News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Next Generation Police Vehicles

Started by burgess87, April 05, 2010, 10:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Quote from: bugo on April 07, 2010, 08:52:56 PM
I kinda hope the Carbon does take off.  With a unique front end and unique taillights, they will be easy to spot on the road. 

It will be a tough sell to departments. Carbon's business model is to lease these cars out, some departments might not want a deal like that. Also cost is another factor, the big 3 sell fleet police cars pretty cheaply to departments. All the above cars (except for the Caprice if GM keeps it fleet only) will have a pretty large and cheap parts source and plenty of technicians familiar with their systems.

The BMW diesel (found in the 335d btw) that Carbon is using is pretty expensive to make (due to the emissions systems) and its track record in police duty is unproven. Most fleet garages don't have the synthetic oils the motor requires or staff that knows how to fix them, heck most BMW dealers likely don't either. Carbon has hedged that BMW will keep selling the 335d here as they are basically taking advantage of the fact that BMW paid to certify that motor with the EPA. The 335d is not a hit with buyers, if BMW pulls the model from the US market and diesel emissions standards change greatly, Carbon has an an expensive problem on their hands.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 12, 2010, 12:19:30 AM
Carbon's business model is to lease these cars out, some departments might not want a deal like that.

I wonder why they are so adamant about this policy.  Retired cop cars make great vehicles - just ask the taxi industry.  There could be much value added to the vehicle given its eventual second life.

What is Carbon going to do with the reclaimed vehicle?  Build the Carbon Ranch out near Amarillo? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

QuoteThe BMW diesel (found in the 335d btw) that Carbon is using is pretty expensive to make (due to the emissions systems) and its track record in police duty is unproven. Most fleet garages don't have the synthetic oils the motor requires or staff that knows how to fix them, heck most BMW dealers likely don't either. Carbon has hedged that BMW will keep selling the 335d here as they are basically taking advantage of the fact that BMW paid to certify that motor with the EPA. The 335d is not a hit with buyers, if BMW pulls the model from the US market and diesel emissions standards change greatly, Carbon has an an expensive problem on their hands.

This is an interesting point- but I bet it works both ways. I'd wager BMW is betting the Carbon will take off in an effort to keep selling the 335d here. BMW would love nothing more than for diesels to become commonly accepted in the USA, and if Carbon takes off progress will be made greatly in that direction. Even if the Carbon doesn't take off that much, it will still sell in much greater volume than the 335d, so I don't think Carbon is hedging its hopes on the 335d staying on the market. If Carbon does sell even slightly well, BMW will continue to adapt to the market.

BMW stands to benefit from this greatly too and they'd be foolish not to put a decent amount of resources behind selling a diesel police car. If it takes off, cops will flock to diesels (both for police cars and potentially in their own civilian car purchase) and since BMW is among the best producers of passenger car diesels in the world, BMW could benefit greatly. If I were BMW, I'd be out training police mechanics myself on how to fix the diesel motors.

On that note, BMW mechanics have to go through an extensive training process as a huge part of premium car sales is the expectation of good service- I'm sure they know how to fix the cars they sell. As far as ordering synthetic oils go, it's certainly not that hard to check a different box on the order form.

The training of the fleet mechanics is a legitimate concern and it will be up to Carbon to convince police car buyers to go that route, but in the long run the car will be cheaper to operate even if it is more expensive up front- it's just a matter of convincing police buyers of that.

It will be expensive up front compared to buying a Caprice or Charger straight up, but police departments generally have to drop an extra $5-$20,000 on top of the initial roll off the line police spec vehicle to get it ready for road use. Except for decals, the Carbon will be ready to hit the road right off the line which is potentially a huge cost savings. When you buy a police-spec Charger off the line, it doesn't include a siren or light bar or license plate reader, just the wiring for those things. The Carbon will have those already built in. If it doesn't immediately save money, it will in time just by cutting a step off the assembly process (of course, that's a matter of convincing potential buyers if it doesn't immediately)

Also, diesel BMW police cars are common in Europe, so they have been used in police duty.  

As of last June there are already 10000 (ten thousand) preorders for the Carbon, so it's off to a good start.

corco

QuoteWhat is Carbon going to do with the reclaimed vehicle?  Build the Carbon Ranch out near Amarillo? 

The plan is to refurbish and part them out, which in the long run will lower the cost of parts for the Carbon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.