway lane mileage per 1000 inhabitants ratio. Ofcourse, the higher, the better.

edit: I couldn't replace the comma (,) with the decimal point (.), we use the comma in the Netherlands as opposed to a point.

Lowest 35:

Highest 35:

Chris

deathtopumpkins

Would've been nice if they included state names... i.e. is that Richmond VA or Richmond CA?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Chris

Only major cities, so Richmond, VA and Charleston, SC, Portland OR, Springfield, MA, Columbus, OH the rest seems to be clear :)

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Road Warrior

Where is Greensboro??  Arent we a sizable city/metro  :angry:

Chris

If a city isn't on the list, the TTI doesn't have data of them. Des Moines and Wichita are also missing.

SSOWorld

Now is this for the population of the cit(y/ies) in question or for the who metro area?

I ask because the ratio makes more sense for Kansas City and Indianapolis, two cities that cover larger areas - but Minneapolis/St Paul?  The majority of its network is in the suburbs
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Chris

Urban area as defined by the TTI (1000 inhabitants per square mile or more). So they're not exactly the same as the U.S. Census Bureau uses, because they include many counties with only limited urbanization to a urban area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.