News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sign Companies After 2010 Census.

Started by BigMattFromTexas, April 24, 2010, 11:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

So after cities/towns get their official 2010 population, do the sign companies get like major business rushes, or what? Cause everybody who has signs with the population will need new signs...
BigMatt

un1

We simply paint over our signs every 5 years... I wouldnt see why Americans do anything differently.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

yanksfan6129

I don't know about the sign business, but the flag business is waiting for the USA to add a 51st state...

J N Winkler

It depends on what the policy is in each state, but as a general rule the decennial census does not result in a huge amount of new business for sign companies.  Population figures are not necessarily revised to the most recent census figures--sometimes the population is not updated until the sign is life-expired and a new one has to be made--while in some states the population figure change is done with an overlay.  Not all states put population figures on boundary signs (Kansas, for example, does not).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

It Varies in Illinois Usually no change unless there is a big population change.....if teh change is down there ususally isnt a rush to change the sign........

US71

In Arkansas, significant population changes are often accomplished on signs by simply covering over the old numbers with a new piece of Scotchlite. No need to replace the whole sign, though a few places have gone to simpler "Welcome" or "City Limit" signs sans population.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

huskeroadgeek

I seem to remember at some times seeing some of the faster-growing cities in NW Arkansas and a couple others elsewhere like Conway and Jonesboro that had intermediate population estimates on their signs rather than the most recent Census. An interesting thing about Arkansas too-in the mid 1990s, I saw an old black-on-white city limit sign in a small town that had a population figure from the 1970 Census. I would think it would have been replaced by now, though.

US71

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on April 26, 2010, 03:58:56 PM
I seem to remember at some times seeing some of the faster-growing cities in NW Arkansas and a couple others elsewhere like Conway and Jonesboro that had intermediate population estimates on their signs rather than the most recent Census. An interesting thing about Arkansas too-in the mid 1990s, I saw an old black-on-white city limit sign in a small town that had a population figure from the 1970 Census. I would think it would have been replaced by now, though.

Used to an old b/w in Archie, MO until a couple years ago

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.