PC or Mac?

Started by Bryant5493, November 25, 2009, 02:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryant5493

I do produce a lot of YouTube videos. I currently have an Acer with a Windows Vista OS. It (Vista) freezes a lot when I'm in the process of producing a video and/or when I close Windows Movie Maker. I've tried to free up space, but it still freezes up from time-to-time.

So, will a Mac make a difference? I'm currently doing some research and, if I do get one, it'll be awhile from now. So, what about Final Cut Pro? Final Cut Express?

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

hbelkins

The Mac will come standard with iMovie. Depending on the video camera you use, iMovie may be able to import the footage directly to allow you to work with it.

I am currently using a Mac with iMovie; it works perfectly with my Panasonic SDS-S7 camera. I have never tried Windows Movie Maker with my Windows computers.

iMovie may be all you need, and it comes free with the Mac. Jim Georges (freewayjim) is using Final Cut but so far I haven't made that move yet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bryant5493

Yeah, I have a Vivitar DVR 840XHD camera and a Vivitar DVR 850W camera. Windows Movie Maker puts black bars on the sides, and I want to not have those in my vids. With Final Cut -- what Jim uses -- those black bars aren't there.

Thanks for the comment.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

simguy228

Windows.... My brothers laptop is running XP with Windows Media Player 12 and Windows Movie Maker. I'm running Windows Vista SP2 (My laptop is in the shop) And when it comes out of the shop, I'm upgrading to Windows 7
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

Alps

Windows XP works just fine for movies.  But enough about XP vs. Vista.  A few years ago I was in a group using a Mac for a video project.  I don't remember which software was used, but it came out quite well (at least on the production end).  I don't think you should worry either way.  But GET WINDOWS 7 NOW!

agentsteel53

I just tried 7 and it works fine but the interface takes a lot of time getting used to.  Very Office07ish.

that said, I still use the old gray Windows NT4 skin on my XP.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

I just switched from Fedora 11 x86_64 to Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64. Ubuntu is a lot faster. (I think there was some flaw in Fedora's implementation of 64-bit because the x86_64 version was much slower than the plain x86 one.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

algorerhythms

The computer I use most often is a Mac that runs Windows 7. Basically, I had the choice of paying $90 to upgrade from MacOS 10.4 to 10.6, or installing Windows 7 for free (legally). Combined with the fact that I have to use a couple Windows-only pieces of software for work, it turned out to be an easy choice.

My other computer is an old Gateway computer that runs Ubuntu 8.04. I use it primarily for MythTV.

froggie

Currently running XP on both systems.  Will likely get an iMac for my next laptop, especally since a co-worker has found software (Parallels) that might allow me to run ArcGIS on a Mac...

Hellfighter

Roadgeek Adam

PC - Macs suck - especially cause user interface is bad
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

agentsteel53

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on November 27, 2009, 11:33:56 AM
PC - Macs suck - especially cause user interface is bad

and what, pray tell, has a good user interface?  A PDP-9?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

Clarification needed: I meant I like PCs, because Macs interface suck
Adam Seth Moss

froggie

Why do you think Mac interfaces suck?

The few times I've tried Meaghan's laptop, it was easier to work than the standard Windows XP/Vista interface...

yanksfan6129

As a Mac user myself, I wouldn't give it up for anything at this point. I've had it for years now and I still don't feel that it's obsolete.

FYI, the user interface on macs is not bad. I don't know why anyone would have that idea.

Roadgeek Adam

Vista was a failure. XP is what i use

I hate the way Macs work, too many problems
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on November 27, 2009, 10:02:15 AM
Currently running XP on both systems.  Will likely get an iMac for my next laptop, especally since a co-worker has found software (Parallels) that might allow me to run ArcGIS on a Mac...

Sun Virtual Box, which I haven't tried, and VMWare Fusion, which I have tried and am not crazy about, will also work on the Mac. Or you could use Boot Camp and create a partition on your hard drive and install Windows on it and take advantage of the new Macs' Intel processors.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

I have a hard time finding things on a mac.  For example, let's say that you need to restore some items from the trash but don't know where they originally were (but must go back to the same location because of the way FinalCut works and you want the footage so you can export it to edit it with Adobe Premier on a Windows machine).  On Windows, this is easy: restore all.  On a mac, it can't be done.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

At first, I was going to say that "I can't find/don't know how to do x action" is not a legitimate reason to hate an OS...but then I looked it up, and it turns out you're right; there is no way to simply restore a file from the Trash in OS X. Take a look at this. It's sickening...OS X is legitimately lacking a feature and the Apple fanboys are actually defending it by saying "I don't believe it's a feature, it's more like a parachute for careless users. I chucked my windows boxes for very good reasons, the last thing I want is for OSX to end up like Vista or Windows 7."

In Linux someone would probably say "Hmm, that sounds like it could be useful. I'll write a patch for that/Why don't you put in a feature request?" Of course it probably helps that in Linux the people doing the kernel are different from the desktop people who are different from the user software people.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bryant5493

My mom has Windows 7 on her laptop. When we got her laptop, it was just after Windows 7 came out. So, her anti-virus protection wouldn't work, because it wasn't compatible with the new Windows 7 OS. Anyway, we called the anti-virus people, and they got it function properly. The only thing about her laptop is that it doesn't have Movie Maker. She doesn't use it, but I use her laptop from time-to-time.

So, what new functions does Windows Movie Maker on Windows 7 have that Movie Maker on Windows Vista doesn't?

Be well,

Bryant

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 28, 2009, 06:07:56 PM
At first, I was going to say that "I can't find/don't know how to do x action" is not a legitimate reason to hate an OS...
I don't hate it, but I don't believe it's the ease of use god that many people claim it is.  Like any software, it's easy once you know how.

As far as Windows 7 not having Movie Maker, a bunch of apps were removed so that it wouldn't be as bloated and so those apps could be updated more frequently than Windows.  You can download it as part of Windows Live.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

yanksfan6129

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on November 27, 2009, 06:08:24 PM
Vista was a failure. XP is what i use

I hate the way Macs work, too many problems

OK. what sort of problems? Because I've owned PC's and Macs, and I've always had less problems on Macs. Have you ever owned a mac?

mightyace

I've always owned PCs for one simple reason, Macs are too freakin' expensive.  (or I'm too cheap, LOL)

If I could easily install OS/X on my PCs, I'd do it in a minute!  (Though, I would run VMware or something similar so that I could still run Windows XP or 7!)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Hellfighter

BTW, this wat you can do on a PC, and not on a Mac...

Truvelo

I also have that app.

Edit - Hellfighter, have you overclocked yours?

Speed limits limit life

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.