News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NYC Bridge Photography

Started by papaT10932, April 29, 2010, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papaT10932

After 9-11, all photography on all NYC crossings (bridges and tunnels) was banned. Signs are posted clearly banning photography at each crossing. I have two questions.... is photography REALLY a security threat? and is this ban legal/enforceable?

Truvelo

I've taken many pictures of bridges in the area whilst inside the car and I expect many people on this forum have as well. As pictures are readily available on Google Earth I don't see what the fuss is all about.
Speed limits limit life

Roadgeek Adam

I have taken photos, and almost got caught by a toll security guard too
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

papaT10932

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on April 29, 2010, 01:53:11 PM

Did the security guard stop or question you?

Chris

Quote from: Truvelo on April 29, 2010, 12:46:42 PM
I've taken many pictures of bridges in the area whilst inside the car and I expect many people on this forum have as well. As pictures are readily available on Google Earth I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Last time I checked Street View didn't cover the main spans of several NYC area bridges.

mightyace

This has been an issue in the railfan community too.

Photographers have been hassled by local and railroad police even when shooting from public property.

Now, if you're on the property of a private-sector railroad, you're trespassing and that's another story.

Last year, a battle with New Jersey Transit was finally won after much public pressure.  Before their "ban" was lifted, NJT police would harass or arrest you for shooting from a train station platform which is considered both public property and a public place.

That's gone, but if you go down to an Amtrak platform, say at Penn Station in New York and try and take photos, don't be surprised if Amtrak police try to take you or your camera away.

Whether it's trains, planes or automobiles, if you shoot photos from public property or with the permission of the property owner, you're constitutionally in the right.  (But, as many of us have noted, not everyone cares about the constitution.)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: mightyace on April 29, 2010, 05:01:13 PM
This has been an issue in the railfan community too.

Photographers have been hassled by local and railroad police even when shooting from public property.

Now, if you're on the property of a private-sector railroad, you're trespassing and that's another story.

Last year, a battle with New Jersey Transit was finally won after much public pressure.  Before their "ban" was lifted, NJT police would harass or arrest you for shooting from a train station platform which is considered both public property and a public place.

That's gone, but if you go down to an Amtrak platform, say at Penn Station in New York and try and take photos, don't be surprised if Amtrak police try to take you or your camera away.

Whether it's trains, planes or automobiles, if you shoot photos from public property or with the permission of the property owner, you're constitutionally in the right.  (But, as many of us have noted, not everyone cares about the constitution.)

Yeah, I photograph from NJ Transit platforms all the time (see my Flickr page). I still hide my camera when conductors are on the platform though.

Quote from: papaT10932 on April 29, 2010, 01:55:00 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on April 29, 2010, 01:53:11 PM

Did the security guard stop or question you?

No, but the look on her face was classic upset.
Adam Seth Moss

Scott5114

I got harassed by an ISTHA toll collector for taking a photo of her toll booth during the Chicago meet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rickmastfan67

That is why when they have an open house for a toll highway, go crazy on pictures. ;)  I took pictures of almost everything when they had the open house on PA Turnpike 576. :)  I even walked accross the ramps over I-376 (Then PA-60) to get the end shields.

And here's a shot that you wouldn't be able to get normally. :)

Alex

I have photographed all of the bridges in NYC I have crossed during the daylight (still have only posted about half of them on the site). Google Street View had pics of the bridges at one point, but those were since removed. Ironically pics of all tunnels but the Battery Tunnel are still online!

Alps

I have photos of most of the bridges and tunnels... I thought the ban was on the Port Authority side only, though.  It's all the city owned bridges?  I don't recall any signs to that effect.  Or is it just the TBTA bridges/tunnels?

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

Ironically, the Verrazanno was the bridge where that incident happened - but I saw the sign on the Staten Island side
Adam Seth Moss

mgk920

I don't know, but just a quick check, the Queensboro, Williamsburg, Manhattan and Brooklyn bridges and the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels are up on GE.

I don't really know what they are trying to achieve by doing that, anyways, as copious images of all of the crossings already exist and ANYONE with any knowledge of engineering will know everything about their structures and their major 'weak spots'.

Mike

papaT10932

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 29, 2010, 09:30:37 PM
I have photos of most of the bridges and tunnels... I thought the ban was on the Port Authority side only, though.  It's all the city owned bridges?  I don't recall any signs to that effect.  Or is it just the TBTA bridges/tunnels?

I have never seen signs banning photography on the city owned bridges... only the TBTA crossings and NY-NJ crossings. The Brooklyn Bridge gets so much foot traffic that banning photography from being taken on the span would be impossible, otherwise they probably would ban it there too.

Scott5114

Quote from: papaT10932 on April 29, 2010, 11:45:47 PM
The Brooklyn Bridge gets so much foot traffic that banning photography from being taken on the span would be impossible, otherwise they probably would ban it there too.

Plus it's widely regarded as an architectural landmark. Banning photography of it would probably bring much more scorn upon the public authorities than any of the other "forbidden" bridges would.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2010, 12:47:29 AM

Plus it's widely regarded as an architectural landmark. Banning photography of it would probably bring much more scorn upon the public authorities than any of the other "forbidden" bridges would.

apparently, the Verrazano is chopped liver.

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

Geez, such "no photos" signs remember me of the communist era in Eastern Europe. You wasn't supposed to take pics of bridges, border stations, railway stations, subway stations, etc.

Truvelo

It reminds me of when I took this picture of the stone between Hungary and Croatia with the border guard shouting NO PHOTO. Is this picture really helpful in helping terrorists blow up Croatia?

Speed limits limit life

Dougtone

Quote from: papaT10932 on April 29, 2010, 12:22:38 PM
After 9-11, all photography on all NYC crossings (bridges and tunnels) was banned. Signs are posted clearly banning photography at each crossing. I have two questions.... is photography REALLY a security threat? and is this ban legal/enforceable?

I believe that at the MTA bridge and tunnel crossings, there was a rule about taking pictures at the crossings before 9-11 happened, but it wasn't really enforced or really even mentioned until after 9-11.  The NYSBA also had a photography ban in place for a while, but that has since been repealed.

agentsteel53

that's an old boundary marker.  MNK is Magyar Nepkoztarsasag, aka "People's Republic of Hungary".  The commie title was used from the late 1940s (I forget the exact year? 1947? 1949?) to 1989/90 or so.

jake@aaroads.com

HalifaxTravaler

Thats too bad,i am traveling from Nova Scotia to North Carolina in a few weeks,i was hoping maybe i could get some pic of some bridges in the NYC area.Might try to sneak a few though.Strange law though,just go read the book called six bridges,it talks about the 6 major bridges in NYC also has a lot of details about their design.

Duke87

I talked to someone working for the Port Authority at the George Washington Bridge about this once. Basically, they aren't worried about tourists snapping photos, but they apparently have caught people obviously intentionally taking closeups of the steel framework and whatnot, and that is cause for concern.
But, since it's impractical to write or enforce a selective ban on certain things, they just blanketly ban the whole bridge.

...although, they did let us whip out the cameras to snap the view from the top of the tower:

Also, yes, it's MTA Bridges and Tunnels and the Port Authority that have bans. NYCDOT and NYSDOT bridges are perfectly legal to take pictures on.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

xcellntbuy

corco

QuoteI talked to someone working for the Port Authority at the George Washington Bridge about this once. Basically, they aren't worried about tourists snapping photos, but they apparently have caught people obviously intentionally taking closeups of the steel framework and whatnot, and that is cause for concern.
But, since it's impractical to write or enforce a selective ban on certain things, they just blanketly ban the whole bridge.

It seems to me that while the actual law can be a blanket ban, actual enforcement only needs to occur when people are taking closeups of steel framework. This country selectively enforces laws all the time. Why not this one?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.